Careers

Does this seem toxic or am I overreacting?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2020 7:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1366 posts
799 upvotes
ottawa

Does this seem toxic or am I overreacting?

Hey RFD,

My workplace since May has gone into a bit of a tailspin. Revenues in 2019 were the best we've had in our history as a company, we were firing on all cylinders in every industry we operate in. Since May however, our revenues started to decline quite rapidly in one sector (as it relied on travel), and the other started to decline slowly with Q4 year over year appearing to be down from last year at this point (which was propped up because of the election).

Over the past couple weeks I've noticed a lot of work starting to get outsourced from mine and my colleagues teams, even though this is the same team that got us to our success last year. The outsourced workers so far have not done anything majorly different, but the responsibility of owning the performance still falls in our (my colleagues and mine's) hands. Now they've resorted to requesting daily reports on productivity, reviewing calendars for what people are doing, reporting what you're doing with all your "free time" (which by the way I've seen everyone on chats signing off around 9-10pm for months now), and end meetings and conversations by saying "I'm just trying to keep us all employed".

I had some career progression plans at this company but I'm starting to feel the burn out and am wondering if I'm just over thinking what's going on here and unfortunately just need to push through this to perform for the business, or does this sound like a place I should get out of quickly?

What are your thoughts?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
The writing is on the wall...your employer is looking to eliminate redundancies.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12332 posts
8754 upvotes
Edmonton
I probably would have started updating my resume when the outsourcing started, especially since it sounds like you took a major hit from the travel industry. That industry isn't going to recover anytime quickly. Speaking as someone in the industry... :)

C
Dec 12, 2012
299 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
They’re basically looking for anyone who can be outsourced and do the same job for much lower wage. If your job is replaceable by one of the outsourced workers, start updating your resume and thinking about sev package
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14600 posts
10842 upvotes
Outsourcing? Bro they are telling you what’s about to happen. Get that resume updated and start looking. At least it’s obvious. The worst is when you don’t see it coming.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1730 posts
2027 upvotes
Update the resume and decide what sectors interest you and start looking.

Almost sounds like they are building a case for lack of performance and go the route of dismissal with cause rather than a layoff. Which would take longer but they gets them off the hook for severance. If you are let go with cause, don't believe you qualify for EI? Not sure, others can comment.

Hopefully, I am wrong but as others of said, start the process. Better to be driving in these sort of situations especially in the current environment. GL.
Last edited by maple1 on Nov 8th, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14600 posts
10842 upvotes
maple1 wrote: Update the resume and decide what sectors interest you and start looking.

Almost sounds like they are building a case for lack of performance and go the route of dismissal with cause rather than a layoff. Which would take longer but they gets them off the hook for severance. If you are let go with cause, don't believe you qualify for EI? Not sure, other can comment.

Hopefully, I am wrong but as others of said, start the process. Better to be driving in these sort of situations especially in the current environment. GL.
This is why you put yourself first, always. Your loyalty should be to you and only you. Not a company. They will get rid of you while you're in the hospital if it means they can save money. It is what it is.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1366 posts
799 upvotes
ottawa
JayLove06 wrote: This is why you put yourself first, always. Your loyalty should be to you and only you. Not a company. They will get rid of you while you're in the hospital if it means they can save money. It is what it is.
Kind of what it's seeming like - to me it's the same team that brought us so much success last year, best year on record. I am looking but I'm being relatively choosey. Worst thing is the changes are actually costing more money not saving.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5125 posts
1324 upvotes
Trust your gut.

If you think something up, it behooves you to assume something is up, and take appropriate actions ... in this case, testing your market value in the event your department gets repurposed or packaged out. You don't want to be that guy when it happens that goes "I knew something was up!" but doesn't have a plan ... that guy is a fool.
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."