• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2019 10:20 pm
[OP]
Dec 28, 2014
131 posts
21 upvotes
Victoria, BC

Does Shaw still use DCX3400-M PVRs?

One of our old pvr's dying since we did a power cycle and now all of the recordings are deleted and we tried power cycling many times but it never came back..the shaw guy even mentioned it's probably on its way out since we said we've been having problems with freezing during playback too and lost portions of a recording..

we have a spare DCX3510-M model but i much preferred the 3400 version..although i don't know if Shaw still has these boxes to give out

Does anyone know if shaw still has them and give them out to replace? it isn't listed on their list of pvr's that were discontinued so i'd imagine they would right? We never rented them too btw it's now fully ours...

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/ ... /ta-p/5181
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3766 posts
997 upvotes
Can always get a used one of Kijjiji . Just need to call Shaw to add it to your account
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12931 posts
2223 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If you buy a used one, make sure you ask the seller for the Host serial number first, so you can verify with Shaw that it is not registered on anyone's account or a rental. Otherwise, it's a brick. It might work for a short time, but once it gets "zapped", good luck trying to get it added/reprogrammed.

Host S/N is #3:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5660 posts
2495 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Can the HD be swapped out?

FWIW, Shaw cable boxes are frequently seen in thrift shops. Some places have taken to not accepting them.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2014
131 posts
21 upvotes
Victoria, BC
yeah the guy mentioned that i can try to find it used although only through a trusted retailer. i'm not so sure i can trust the used ads however...maybe i can call shaw first to see if they have another of these
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12931 posts
2223 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
You can buy a used box from anyone, but just verify that the serial number is clean first.

I bought a box off someone on Craigslist. I was feeling lazy/lucky, so didn't bother asking for the serial first. Girl was living in a high rent area of Vancouver, so it's not worth her time to rip someone off for $50. She said that she was moving, and was also selling her cable modem. Everything was fine. I got to enjoy the premium channels she subscribed to for awhile, and then when her Shaw account was cancelled, I had to phone in and get the box programmed for my subscriptions. Since her account was cancelled, the box was no longer registered to any account = clean.

Like I said, just ask the seller for the Host SN. If they balk, just tell them why you need it. Once you get it, contact Shaw and get them to look it up. If it's clean, then the box is safe to buy. If they say it's still registered on someone's account. get back to the seller and tell them that they need to contact Shaw and get it deregistered first. If they hem and haw, time to move on to the next ad. It can be a hassle, but it's a simple process. Well, it's simple if you're not dealing with someone who is braindead :D .
[OP]
Dec 28, 2014
131 posts
21 upvotes
Victoria, BC
rabbit wrote: You can buy a used box from anyone, but just verify that the serial number is clean first.

I bought a box off someone on Craigslist. I was feeling lazy/lucky, so didn't bother asking for the serial first. Girl was living in a high rent area of Vancouver, so it's not worth her time to rip someone off for $50. She said that she was moving, and was also selling her cable modem. Everything was fine. I got to enjoy the premium channels she subscribed to for awhile, and then when her Shaw account was cancelled, I had to phone in and get the box programmed for my subscriptions. Since her account was cancelled, the box was no longer registered to any account = clean.

Like I said, just ask the seller for the Host SN. If they balk, just tell them why you need it. Once you get it, contact Shaw and get them to look it up. If it's clean, then the box is safe to buy. If they say it's still registered on someone's account. get back to the seller and tell them that they need to contact Shaw and get it deregistered first. If they hem and haw, time to move on to the next ad. It can be a hassle, but it's a simple process. Well, it's simple if you're not dealing with someone who is braindead :D .
oh ok, thanks for letting me know. i see them selling on ebay so maybe i can get it from them. i'm just not comfortable buying/selling in person but a lot of people seem to think 25-40 is more reasonable so maybe i can get it down to that with the seller. i'll have to make sure to ask them to deregister it too cause i doubt they'll have the channels we have lol. i always worry that these boxes might get discontinued or they'll fail quickly too like mine us...kinda sucks we have to only buy shaw pvr devices and not brand new ones :/. i know the SN thing works though after registering the DCX3150-M recently so the process seems easy enough. i guess that means shaw doesn't have anymore of these to give out too...i wonder if they're using that ARRIS box now..

thanks for the help Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2528 posts
729 upvotes
rabbit wrote: If you buy a used one, make sure you ask the seller for the Host serial number first, so you can verify with Shaw that it is not registered on anyone's account or a rental. Otherwise, it's a brick. It might work for a short time, but once it gets "zapped", good luck trying to get it added/reprogrammed.

Host S/N is #3:
I'm pretty sure the first one is the number he wants to verify.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
mdb1983 wrote: i much preferred the 3400 version..although i don't know if Shaw still has these boxes to give out

Does anyone know if shaw still has them and give them out to replace? it isn't listed on their list of pvr's that were discontinued so i'd imagine they would right? We never rented them too btw it's now fully ours...

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/ ... /ta-p/5181
No, Shaw Has not had the DCX3400 for ages and definitely will not provide phased out hardware... It’s all Arris these days. You have to remember too that the DCX3400 is nearly 10 years old now and you will most likely run into issues eventually with it if buying used.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2014
131 posts
21 upvotes
Victoria, BC
sandy_beach wrote: No, Shaw Has not had the DCX3400 for ages and definitely will not provide phased out hardware... It’s all Arris these days. You have to remember too that the DCX3400 is nearly 10 years old now and you will most likely run into issues eventually with it if buying used.
oh ok, i figured so..that's what people have told me too..i've seen the Arris too being the ones offered now so i guess i should live with it. do you know if it uses the Iguide rather than the navigator though? thanks for telling me
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4336 posts
4386 upvotes
Vancouver
mdb1983 wrote: oh ok, i figured so..that's what people have told me too..i've seen the Arris too being the ones offered now so i guess i should live with it. do you know if it uses the Iguide rather than the navigator though? thanks for telling me
I still have Shaw's Arris Gateway PVR. It's pretty much the same thing as the DCX3400. They're really bad PVRs. Poorly-designed GUI, erratic recording, overpriced, oversized, and consume way too much power. The Telus PVR of the same generation was way better - better GUI, smaller, cheaper, lower power consumption. The problem is that Shaw has no choice - the gear is developed by just a couple of manufacturers who cater to the U.S. cable industry and don't know or care anything about Canada. Shaw has no influence whatsoever on the design or priorities for improvement - they take what they can get.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
Scote64 wrote: I still have Shaw's Arris Gateway PVR. It's pretty much the same thing as the DCX3400. They're really bad PVRs. Poorly-designed GUI, erratic recording, overpriced, oversized, and consume way too much power. The Telus PVR of the same generation was way better - better GUI, smaller, cheaper, lower power consumption. The problem is that Shaw has no choice - the gear is developed by just a couple of manufacturers who cater to the U.S. cable industry and don't know or care anything about Canada. Shaw has no influence whatsoever on the design or priorities for improvement - they take what they can get.
The gateway is nothing like the 3400 lol.. it’s actually a pretty good pvr. I currently use the gateway and have had it since the beginning and it’s a huge advance from the 3400 which is also the box I had before I switched to gateway. The arris gateway has a much better and much different and more advanced/modern GUI than previous Motorola boxes. The gateway has been pretty reliable for me and i haven’t noticed that much power consumption with it either.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4336 posts
4386 upvotes
Vancouver
sandy_beach wrote: The gateway is nothing like the 3400 lol.. it’s actually a pretty good pvr. I currently use the gateway and have had it since the beginning and it’s a huge advance from the 3400 which is also the box I had before I switched to gateway. The arris gateway has a much better and much different and more advanced/modern GUI than previous Motorola boxes. The gateway has been pretty reliable for me and i haven’t noticed that much power consumption with it either.
The gateway is awful! I've seldom seen such a poorly-designed GUI. As for the power consumption, try using a power meter on it. The standby mode was so unreliable that Shaw simply disabled standby and leaves it powered on fully all the time - to heck with power consumption.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
Scote64 wrote: The gateway is awful! I've seldom seen such a poorly-designed GUI. As for the power consumption, try using a power meter on it. The standby mode was so unreliable that Shaw simply disabled standby and leaves it powered on fully all the time - to heck with power consumption.
What do you find is poorly designed with the GUI?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4336 posts
4386 upvotes
Vancouver
sandy_beach wrote: What do you find is poorly designed with the GUI?
Multiple menus accessed in different ways for no good reason, long pop-up lists of badly-ordered functions in tiny lower-case text, icons that add nothing, menu pages that back out to a different location than where you entered, program info spread over multiple pages accessed with unique forward/back keys. This interface was haphazardly thrown together by someone with no GUI design experience and nobody told them to go back and refine it.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12931 posts
2223 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Phat_cow wrote: I'm pretty sure the first one is the number he wants to verify.
Before completing the activation, please have the following items ready:
  • Serial Number: Found on the rear of your Digital Box labeled as Host SN or printed below a bar code
  • Account Number: Found at the top your monthly Shaw bill
-- https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/ ... /ta-p/5085

FYI, I find it handy to keep all my receivers' Host SNs in a text file. Makes it easier when one is on the fritz and I have to contact Shaw.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
Scote64 wrote: Multiple menus accessed in different ways for no good reason, long pop-up lists of badly-ordered functions in tiny lower-case text, icons that add nothing, menu pages that back out to a different location than where you entered, program info spread over multiple pages accessed with unique forward/back keys. This interface was haphazardly thrown together by someone with no GUI design experience and nobody told them to go back and refine it.
Yeah I know what you mean. One thing about the arris boxes though is that they can’t have things certain ways due to Motorola patents so in some ways they had no choice.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5660 posts
2495 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
FWIW, the newer Telus PVRs and STBs are also Arris now (used to be Microsoft (who developed it?) which sold the biz to Cisco who must have sold it to Arris. Interfae seems to be the same as when it was MS (been using Telus stuff since or possibly before '09).
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
May 9, 2018
30 posts
21 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: I still have Shaw's Arris Gateway PVR. It's pretty much the same thing as the DCX3400. They're really bad PVRs. Poorly-designed GUI, erratic recording, overpriced, oversized, and consume way too much power. The Telus PVR of the same generation was way better - better GUI, smaller, cheaper, lower power consumption. The problem is that Shaw has no choice - the gear is developed by just a couple of manufacturers who cater to the U.S. cable industry and don't know or care anything about Canada. Shaw has no influence whatsoever on the design or priorities for improvement - they take what they can get.
The gateways are worse than the 3400s. I bought a gateway system around 4 years ago. In that span I've had one of the portals die, and the gateway die (was replaced by a reconditioned one, which then died after a week). Conversely my 2 old 3400s are with my parents now, both with 0 problems after 8 years.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9963 posts
1967 upvotes
Victoria
This is crazy. I haven't had shaw cable in 4.5 years and this was the model I was using. A 3400 DVR for the living room, and the 3200 nondvr in the office. They were great boxes. Now that I cut the cord they just sit in the closet getting dusty.