Shopping Discussion

Does Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix carry new video games on their launch dates?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2019 3:56 pm
[OP]
Jun 26, 2019
3 posts

Does Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix carry new video games on their launch dates?

This Friday, June 28, 2019, Super Mario Maker 2 for the Nintendo Switch is being released at all official Nintendo resellers (Best Buy, Amazon.ca, EBGames and Walmart). While Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix sell Switch console and games, they are not an official Nintendo reseller. Furthermore, this friday I have a 20x Optimum Points deal if I buy $60 or more, so it would be a perfect start off the summer buy getting SMM2 at Shoppers on launch day with a 20x Optimum points deal.

Can anyone confirm or deny that Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix sells new video games on their launch dates?
12 replies
Oct 9, 2011
486 posts
179 upvotes
Chunk1978 wrote: This Friday, June 28, 2019, Super Mario Maker 2 for the Nintendo Switch is being released at all official Nintendo resellers (Best Buy, Amazon.ca, EBGames and Walmart). While Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix sell Switch console and games, they are not an official Nintendo reseller. Furthermore, this friday I have a 20x Optimum Points deal if I buy $60 or more, so it would be a perfect start off the summer buy getting SMM2 at Shoppers on launch day with a 20x Optimum points deal.

Can anyone confirm or deny that Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix sells new video games on their launch dates?
I believe Switch console was available at launch day (but was sold out very quickly). I remember seeing Super Smash Bros. the day after launch, on a Saturday, so it's possible some big stores will have it on Friday.
[OP]
Jun 26, 2019
3 posts
Well, I check 2 big Shopper's Drug Mart stores in my area and neither of them had the game. Oh well.
Aug 30, 2016
30 posts
9 upvotes
I bought a copy of it from Shoppers on Saturday. I'm in Vancouver
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2383 posts
951 upvotes
Quebec
Bought mine in saint-eustache quebec on Friday the release date with the 20x points :)

The other 2 Pharmaprix didn’t had the game yet
[OP]
Jun 26, 2019
3 posts
Got my copy at the Pharmaprix on rue Ontario and rue Papnieau in Montreal yesterday with 20 x Optimum Points (which offset the cost of the game by about $25!). The cashier, who was younger, said that at least their store doesn't get games on the launch date, usually 4 or 5 days after.

Also, I didn't see the game on display behind the counter with the other Switch games, so I assumed they didn't have it, but he had a bunch of copies of the game in a drawer, so it never hurts to ask.
Jan 18, 2018
298 posts
411 upvotes
Anyone know if any stores in Mississauga Ontario (or nearby) carry Mario maker 2?
I visited 2, and called 3 others, and none of them had it in stock.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1667 posts
839 upvotes
a2younis wrote: Anyone know if any stores in Mississauga Ontario (or nearby) carry Mario maker 2?
I visited 2, and called 3 others, and none of them had it in stock.
Last week at Eglinton & Hurontario had multiple copies of games.
Best to call ahead before heading out.

I'm trying to track down Mario Tennis atm. (any lead tia)
To take advantage of the 20x points promo.
Jan 18, 2018
298 posts
411 upvotes
Thanks

That's one of the ones I went to, they said they didn't have it, and they claimed they hadn't gotten Mario maker 2 at all yet.

Anyway, got it from toys r us with $15 coupon.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3565 posts
2154 upvotes
Vancouver
They get 0-2 in most stores but most of the time its in the back. Not all stores will get them of course but if the store sell consoles and other games, they generally will get 1-2.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1667 posts
839 upvotes
Hopefully this helps anyone who's looking for the game, SDM @ Cawthra & Burnhamthrope got 4x copies.
Jan 18, 2018
298 posts
411 upvotes
Nice.
I have 20x today.

So now do I get a copy from shoppers and return it to toys r us? I think I'd save ~$10 more :).
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1667 posts
839 upvotes
a2younis wrote: Nice.
I have 20x today.

So now do I get a copy from shoppers and return it to toys r us? I think I'd save ~$10 more :).
Whatever works, hope you kept your toys r us receipt.