Does Staples do rainchecks?

A few items are on special but OOS.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8552 posts
11762 upvotes
GTA
Good question. What did Staples say when you called them?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
berrytree wrote: A few items are on special but OOS.
Nope and most stores actually dont do rainchecks and almost never do for sales/special. Rainchecks are actually not to popular outside safeway corporations (or specifically freshco). They are the only ones who seem to always promote offering rainchecks.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
Paigne wrote: Nope and most stores actually dont do rainchecks and almost never do for sales/special. Rainchecks are actually not to popular outside safeway corporations (or specifically freshco). They are the only ones who seem to always promote offering rainchecks.
Crappy Tire does too.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes
tew wrote: Good question. What did Staples say when you called them?
No need to be a smart ass. If I wanted to call I would have. Sometimes we ask questions on this forum. It's OK.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes
Paigne wrote: Oh yeah forgot about them.
London Drugs also does.

Thanks to all of you.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
berrytree wrote: London Drugs also does.

Thanks to all of you.
It’s hit or miss with LD. Of course I don’t shop there regularly but I remember trying to get a rain check on a shaver (sale not clearance but they were oos) but manager said they don’t offer rain check on sale items. It was years ago and I ended up price matching elsewhere (think I ended up making a rare purchase at Canadian tire lol).
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes
Paigne wrote: It’s hit or miss with LD. Of course I don’t shop there regularly but I remember trying to get a rain check on a shaver (sale not clearance but they were oos) but manager said they don’t offer rain check on sale items. It was years ago and I ended up price matching elsewhere (think I ended up making a rare purchase at Canadian tire lol).
Interesting. Mine has always worked but maybe mine are always small items, that's why.
Aug 12, 2014
689 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Paigne wrote: It’s hit or miss with LD. Of course I don’t shop there regularly but I remember trying to get a rain check on a shaver (sale not clearance but they were oos) but manager said they don’t offer rain check on sale items. It was years ago and I ended up price matching elsewhere (think I ended up making a rare purchase at Canadian tire lol).
the purpose of a rain check is to let you buy a sale item later for the same selling price that is currently not in stock.

in order to avoid being alleged for practising "bait and switch selling" under section 74.04 of the competition act, the seller can offer a rain check to the customer when the product is out of stock.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
wirespeed wrote: the purpose of a rain check is to let you buy a sale item later for the same selling price that is currently not in stock.

in order to avoid being alleged for practising "bait and switch selling" under section 74.04 of the competition act, the seller can offer a rain check to the customer when the product is out of stock.
I’m pretty sure everyone in this thread knows what a rain check is but it doesn’t mean everyone offers it. And most flyers actually do have fine prints like while quantities last.
Feb 23, 2021
31 posts
51 upvotes
berrytree wrote: No need to be a smart ass. If I wanted to call I would have. Sometimes we ask questions on this forum. It's OK.
Why be scared to dial the phone for human interaction though? You would have had an accurate answer in less time than creating this post.
Aug 12, 2014
689 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Paigne wrote: I’m pretty sure everyone in this thread knows what a rain check is but it doesn’t mean everyone offers it. And most flyers actually do have fine prints like while quantities last.
they can print all the fine prints that they want but it doesn't mean that their back is cover from the law.

https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic ... 89T-7TDNA5

if you weren't offered a rain check and the item is not in reasonable quantity. why not make a complaint just to see how it turns out.

Definition of bargain price

74.04 (1) For the purposes of this section, bargain price means

(a) a price that is represented in an advertisement to be a bargain price by reference to an ordinary price or otherwise; or

(b) a price that a person who reads, hears or sees the advertisement would reasonably understand to be a bargain price by reason of the prices at which the product advertised or like products are ordinarily supplied.

Marginal note:Bait and switch selling

(2) A person engages in reviewable conduct who advertises at a bargain price a product that the person does not supply in reasonable quantities having regard to the nature of the market in which the person carries on business, the nature and size of the person’s business and the nature of the advertisement.

Marginal note:Saving

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a person who establishes that

(a) the person took reasonable steps to obtain in adequate time a quantity of the product that would have been reasonable having regard to the nature of the advertisement, but was unable to obtain such a quantity by reason of events beyond the person’s control that could not reasonably have been anticipated;

(b) the person obtained a quantity of the product that was reasonable having regard to the nature of the advertisement, but was unable to meet the demand therefor because that demand surpassed the person’s reasonable expectations; or

(c) after becoming unable to supply the product in accordance with the advertisement, the person undertook to supply the same product or an equivalent product of equal or better quality at the bargain price and within a reasonable time to all persons who requested the product and who were not supplied with it during the time when the bargain price applied, and the person fulfilled the undertaking. (rain check)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
wirespeed wrote: they can print all the fine prints that they want but it doesn't mean that their back is cover from the law.

https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic ... 89T-7TDNA5

if you weren't offered a rain check and the item is not in reasonable quantity. why not make a complaint just to see how it turns out.

Definition of bargain price

74.04 (1) For the purposes of this section, bargain price means

(a) a price that is represented in an advertisement to be a bargain price by reference to an ordinary price or otherwise; or

(b) a price that a person who reads, hears or sees the advertisement would reasonably understand to be a bargain price by reason of the prices at which the product advertised or like products are ordinarily supplied.

Marginal note:Bait and switch selling

(2) A person engages in reviewable conduct who advertises at a bargain price a product that the person does not supply in reasonable quantities having regard to the nature of the market in which the person carries on business, the nature and size of the person’s business and the nature of the advertisement.

Marginal note:Saving

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a person who establishes that

(a) the person took reasonable steps to obtain in adequate time a quantity of the product that would have been reasonable having regard to the nature of the advertisement, but was unable to obtain such a quantity by reason of events beyond the person’s control that could not reasonably have been anticipated;

(b) the person obtained a quantity of the product that was reasonable having regard to the nature of the advertisement, but was unable to meet the demand therefor because that demand surpassed the person’s reasonable expectations; or

(c) after becoming unable to supply the product in accordance with the advertisement, the person undertook to supply the same product or an equivalent product of equal or better quality at the bargain price and within a reasonable time to all persons who requested the product and who were not supplied with it during the time when the bargain price applied, and the person fulfilled the undertaking. (rain check)
Problem is it would be hard to know how limited the quantity was. It’s not like a customer will be able to tell exactly how much inventory a store has unless they advertise it. So it’s hard to prove rather or not inventory was reasonable nor do you really know what the definition of reasonable really is. And if they advertise it then it’s not bait and switch. Plus honestly I would rather spend my time finding a solution instead of filing a complaint (namely price match elsewhere).

Rainchecks really don’t seem too common anymore rather the opposite seems more common. Limited sale quantity that is actually less than stock level.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Paigne wrote: Nope and most stores actually dont do rainchecks and almost never do for sales/special. Rainchecks are actually not to popular outside safeway corporations (or specifically freshco). They are the only ones who seem to always promote offering rainchecks.
RCSS offers RCs, including on sale items.

Actually I prefer RCs during sales because often the most popular type or flavour, etc. runs out or selection is poor. I'd rather get a RC then come back a week or two later when the item has been restocked with fresh stock in all varieties.

This also lets me stock up in quantity. RCSS does limit quantities to 4 or 6 though.

And AFAIK Galen's other stores still do RCs,

See also https://www.canadiansavingsgroup.ca/lea ... ainchecks/ although it's not clear when this list was last updated.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes
AirMilesChamp wrote: Why be scared to dial the phone for human interaction though? You would have had an accurate answer in less time than creating this post.
And how long did it take you to write this? The sanctimonious people on RFD just itching to lecture like a grand old father is silly. I wanted to write it and I did. No-one was "scared" of anything.
Go find someone else to lecture.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes
bylo wrote: RCSS offers RCs, including on sale items.

Actually I prefer RCs during sales because often the most popular type or flavour, etc. runs out or selection is poor. I'd rather get a RC then come back a week or two later when the item has been restocked with fresh stock in all varieties.

This also lets me stock up in quantity. RCSS does limit quantities to 4 or 6 though.

And AFAIK Galen's other stores still do RCs,

See also https://www.canadiansavingsgroup.ca/lea ... ainchecks/ although it's not clear when this list was last updated.
Thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)