Automotive

Does this tensioner pulley needs replacement...

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2019 9:03 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2477 posts
478 upvotes

Does this tensioner pulley needs replacement...

Changed the drive belt yesterday and noticed that tensioner pulley is making some noise when turned with the hand. What do you guys think? Ignore the background humming noise which is not from the car. Car is 2003 Accord 4 cyl 174440 kms

https://streamable.com/s/d9drl/owmrca
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5277 posts
2840 upvotes
Toronto
If it's $10, just change it along with the belt.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2477 posts
478 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: If it's $10, just change it along with the belt.
Well its not like under 10 for sure.. Indeed it comes with the tensioner assembly ( the pivot for the pulley) . It is not a super tough job but in order to get in there , I would need to remove power steering pump . Getting OEM parts in Winnipeg is getting expensive ( Dealers here charge approx. 1.5 times price of Toronto) . Same with Mechanics..
I am trying to judge if it can still give me few 10s of thousands of kms..
I hope these things dont fail like suddenly ....
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5277 posts
2840 upvotes
Toronto
If it fails suddenly due to seize, picture it turning into strapnel.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
I replaced a belt on the 97 Malibu around 120k and two weeks later the pulley exploded when I was driving home. Coincidences? Was a tough ride home, but I drove without power steering in the past. Water pump also needed replacement after that. So...

Make the call and be happy with the call you make and circumstances.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35221 posts
21195 upvotes
Center of Universe
On my Hondas, I had the tensioner, along with the water pump and timing belt replaced.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2477 posts
478 upvotes
koffey wrote: I replaced a belt on the 97 Malibu around 120k and two weeks later the pulley exploded when I was driving home. Coincidences? Was a tough ride home, but I drove without power steering in the past. Water pump also needed replacement after that. So...

Make the call and be happy with the call you make and circumstances.
So they do fail suddenly eh..
The sudden failure of tensioner might have caused some impact on the water pump but to the extent that it required replacement, I am not sure of that .. May be pump was failing already
If the drive belt system fails, you lose power steering that is still ok but how did you survive overheating engine ( due to water pump not working anymore) and the battery drainage due to alternator not working anymore...
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
Asker123 wrote: So they do fail suddenly eh..
The sudden failure of tensioner might have caused some impact on the water pump but to the extent that it required replacement, I am not sure of that .. May be pump was failing already
If the drive belt system fails, you lose power steering that is still ok but how did you survive overheating engine ( due to water pump not working anymore) and the battery drainage due to alternator not working anymore...
I was ~1km from home @5:30ish. I just left the beer store in July and it was pretty to watch the dashboard in all the flashing lights. Not sure about the water pump. I was even able to drive it from the house to the mechanic.

I gave that car another 8 months and sold it to a scap yard for $400.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1170 posts
412 upvotes
Vancouver
Asker123 wrote: Well its not like under 10 for sure.. Indeed it comes with the tensioner assembly ( the pivot for the pulley) . It is not a super tough job but in order to get in there , I would need to remove power steering pump . Getting OEM parts in Winnipeg is getting expensive ( Dealers here charge approx. 1.5 times price of Toronto) . Same with Mechanics..
I am trying to judge if it can still give me few 10s of thousands of kms..
I hope these things dont fail like suddenly ....
Should have changed it when you had the belt off. Just grab the part from Rock auto, will be way cheaper even with shipping.

I assumed you changed the belt yourself? You just have to unbolt the power steering pump, don't have to undo any of the lines. Theres a couple of videos on YouTube that shows you step by step on what to do.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2477 posts
478 upvotes
someone16 wrote: Should have changed it when you had the belt off. Just grab the part from Rock auto, will be way cheaper even with shipping.

I assumed you changed the belt yourself? You just have to unbolt the power steering pump, don't have to undo any of the lines. Theres a couple of videos on YouTube that shows you step by step on what to do.
I would prefer OEM part for it. Rock Auto has alternative parts and reviews for Ac Delco etc not that good ( resulting misalignment etc) . I changed the belt myself and can remove it again thats not a big deal. Going to watch some videos too.. I guess I will keep watching the sound and if it does gets bad , will change it ..
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1170 posts
412 upvotes
Vancouver
Asker123 wrote: I would prefer OEM part for it. Rock Auto has alternative parts and reviews for Ac Delco etc not that good ( resulting misalignment etc) . I changed the belt myself and can remove it again thats not a big deal. Going to watch some videos too.. I guess I will keep watching the sound and if it does gets bad , will change it ..
Haven't really had a problem putting aftermarket brand on mine. But if it's just the pulley that makes noise and the tensioner itself is within spec, (Check the marks on the tensioner) you can just change the pulley itself, the part is like $10-20.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4573 upvotes
Alberta
vkizzle wrote: On my Hondas, I had the tensioner, along with the water pump and timing belt replaced.
x2. I did the same but also replaced the drive belt since it was already off.
Dec 25, 2006
564 posts
418 upvotes
Winnipeg
Pull it off and check into only buying a bearing for it. You'll need to have it off to check for a part number or get measurements from it. Lots of bearing supply houses in Winnipeg :)
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.