Automotive

Does Toyota basic warranty cover rim corrosion?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 11:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1911 posts
329 upvotes

Does Toyota basic warranty cover rim corrosion?

I cant find in the warranty info online about what is covered in regards to rims.

There starting to corrode/pit around the center cap and seems to be spreading. i know they look small but its happening on all 4 rims. i plan on keeping this for 10 years and dont want it to spread and look terrible when by that time warranty is long gone.

I have a dedicated set of steel rims and snow tires so they never seen salt or snow.

I took it in and the service advisor said wear and tear. I questioned his opinion as the car is only 2 yers old. he just brushed it off and moved along

Was gonna try a different toyoa dealership next time i go get it for the 6month service.

Thanks everyone.
Images
  • 48945880981_7f3e16f993_k.jpg
19 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 30, 2015
870 posts
824 upvotes
I think that’s the answer you are going to get everywhere. They wont do something about such minor thing.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4427 posts
2929 upvotes
Latitude57 wrote: I think that’s the answer you are going to get everywhere. They wont do something about such minor thing.
It is just some clear coat that is going to peel off. I doubt any dealer is going to do any thing for esthetics after 2 years.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
12923 posts
4531 upvotes
Ontario
How often do you wash your car? Do you hand wash it or take it to a car wash?

Because its so minor I dont think the dealer will do to much.
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: I cant find in the warranty info online about what is covered in regards to rims.

There starting to corrode/pit around the center cap and seems to be spreading. i know they look small but its happening on all 4 rims. i plan on keeping this for 10 years and dont want it to spread and look terrible when by that time warranty is long gone.

I have a dedicated set of steel rims and snow tires so they never seen salt or snow.

I took it in and the service advisor said wear and tear. I questioned his opinion as the car is only 2 yers old. he just brushed it off and moved along

Was gonna try a different toyoa dealership next time i go get it for the 6month service.

Thanks everyone.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6558 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
Removing the metal ring on the centre cap should stop the rust.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3002 upvotes
I used to have a 2005 Camry.

Later on, I got a set of 2008 Avalon limited rims (part OW69474) similar to what you posted, machined rims with grey accents and clearcoat on top.

The clearcoat was very high quality, but thinner around the edges, like around the centercap hole. I waxed it a couple of times to make them look newer longer. The wax may remove quite a bit of the crap you see around the centercap.

But it is a pain in the neck to wax your wheels. I honestly had better things to do.
______________________________
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4427 posts
2929 upvotes
motomondo wrote: I used to have a 2005 Camry.

Later on, I got a set of 2008 Avalon limited rims (part OW69474) similar to what you posted, machined rims with grey accents and clearcoat on top.

The clearcoat was very high quality, but thinner around the edges, like around the centercap hole. I waxed it a couple of times to make them look newer longer. The wax may remove quite a bit of the crap you see around the centercap.

But it is a pain in the neck to wax your wheels. I honestly had better things to do.
During covid times maybe the OP has all the time in the world to wax his wheels. Look he even noticed those pit marks.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
16505 posts
5015 upvotes
Toronto
This is wear and tear and you will find this on any car. You can just clean it up and put some clear nail polish on it. That should protect things from getting worse and not make it look very bad.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1911 posts
329 upvotes
Latitude57 wrote: I think that’s the answer you are going to get everywhere. They wont do something about such minor thing.
cristianosham wrote:
It is just some clear coat that is going to peel off. I doubt any dealer is going to do any thing for esthetics after 2 years.
sickcars wrote: How often do you wash your car? Do you hand wash it or take it to a car wash?

Because its so minor I dont think the dealer will do to much.
peteryorkuca wrote: Removing the metal ring on the centre cap should stop the rust.
motomondo wrote: I used to have a 2005 Camry.

Later on, I got a set of 2008 Avalon limited rims (part OW69474) similar to what you posted, machined rims with grey accents and clearcoat on top.

The clearcoat was very high quality, but thinner around the edges, like around the centercap hole. I waxed it a couple of times to make them look newer longer. The wax may remove quite a bit of the crap you see around the centercap.

But it is a pain in the neck to wax your wheels. I honestly had better things to do.
cristianosham wrote:
During covid times maybe the OP has all the time in the world to wax his wheels. Look he even noticed those pit marks.
hightech wrote: This is wear and tear and you will find this on any car. You can just clean it up and put some clear nail polish on it. That should protect things from getting worse and not make it look very bad.
thanks everyone. i use car wash soap and wash it every couple of weeks and give it a good wax once a month. manual wash then pressure washer.

the clear coat actually isnt peeling, hrd to tel in pic but its like corroding UNDERNEATH the clear coat cause u can still see and feel the clearcoat on it.

anyways i was a little bummed that a nice set of rims would start corrding so soon in ownership. im concerned maybe it will just keep growing overtime. same style of rims toyota uses for there lexus vehiciles - laquared alloy rims.

i appreciate everyones input.
Member
Mar 20, 2017
492 posts
1211 upvotes
That’s aluminum oxidation. As someone else said. It’s inevitable because you have a metal or steel cap and ring in the middle of an aluminum rim

Steel and aluminum are dissimilar metals.....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1911 posts
329 upvotes
E39M62 wrote: That’s aluminum oxidation. As someone else said. It’s inevitable because you have a metal or steel cap and ring in the middle of an aluminum rim

Steel and aluminum are dissimilar metals.....
hmmm that would make sense. the cap is made of plastic with a chrome coating ring. but the clips that hold the cap in place is made of metal. youd think toyota engineers would have caught such a possible outcome with different metals.
Sr. Member
Oct 4, 2010
815 posts
442 upvotes
Surrey
is this your first car? if you go around the parking lot, look at other people's rims i'm sure you 'll see the same thing.

try waxing your rims once in a while too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8861 posts
7897 upvotes
matrixfwd wrote: try waxing your rims once in a while too.
Or ceramic coating. Lasts longer than wax.

All cars wear down. You either throw more products at it to delay the inevitable or just live with it.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
12923 posts
4531 upvotes
Ontario
Ceramic coating is another option but most people dont want to spend the money on it.

OP: What type of wax are you using?
Xtrema wrote: Or ceramic coating. Lasts longer than wax.

All cars wear down. You either throw more products at it to delay the inevitable or just live with it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1911 posts
329 upvotes
E39M62 wrote: That’s aluminum oxidation. As someone else said. It’s inevitable because you have a metal or steel cap and ring in the middle of an aluminum rim

Steel and aluminum are dissimilar metals.....
matrixfwd wrote: is this your first car? if you go around the parking lot, look at other people's rims i'm sure you 'll see the same thing.

try waxing your rims once in a while too.
Xtrema wrote: Or ceramic coating. Lasts longer than wax.

All cars wear down. You either throw more products at it to delay the inevitable or just live with it.
sickcars wrote: Ceramic coating is another option but most people dont want to spend the money on it.

OP: What type of wax are you using?
HI Everyone,

Just an update, i got back from an oil change service. The guy looked at the rim and said Toyota wouldn't cover it. Says my fault as it looks like a tool was used that damaged it.

I told them i have poped the emblems out, but only by hand AFTER the wheels were removed from the car and popped off from the inside of the rim out as thats the easiest way.

Also explained i have a dedicated set of steel rim and snow wheels so the factory rims never saw a tire removal machine or salt/snow with receipts to prove i have them.

The factory tires are still the originals too.

Says if they send a warranty request to toyota they'll jsut say user fault, not there problem.

So I guess Im SOL ?

@sickcars, I use chemical guys butter wax. before that autoglyms carneuba wax. though i dont wax the rims as much as the car. i figured the rims would be alot "tougher" and hold up better since there part of the wheel vs the paint of the car.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
12923 posts
4531 upvotes
Ontario
I think you may be out of luck, does not hurt to try at the dealer however make sure you wash the car and wheels really well. If you go there with a dirty car they may think you dont take care of it, however if its nice and clean and shiny they may look at say well clearly this guy takes care of the car so it must be a factory defect and you may get lucky.

If you ever want to try some better quality wax that should last longer & give better shine since it has carnauba in it, try https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-c ... gance-12oz


thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: @sickcars, I use chemical guys butter wax. before that autoglyms carneuba wax. though i dont wax the rims as much as the car. i figured the rims would be alot "tougher" and hold up better since there part of the wheel vs the paint of the car.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5109 posts
3489 upvotes
Ontario
cristianosham wrote: It is just some clear coat that is going to peel off. I doubt any dealer is going to do any thing for esthetics after 2 years.
I had a few fine white lines appearing under the lacquer of the alloy rim radiating from the chrome hub in the centre of two of my Jeep rims. Biggest was around 15mm long. Car was coming to end of 3 year basic warranty so I asked at the dealership. Was pleasantly surprised when they got approval to fit two new 20 inch rims under warranty. I have been impressed with FCA service and products. I wish I could say the same for Toyota - have always had a fight on my hands with any issues with my Camry.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
7308 posts
3893 upvotes
Debtario
Yeah don't expect much from Toyota, they'll find a way to call anything wear and tear or not covered by warranty.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 11, 2004
10089 posts
964 upvotes
Toronto
Sol, use ceramic wrap used for food to cover the caps hhahha
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Jr. Member
Nov 15, 2011
119 posts
90 upvotes
SW Ontario
Not much help to you, but:

Wife's 2017 Mazda 3 Sport's alloy rims were bubbling. You had to look close to see the issue. I found problems on three of the rims. Took vehicle to Achilles just before warranty expiry, they photographed, then called us around 3 weeks later saying they will refinish all four rims under warranty.
Left the car with them for a couple days and rims are perfect now.

Try a different dealership.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)