Careers

Does US border still giving TN visa during border close?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2020 12:36 am
[OP]
Banned
May 8, 2020
45 posts
5 upvotes

Does US border still giving TN visa during border close?

Friends got US job offer, not sure if the border still open for processing TN visa.

Thanks
14 replies
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
544 upvotes
M1C
Kiraly wrote: TN Visas are applied for and processed at a U.S. consulate, not at the border. The ones in Canada all seem to say "Emergency appointments only".
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... rkers.html
Why are you spreading misinformation?

from https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-st ... fessionals

If you are a Canadian citizen, then you are not required to apply for a TN visa at a U.S. consulate.

You may establish eligibility for TN classification at the time you seek admission to the United States by presenting required documentation to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at certain CBP-designated U.S. ports of entry or at a designated pre-clearance/pre-flight inspection station.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
7720 posts
8439 upvotes
Vancouver
What misinformation? He asked where to get a TN Visa, and I gave him the correct information. You can’t get a TN Visa at the border. You can only get TN nonimmigrant status, which isn’t the same thing. Maybe that actually is what he wants, but it isn’t what he asked for.
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
544 upvotes
M1C
Kiraly wrote: What misinformation? He asked where to get a TN Visa, and I gave him the correct information. You can’t get a TN Visa at the border. You can only get TN nonimmigrant status, which isn’t the same thing. Maybe that actually is what he wants, but it isn’t what he asked for.
afaik, TN is the the short form for "nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional"

"The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the United States in prearranged business activities for U.S. or foreign employers."

from https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-st ... fessionals

If you are a Canadian citizen, then you are not required to apply for a TN visa at a U.S. consulate.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
7720 posts
8439 upvotes
Vancouver
Soichiro wrote: If you are a Canadian citizen, then you are not required to apply for a TN visa at a U.S. consulate.
Yes I know, but Canadians can still get the visa, and Canadians DO need one if: "When is a NAFTA Professional (TN) visa required for a Canadian citizen? A Canadian who resides in a third country with a non-Canadian spouse and/or child(ren), and who plans to enter the United States as a NAFTA professional with family member(s), will need a TN visa in order for the family member(s) to be eligible to apply for derivative TD nonimmigrant visa(s)."

The OP asked specifically about the visa and not simply about nonimmigrant TN status; maybe this is why. When someone asks about something specific, I tend to assume that that's what they actually mean, instead of assuming they probably mean something else.
Jr. Member
Jan 12, 2011
195 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: Yes I know, but Canadians can still get the visa, and Canadians DO need one if: "When is a NAFTA Professional (TN) visa required for a Canadian citizen? A Canadian who resides in a third country with a non-Canadian spouse and/or child(ren), and who plans to enter the United States as a NAFTA professional with family member(s), will need a TN visa in order for the family member(s) to be eligible to apply for derivative TD nonimmigrant visa(s)."

The OP asked specifically about the visa and not simply about nonimmigrant TN status; maybe this is why. When someone asks about something specific, I tend to assume that that's what they actually mean, instead of assuming they probably mean something else.
Of course it's perfectly reasonable to assume OP is asking about a visa that you have to obtain as a Canadian in a third country outside of the US and Canada because they need to bring in their spouse under TD. It's not at all reasonable to assume they were just talking about getting TN status at the border even when they specifically mentioned about getting it at the border.
Newbie
Mar 22, 2012
97 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Either your friend is lying or you are making this story up. No U.S. employers are going to hire foreigners over Americans during pandemic. U.S. is suspending people trying to immigrate into the country to live and work to protect American workers from foreign competition. The U.S. border with Canada is closed for non-essential travel until at least May 21.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1138 posts
441 upvotes
DT Calgary
I'm surprised they'd hire him. This dude must be the next big thing?
Jr. Member
Apr 25, 2019
164 posts
57 upvotes
googlemap wrote: Friends got US job offer, not sure if the border still open for processing TN visa.

Thanks
I know you wont get accurate answer here regarding these topics. Reddit and other forums are much better in such cases and only someone who has obtained will be able to answer, better to search https://forums.immigration.com/ which is more focused on TN/Visas.

Here someone answered on 2nd May 2020. Search for other threads also.
https://forums.immigration.com/threads/ ... id.342863/
Jr. Member
Oct 5, 2019
130 posts
122 upvotes
Things are rather fluid and can change but I got a TN status approved at the airport end of April. It’s no guarantees though since it depends on the specific officer and application. So at the time (now still as far as I know) even though officially TN applications were being proceeded, you can still get higher levels of scrutiny because of the current situation.
Member
Jun 27, 2007
219 posts
82 upvotes
California
My friend got approved for TN through mail USCIS application in early May. He also resides in the US and was switching jobs.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1138 posts
441 upvotes
DT Calgary
fr33style wrote: My friend got approved for TN through mail USCIS application in early May. He also resides in the US and was switching jobs.
Ya, but hes already there! Much easier.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5289 posts
1353 upvotes
Ottawa
I would call the US POE that you are planning on getting it at. Even with a valid TN, I do not believe you can cross at a land-border unless it's for essential-travel (please correct me if I'm wrong) but it's possible you could still get it at the airport (it might even be worth going in person to ask if you can't reach anyone on the phone).

As mentioned above, a mail-in application is very different than an original application.
Newbie
Jul 21, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote
Yes, they do. Someone got it at Pearson airport in 2 hours a couple of days ago.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)