• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 9:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4430 posts
2931 upvotes

Doesn't look legit by electrician

Maybe I am not aware of commercial electrical but this outlet addition perform by a licensed electrician isn't GFCI? Can I sue the electrician?
Images
  • 20200712_110334.jpg
46 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3476 posts
1659 upvotes
Mississauga
How do you know that ?
You do realize you can chain GFCI.. so maybe there is a gfci at another location in the circuit and this is tapped off that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4430 posts
2931 upvotes
TLSRULZ wrote: How do you know that ?
You do realize you can chain GFCI.. so maybe there is a gfci at another location in the circuit and this is tapped off that.
Most of the wires are exposed and just following that particular one. I see it go to the breaker box so there is no daisy chain.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3476 posts
1659 upvotes
Mississauga
cristianosham wrote: Most of the wires are exposed and just following that particular one. I see it go to the breaker box so there is no daisy chain.
And it's a regular breaker?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5760 posts
1334 upvotes
rural ontario
cristianosham wrote: I guess you didnt see my other thread.

aftermath-rental-property-2386272/
I doubt a real licensed electrician would do something to loose his license. So its probably within the letter of code.. but still an eyesore that should be ripped out and put inside walls... or offer a discount to your next renter to overlook it. PVC conduit would at least looked less half-assed.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3861 posts
3682 upvotes
Toronto
Lol at asking if you can sue.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5680 posts
3002 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
rilles wrote: I doubt a real licensed electrician would do something to loose his license. So its probably within the letter of code.. but still an eyesore that should be ripped out and put inside walls... or offer a discount to your next renter to overlook it. PVC conduit would at least looked less half-assed.
PVC conduit would still look half assed in that installation. It should have been EMT or rigid metal conduit.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1842 posts
1372 upvotes
Brampton
Well that looks like shite.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3861 posts
3682 upvotes
Toronto
cristianosham wrote: What's funny about suing?
For one you're not even sure anything here was done wrong, you say you followed the wiring but you still do not know. Secondly presumably you were on site why did you not bring up your concerns then? Even if you weren't you could have contacted the trades person to inquire or even gave them the ability to correct their 'mistake' instead your first reaction is to sue.

As for everyone saying its ugly, well it's a retrofit in a commercial building so not sure exactly what you want. The OP obviously did not pay for a cable run, one which might not even be possible with a concrete wall.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3300 upvotes
Out west
cristianosham wrote: What's funny about suing?
Its not funny, its f'ing sad. Because thats everyones go to instantly these days, sue. My feelings are hurt, Ill sue. Over anything, just to make a buck.

You want to sue, make it over something worth while, not over petty bullshit like this
Oct 25, 2014
165 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not sure if there is any special code for area behind a toilet... but I see outlet and armored wires like this in warehouse and industrial space all the times.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4430 posts
2931 upvotes
stanleyt wrote: Not sure if there is any special code for area behind a toilet... but I see outlet and armored wires like this in warehouse and industrial space all the times.
A gfci outlet for anywhere close to water. The toilet bowl is water or not?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4430 posts
2931 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: For one you're not even sure anything here was done wrong, you say you followed the wiring but you still do not know. Secondly presumably you were on site why did you not bring up your concerns then? Even if you weren't you could have contacted the trades person to inquire or even gave them the ability to correct their 'mistake' instead your first reaction is to sue.

As for everyone saying its ugly, well it's a retrofit in a commercial building so not sure exactly what you want. The OP obviously did not pay for a cable run, one which might not even be possible with a concrete wall.
I wasn't onsite and this is a commercial property that was rented to a massage business. They had an electrician come in to run the spaghetti wires. An electrician is not going to chisel out the wall to run the conductors inside the wall.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11745 posts
6929 upvotes
Paris
cristianosham wrote: I wasn't onsite and this is a commercial property that was rented to a massage business. They had an electrician come in to run the spaghetti wires. An electrician is not going to chisel out the wall to run the conductors inside the wall.
100% they should have. Ask to see the permit, Sue for damages if they didn’t get one.

Other commenters need to see OP’s other thread. Whoever ran those wires is an asshole.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7876 posts
8838 upvotes
Montréal
At least there is an outlet to plug in a bidet
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4430 posts
2931 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: At least there is an outlet to plug in a bidet
If the bidet splashed water up the outlet and you got electrocuted.