Dog attacked family member while she was just out for evening walk

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 11:33 am
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
598 posts
96 upvotes

Dog attacked family member while she was just out for evening walk

It came running out not on a leash and bit her while she was just walking on the sidewalk. Had to take her to the hospital for stitches. Made a post on a community app and it turns out this dog has a history.

Can we take legal action for pain/suffering? Can we have the dog put down ?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1050 posts
492 upvotes
How about getting the owner charged.
If it was on a leash, even with a history, it would not have been a threat.
THS wrote: It came running out not on a leash and bit her while she was just walking on the sidewalk. Had to take her to the hospital for stitches. Made a post on a community app and it turns out this dog has a history.

Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3665 posts
1411 upvotes
Subscribed.

I really want to know the rules and potential resources against the owner.

A dog that bites a person who is just walking must be put down.

Actually, any dog that bites any human must be put down.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1235 posts
931 upvotes
HAMILTON
It sure would help if posters supplied their province as rules are different in many places.

But yes, it should be reported to the police and the SPCA. A dog with a history can be ordered to be destroyed in many places. The owner may also face consequences .

If a person is in a public place and attacked by a dog, as long as you know who the owner is, you can sue for damages. Keep a record of any medical costs.. Failing all else, you may sue for damages.

Now for the anti dog facists, comments like " and dog that bites a human must be put down " are so ridiculous as to not even discussing.
Sep 5, 2004
290 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
THS wrote: It came running out not on a leash and bit her while she was just walking on the sidewalk. Had to take her to the hospital for stitches. Made a post on a community app and it turns out this dog has a history.

I believe if hospital was told it was dog bite, they should have notified Animal Control would issue 2 week quarantine notice, the dog owner would have to show proof of vaccinations, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1151 posts
1568 upvotes

Pony up your cash and consult a lawyer. Stitches, we all get them from time to time. I don't think your case is going to result in the kind of payday you're hoping for. I also think that causing a living being to be annihilated is going to help your "pain & suffering" either.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13380 posts
8348 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
We talking about a big dog or a small dog?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10841 posts
5909 upvotes
Markham
This post was a month ago and OP @THS has provided not returned.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1207 posts
1569 upvotes
West
^Lol sorry to bump the thread again... didn't see how long ago it was.

What a shame. The dog pays the ultimate price for a clearly crappy dog owner who either hasn't bothered to train the dog or just isn't responsible enough to care for an untrained dog.

Not to minimize the incident, but it's probably not worth your time to chase a "pain and suffering" lawsuit if it's just a few stitches... It would be a different story if there was some tangible loss involved (i.e. had to have surgery and off work for 6-8 weeks, had immense hospital bills to pay, etc.). Report it to the police and SPCA - they will put the dog down and slap the owner on the wrist for you.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
Dogs aren’t euthanized just for biting someone. Not sure where people got that idea. There’d have to be a long list of actions and attempted enforcement done prior to ordering that a family pet be euthanized.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2471 posts
2100 upvotes
GTA
amz155 wrote: Dogs aren’t euthanized just for biting someone. Not sure where people got that idea. There’d have to be a long list of actions and attempted enforcement done prior to ordering that a family pet be euthanized.
OP said the dog has a 'history'. The dog didn't just bite her it ran after her and bit her. To me it attacked her for no reason.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
tew wrote: OP said the dog has a 'history'. The dog didn't just bite her it ran after her and bit her. To me it attacked her for no reason.
And what’s the history? Was the dog owner ordered to muzzle their dog at all times? What were the steps taken previously?

I’ve investigated hundreds of dog bites, including dogs with ‘history’ and I can tell you that dogs just don’t get euthanized that easily.