• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2015 11:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12835 posts
1170 upvotes

Dog bites my elderly mother

What would you do if an unleashed dog goes on your property. Then corners your elderly mother by agressivley barking and then bites her under the knee leaving a 2 inch purple mark. Skin is pierced but no blood is drawn.

The owner dismissed it as just a nip and refused to talk and walked off as I recorded her. Other neighbor comes out and said the same dog bit his grandmother but kind of implied that it's normal since it's a shared alley way. She is one of my neighbors but I don't know where she lives.

It wasn't a big dog and it wasn't a severe bite but I have two young nephews, 2 and 6 and if you are going to let your dog run around unleashed, you need to be in control of it.

I called toronto public health and toronto animal services and filed a report. In order for Toronto animal services to do an investigation there needs to be a doctors report or a police report. My mother is going to see a doctor tomorrow morning but even with it, not knowing the actual owner makes it very difficult for the investigators and I think they will just ignore it.

What would you do? Should I also call the police non-emergency line to file a report? I've been nipped before and I don't consider that a nip especially with how agressive the dog was.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
44 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21999 posts
2611 upvotes
sh8t happens

does the owner and dog look dangerous?

If not, don't do it
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12835 posts
1170 upvotes
george__ wrote: sh8t happens

does the owner and dog look dangerous?

If not, don't do it
owner told me to go fuDGe myself when I told her to come here I need to talk you
----------------------
References:
Available upon request.
May 5, 2009
616 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
Report it and get someone after the idiot. This person ever heard of responsibility and liability? If this dog attacked my mom I would of stomped that dog dead, I would of kicked it half way to hell it if approached my children. Obvious this person is oblivious and something needs to be done.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4121 posts
924 upvotes
Sask.
That's awful - report it, for sure.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
Report it to animal services immediately.
Where do you live?
What province are you in?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12835 posts
1170 upvotes
MrsPotato wrote: Report it to animal services immediately.
Where do you live?
What province are you in?
I reported it to Toronto animal services and Toronto public health. Both are taking the situation very seriously but there is little they can do without the animal and the owner of the animal. I know it's one of my neighbors on my side of the street. I went for a couple of walks around the area and didn't see anything and I knocked on a couple of my neighbors and they weren't home or didn't answer.
----------------------
References:
Available upon request.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4467 posts
945 upvotes
Richmond Hill
1. Report the incident.
2. Find out where the dog lives.
3. Update incident report with newly obtained address.
4. Show recorded incident.
5. Unleashed dogs outside of an off-leash park is illegal.

Owner 100% responsible. Owners such as this give dogs and other owners a bad rep. I would like to see some sort of fine.

Keep monitoring your mother's injuries and don't hesitate to press for compensation.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7322 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
Keep an eye out, hopefully you can figure out where they live and get a photo of the dog walking unleashed.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8064 posts
704 upvotes
enwhyRFD wrote: 1. Report the incident.
2. Find out where the dog lives.
3. Update incident report with newly obtained address.
4. Show recorded incident.
5. Unleashed dogs outside of an off-leash park is illegal.

Owner 100% responsible. Owners such as this give dogs and other owners a bad rep. I would like to see some sort of fine.

Keep monitoring your mother's injuries and don't hesitate to press for compensation.
Yeah, do this asap.

This dog could kill a child one day and you'd be preventing it by getting the owner back on a leash.
hi!
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4507 posts
6886 upvotes
Ontario
OP, that dog was "at large" and that's against provincial and municipal laws. Some pet owners should never own a pet because knowing what the responsibilities of pet care involve escape some humans' attention spans.
http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.c ... 464#TOC_06
http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90d16#BK9

http://www1.toronto.ca/City%20Of%20Toro ... s_bite.pdf
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/1999/law0028.htm
[QUOTE]at large means being found on any other property than that of the owner
of the animal, and not under the control of the owner, except where the
owner of the property permits the animal to be on his or her property; [/QUOTE]
2020 quest to find Portuguese smoked paprika 💡
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15604 posts
2244 upvotes
If an animal attacked a member of my family, said animal would be eliminated.
Jul 7, 2005
571 posts
149 upvotes
Thank you for starting the fear mongering lol I will try and help it along...
This dog could potentially take out a series of infants and may be a church, take matters in your own hands and eliminate it!!!
I hope you don't live near a hospital or an old age home because this could definitely get ugly.
masterhapposai wrote: Yeah, do this asap.

This dog could kill a child one day and you'd be preventing it by getting the owner back on a leash.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8064 posts
704 upvotes
waitin4BOOST wrote: Thank you for starting the fear mongering lol I will try and help it along...
This dog could potentially take out a series of infants and may be a church, take matters in your own hands and eliminate it!!!
I hope you don't live near a hospital or an old age home because this could definitely get ugly.
I'm not so much worried about the dog, as I think the owner(human) should be chained to her house.

The dog would be better off without that owner.

But, it doesn't hurt to live near a graveyard, driving all the bodies around to a far distance is a hassle.
hi!
May 29, 2008
516 posts
286 upvotes
I hope you pursue this. A lot of dog owners take no responsibility. I literally saw a kid getting mauled and the owner told the parent "he just wants to play"