Tags:
[OP]
May 26, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga, ON

Dog breed suggestions?

Hello Guys,
I want to buy a dog - whats your breed suggestion for the first time owner?

(I like big dogs :/ )
31 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4621 posts
2009 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Word(s) of advice: Get a dog that suits your lifestyle.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Jul 16, 2019
466 posts
255 upvotes
EafF77933 wrote: Hello Guys,
I want to buy a dog - whats your breed suggestion for the first time owner?

(I like big dogs :/ )
Its impossible to suggest a breed without having more details. How many people in the family. Any young kids, Will someone be home most of the time with the dog ? Any allergies in the family ? How active do you want your lifestyle with the dog. Is it a family dog or a guard dog. How much training will you do ? Any other pets in the family? Do you live in a house on condo ? Any reputable breeder will ask all these questions and a lot more. I like big dogs is not enough info. There are also different sizes - big is obviously not small but a 'big' dog can describe anything from a lab to Bernese mountain dog.
[OP]
May 26, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga, ON
You guys are right, I complete forgot to mention my lifestyle
Thanks @vernonco

The dog will be alone for sometime ~5hrs day
No allergies
No kids
Im active but not a sportish (lets say 5/10)
Family of 2
Family dog for sure
I dont know anything about training but willing to give training of course
Live in a house
No other pets

Breeds I like in general are Labrador, bernesse, goldens, rottweilers a big no for: napolitans, masstif, Newfoundland etc
Jul 16, 2019
466 posts
255 upvotes
EafF77933 wrote: You guys are right, I complete forgot to mention my lifestyle
Thanks @vernonco

The dog will be alone for sometime ~5hrs day
No allergies
No kids
Im active but not a sportish (lets say 5/10)
Family of 2
Family dog for sure
I dont know anything about training but willing to give training of course
Live in a house
No other pets

Breeds I like in general are Labrador, bernesse, goldens, rottweilers a big no for: napolitans, masstif, Newfoundland etc
First step : Canadian Kennel Club https://www.ckc.ca/en/Choosing-a-Dog/Choosing-a-Breed
Read the temperament and activity level for breeds you are interested in.
Second step : talk to people who own the breed. You will get good positive feedback but ask the tougher questions. Grooming, health problems, etc.
Third step : visit at least two reputable breeders for the breeds you have narrowed down. Might have to wait till Covid issues ease up. Any good breeder will spend time explaining things to you and may even recommend another breed. They also have a multiple page checklist they will go thru with you to ensure the dog and you are a good fit.
Fourth Step : Purchase a dog. Or from a shelter. For first time owners, I recommend purchase as you are not experienced enough to deal with issues from a shelter dog.
Fifth step : Find a good vet in your community. Take the dog for check up and shots. Decide if you want to enroll in pet insurance. Pick a groomer.
Sixth step : very very important. Enroll in dog training so you and your dog learn together.

From your list, all good family dogs though the rotweiler might be a bit more iffy for a first timer. Labs and Golden retrievers will shed so if you are concerned about shedding, get a doodle mix like a labradoodle, golden doodle or Aussie doodle. Bernese doodle are also great. Between my family and friends we have a bunch of dogs - Portuguese water dogs, Bernese doodle, Labdoodle, etc.
Hope this helps. Enjoy the journey and you new family member. Lot of work and lot of fun.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2611 posts
917 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Adopt an older dog -- 9 times out of 10, they're so much easier to deal with. My neighbour just adopted a 10 year old ex-sled husky and it's the sweetest most docile dog ever. It's basically ran its entire life and just wants to chill and hangout now. Another colleague adopted a 7 year old mix with "behavioural issues" that she said she never even encountered. Perfect dog.

Having a puppy, you'll need constant care for the first 3 months (as in, never take your eyes off them unless they're in their crate). You'll also need to read a ton to ensure you know what you're doing.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2611 posts
917 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
vernonco wrote: Fourth Step : Purchase a dog. Or from a shelter. For first time owners, I recommend purchase as you are not experienced enough to deal with issues from a shelter dog.
Not all dogs in shelters are there for behavioural issues! You also don't increase the demand for breeders in the off-chance that it doesn't work out and the dog needs to returned to the shelter. People who buy from breeders need to commit to that dog for life in my mind. Adoptions can be more experimental or temporary if they have to be.
Jul 16, 2019
466 posts
255 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote: Not all dogs in shelters are there for behavioural issues! You also don't increase the demand for breeders in the off-chance that it doesn't work out and the dog needs to returned to the shelter. People who buy from breeders need to commit to that dog for life in my mind. Adoptions can be more experimental or temporary if they have to be.
I agree that not all of them are there for behavior issues. But since this is a first time dog owner I just thought to take out any uncertainty. OP does not have kids so maybe a rescue dog is fine. I did hear that a lot of shelters are out of dogs as people adopted during pandemic.
I also agree that people who buy from breeders need to commit. Which is why any good breeder is very stringent. I believe our breeder has had a max of 3 dogs back in 5 years. It is also part of breeder contracts that you sell/return the dog back to the breeder if circumstances change and they place the dog in a new home. Our breeder almost always has a wait list of 6-9 months.
This may be broad strokes but I suspect that most rescue dogs are there because people did not do due diligence and likely from puppy mills.
Nov 20, 2008
966 posts
304 upvotes
Always suggest a lab. I've had 2 now so I'm biased. But they are awesome family dogs.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
417 upvotes
Once you go golden you’ll never go back!
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
Given your criteria, a lab or a Golden Retriever seem like good options.

Check out Redemption Paws if you’re interested in going the rescue route. They have several younger dogs up for adoption that would be out of that chewing/peeing in the house puppy phase. They’re based in Toronto and their dogs are not held in shelters they’re fostered until they’re adopted.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3293 posts
591 upvotes
amz155 - first, how is your pup. I am not one of those who is afraid to ask since I know how horrible the whole process is.

Secondly, I looked at the Redemption Paws site and was interested that they require pet insurance. We had pet insurance and wouldn't be without it, although we would have been further ahead with our just passed dog if we had had a bank account but then hindsight is everything. We also bought all of his meds at our vet clinic. Both of which do not seem to be popular opinions on this particular forum.

We signed our pup up for Vet Insurance, later sold to Trupanion at 13 months and he was still billed at 13 months even though he was 16 plus years when he passed, but our premiums had increased from $32 to $140 per month, based on admin fees, number of dogs in the neighbourhood, where you live etc. So I could just imagine what a senior dog would cost per month! But they do not require a fenced back yard which is a good thing because our yard is not fully fenced and besides a hound can go under a fence and a Spitz can jump over a fence. Our dogs were always on a regular length leash with one of us attached.

Ideally, a person would adopt a dog who has been covered by Pet Insurance since a pup!

I did e-mail Redemption Paws to ask about pet insurance because basically I want to know. Vet references, you name it, are not a problem! But a senior dog would definitely be required based on our ages.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1410 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto
djdestroyer wrote: Adopt an older dog -- 9 times out of 10, they're so much easier to deal with. My neighbour just adopted a 10 year old ex-sled husky and it's the sweetest most docile dog ever. It's basically ran its entire life and just wants to chill and hangout now. Another colleague adopted a 7 year old mix with "behavioural issues" that she said she never even encountered. Perfect dog.

Having a puppy, you'll need constant care for the first 3 months (as in, never take your eyes off them unless they're in their crate). You'll also need to read a ton to ensure you know what you're doing.
I wouldn't get a really old dog as it's heartbreaking when they pass away.

I love French and English bulldogs but they are more costly to keep so not good if you don't have a large budget for your dog.

What size dog do you like? Friendliest big dogs include standard poodles and collies as well as the ones previously mentioned.
Nov 9, 2005
738 posts
182 upvotes
I got two bulldogs (english).

They were reallybaxtivr when younger, now not so much (1 and 4 years now).

Medical bills are high, we paid out $20,000.00 for our older one (cherry eye complications) even our dog insurance conpnany reduced our plan to only 50% coverage. They are total couch patatoes, and don't listen much but are teddy bears.

We had two labs before, great dogs but higher maintenance.

Research the health issues before buying the breed of your choice.
Last edited by Cybersid on Jul 10th, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.