Dog breed suggestions?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2020 11:44 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: amz155 - first, how is your pup. I am not one of those who is afraid to ask since I know how horrible the whole process is.

Secondly, I looked at the Redemption Paws site and was interested that they require pet insurance. We had pet insurance and wouldn't be without it, although we would have been further ahead with our just passed dog if we had had a bank account but then hindsight is everything. We also bought all of his meds at our vet clinic. Both of which do not seem to be popular opinions on this particular forum.

We signed our pup up for Vet Insurance, later sold to Trupanion at 13 months and he was still billed at 13 months even though he was 16 plus years when he passed, but our premiums had increased from $32 to $140 per month, based on admin fees, number of dogs in the neighbourhood, where you live etc. So I could just imagine what a senior dog would cost per month! But they do not require a fenced back yard which is a good thing because our yard is not fully fenced and besides a hound can go under a fence and a Spitz can jump over a fence. Our dogs were always on a regular length leash with one of us attached.

Ideally, a person would adopt a dog who has been covered by Pet Insurance since a pup!

I did e-mail Redemption Paws to ask about pet insurance because basically I want to know. Vet references, you name it, are not a problem! But a senior dog would definitely be required based on our ages.
Thanks for asking @Blanche123. We said goodbye on Saturday afternoon Crying Face I’m still quite upset about it so I don’t have the capacity to write much more about it now but might in the future. Even just these few sentences have my eyes welling up and my throat choked. We’re gutted.

With the insurance, I *think* that they require proof of insurance for one month; so for the first month you adopt. I’m not 100% sure about that though, so if you hear back, would love to hear what they say :)

Unfortunately, the state that they only reply to people who are found to be a suitable match for a dog. After submitting an application, I wrote to them to ask how we might know that we’ve not been chosen for their current adoptables and how we could express interest in new rescues. Still waiting to hear back.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3293 posts
591 upvotes
amz155 - I am very sorry about your pup. We are still very upset as well and I can well understand how you feel gutted.

I will definitely update you if I hear anything back from Redemption Paws. The thing is I am not certain if my e-mail even went. I used the Contact Us button and afterwards all was said and done they listed a contact e-mail. The e-mail doesn't show in my send but it often doesn't when I send an e-mail in such a manner.

I did not ask about adoption, but gave enough info that they would be crazy not to contact me. We will see what happens. All of my questions were legitimate - and I do have excellent vet references, household insurance, dogs have always on a 6 ft. leash, plus a ton of experience with dogs that are considered a challenge, despite the biggest weighing 25 lbs. (I manage to put this into the e-mail).

I did read what you had to have with you on dog pick-up day - and we would have all that was required. The Pet Insurance is a hard one because it can be read either way - either the 30 days free or ongoing. Although I do not know how the rescue would know if someone stopped the pet insurance after one month. I expect I know who they use and it wouldn't be my first choice. If the rescue has an arrangement with their preferred pet insurer that would be the only way I could think it would work and even then it would be difficult to administer once the pup had been adopted.

I would also have to meet the pup as pups choose me rather than me choose them. It doesn't help that they all love me. I can't foster because we would be "foster failures" as in keep the pup.

Again, I am so sorry for the loss of your pup. Just yesterday one of the people on the street asked why he hadn't seen my husband walking our dog. He figured that he just kept missing him or it was the heat. So he had to tell him that our pup had passed. He couldn't believe it because he looked like a puppy until the last 4 days. I am sure you will encounter the same. But the good news is that your pup had a good and long life with you so at least you can take solace from that. The bad news is they don't live just long enough to predecease us.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3293 posts
591 upvotes
amz155 - I heard back from Redemption Paws. The e-mail reads that as far as pet insurance goes, based on the specific dog's age and health, pet insurance can be negotiable for senior animals.

And, she mentioned that a fenced yard is not a requirement. 17 years ago, 3 rescues hung up on us (and on our vet who tried to intervene) because we did not have a fenced yard! Our neuro also got involved. We used to have hounds who had the dreaded back/neck disc issues - 2 different dogs and both had the surgeries. Enter the Spitz - one of the vets at our clinic had a mother who raised them.

I still wonder how pet insurance is enforced for younger dogs. Of course I did mention our ages and that we would be looking at adopting a senior pet. Of course there are a lot of things that we would need to consider - COVID-19 being one of them.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4633 posts
2013 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Just a word on labradors, golden retrievers and similar water sport dogs. They have an oily coat as it's needed for their occupation (retrieval of waterfowl) and you might find they may impart an odour - possibly permeating - on everything.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
Thanks again, @Blanche123 Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I think it’s awesome that you’d like to adopt a senior dog. I’d think that younger dogs are more in demand and senior dogs get skipped over more. I’d be interested in a senior dog too, if we hadn’t just gone through a loss. I feel like it would be too much to say goodbye to another older dog any time soon.

I like their perspective about not needing to have a fenced in yard. From what I understand, not having a fenced in yard isn’t seen as a disadvantage because they really want/prefer dog owners who will walk their dogs instead of only letting them out in the yard.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
IMO huskies and malamutes aren’t the best choice for a first time dog owner. Not that they’re bad dogs, just that they may be challenging for someone who has never owned a dog before.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3293 posts
591 upvotes
I agree with amz155 that huskies and malamutes are not the best choice for a first time dog owner. They are in fact challenging breeds that require dog parents who have experience with handling dogs with their temperaments. And please do not get the "dog of the moment".
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1524 posts
3949 upvotes
Go to Petfinder and search for a dog in your area from a rescue. You can meet the dog you're interested in and some of them will let you take it in for a trial visit to your home first. I don't think shelters will let you do that though.
Dec 31, 2016
50 posts
10 upvotes
Adopt don’t shop!

Adopting a dog in need helps reduce the demand for puppy breeders and puppy mills (notorious for animal cruelty and not caring about anything other than profits).

Many adoption agencies do a wonderful job of matching your currently living situation to a dog that will complement your lifestyle. Can’t say the same if you buy a dog.

There are so many dogs out there that need homes and they are often the sweetest and most gentle creatures you will ever come across. DM if you want some additional info on adopting! I am happy to share my experience.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24962 posts
4202 upvotes
amz155 wrote: IMO huskies and malamutes aren’t the best choice for a first time dog owner. Not that they’re bad dogs, just that they may be challenging for someone who has never owned a dog before.
Agreed. I had 2 huskies as a first time dog owner. It was very difficult. They are extremely challenging dogs and they don't respond well to training. Letting them off leash is usually impossible. They tend to have a very high prey drive so having them around other animals, even other dogs, can be difficult. They shed like crazy.

Lab/retriever is often the best choice for a new dog owner that wants a big dog, as long as you don't mind vacuuming up dog hair on a regular basis. If you don't want the dog hair, look into a golden doodle or something along those lines