Pets

Dog CBD oil company recommendation for Ontario?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2021 11:16 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5751 posts
4092 upvotes

Dog CBD oil company recommendation for Ontario?

Hello all!

I’m curious if there are any Ontario dog owners on here with dogs that get anxious on car rides and when you leave for work?

I’ve been meaning to try a CBD oil, I just don’t know what reputable and affordable company to go with in Ontario.

I’ve asked my Vet a few times about it and they honestly don’t know much or care about CBD 🤦‍♂️

I also wouldn’t know what to give my girl for amount, would there be some kind of guideline anywhere I can follow?

And of course, here is some dog tax :)

14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3818 posts
934 upvotes
Toronto
Sejad - An Ontario vet cannot prescribe CBD. Read the OVMA (the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association) report on the prescribing by Ontario vets of CBD oil. Vets are different with their responses, but the bottom line is that in Ontario vets cannot prescribe the product at the present time. Perhaps ask your vet for a different med to calm your pet down for car rides.

Do not administer CBD oil intended for humans to animals.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5751 posts
4092 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: Sejad - An Ontario vet cannot prescribe CBD. Read the OVMA (the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association) report on the prescribing by Ontario vets of CBD oil. Vets are different with their responses, but the bottom line is that in Ontario vets cannot prescribe the product at the present time. Perhaps ask your vet for a different med to calm your pet down for car rides.

Do not administer CBD oil intended for humans to animals.
Yeah, I would never give her anything meant for human consumption. I was referring to dog specific CBD companies.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3818 posts
934 upvotes
Toronto
Sejad wrote: Yeah, I would never give her anything meant for human consumption. I was referring to dog specific CBD companies.
I know! But Vets in Ontario cannot prescribe CBD oil for pets at the current time. Maybe in the future, but not now. There are other options available - I don't know if you have tried them - but best to ask your vet.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5751 posts
4092 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: I know! But Vets in Ontario cannot prescribe CBD oil for pets at the current time. Maybe in the future, but not now. There are other options available - I don't know if you have tried them - but best to ask your vet.
I didn’t know they can’t prescribe CBD, weird.

To be honest, I don’t like pushing pills on myself or my best friend. I hate drugs and having to consume them as is for us lol. If it was drugs to stop seizures or something very medically serious, I would understand.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2363 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto
@Sejad Usual dose of CBD for dogs can vary a lot according to reference used, eg. 0.25 mg (regular dose) to 0,7 mg (high dose) per pound per dose , and repeated twice daily. You don't need a special CBD for dogs. Buy 1g = 1000mg pure crystalline CBD powder which is 100 percent CBD and no THC. You can dissolve that in 33 mL olive oil to make about 30mg per mL. 1 drop is roughly 0.05 mL so if your dog weighs 50 pounds then it would need 12.5 mg = 8 drops twice daily to start. You can gradually increase dose if needed for severe pain for a 50 pound dog to 35 mg = 23 drops or 1.2mL twice daily.

eg. source of CBD BuyMellow
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5751 posts
4092 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote: @Sejad Usual dose of CBD for dogs can vary a lot according to reference used, eg. 0.25 mg (regular dose) to 0,7 mg (high dose) per pound per dose , and repeated twice daily. You don't need a special CBD for dogs. Buy 1g = 1000mg pure crystalline CBD powder which is 100 percent CBD and no THC. You can dissolve that in 33 mL olive oil to make about 30mg per mL. 1 drop is roughly 0.05 mL so if your dog weighs 50 pounds then it would need 12.5 mg = 8 drops twice daily to start. You can gradually increase dose if needed for severe pain for a 50 pound dog to 35 mg = 23 drops or 1.2mL twice daily.

eg. source of CBD BuyMellow
Thanks for the amazing tip kind stranger!

I went to their website and read this part "Just remember, CBD is fat soluble, so it works best when it can mingle with other fats."

My girl has a condition called "corneal lipid dystrophy". Basically, I have to have her on a low fat diet as her eyes developed this whitish halo in her eye due to a hereditary condition (picture below for reference).

That all being said, are all CBD drops usually a mix of oils/fats of some sort?

Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2363 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto
Sejad wrote: Thanks for the amazing tip kind stranger!

I went to their website and read this part "Just remember, CBD is fat soluble, so it works best when it can mingle with other fats."

My girl has a condition called "corneal lipid dystrophy". Basically, I have to have her on a low fat diet as her eyes developed this whitish halo in her eye due to a hereditary condition (picture below for reference).

That all being said, are all CBD drops usually a mix of oils/fats of some sort?

Yes, they're all dissolved in oil, usually a MCT (medium chain triglyceride) oil, which you can buy to dilute the CBD powder if you prefer , or just use olive oil. Olive oil has a stronger flavour so some dogs may not like it. MCT oil has no taste.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7944 posts
1707 upvotes
Toronto
Been using CBD oil for my dog to help him relax. Bought it directly from OCS.ca.
Just make sure you research the type (i.e. via Youtube & google search) to make sure its suitable for your dog.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2363 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto
trixR4kids wrote: Been using CBD oil for my dog to help him relax. Bought it directly from OCS.ca.
Just make sure you research the type (i.e. via Youtube & google search) to make sure its suitable for your dog.
Can you link to what you bought? I looked and everything I saw there had some THC
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7944 posts
1707 upvotes
Toronto
Bull Dog wrote: Can you link to what you bought? I looked and everything I saw there had some THC
I've started off low for my dog, currently using this: https://ocs.ca/products/pure-sun-cbd-oil-1-10
It is dependent on your dog's weight. My dog is about 33lbs, and I give him 8-9mg of cbd. Aim for ones that contain little to none THC. He actually enjoys the flavor a lot and all I do is coat some treats with it. It seems to calm him down a bit.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2363 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto
trixR4kids wrote: I've started off low for my dog, currently using this: https://ocs.ca/products/pure-sun-cbd-oil-1-10
It is dependent on your dog's weight. My dog is about 33lbs, and I give him 8-9mg of cbd. Aim for ones that contain little to none THC. He actually enjoys the flavor a lot and all I do is coat some treats with it. It seems to calm him down a bit.
Looks like good product, but only has 300 mg in the whole bottle for 17.00. I only paid about 18.00 for 1000 mg powder from Buymellow, and was easy to scoop the powder into a dropper bottle and add some olive oil. I have 30 pound dog with cancer, so I need about 20 mg per dose for my dog, so 300 mg wouldnt last long for my dog.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2363 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto
trixR4kids wrote: I've started off low for my dog, currently using this: https://ocs.ca/products/pure-sun-cbd-oil-1-10
I ended up cutting CBD dose down to 11mg per dose ( my dog is same weight as yours ) since my dog got really loose stools on the higher dose.
Nov 15, 2009
284 posts
630 upvotes
B.C.
I personally use buymellow.com for my dog. Has a great selection for not just pets - I use full spectrum myself.

If you want to save 25% use code CBDHYPE

Enjoy
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5751 posts
4092 upvotes
voucher21 wrote: I personally use buymellow.com for my dog. Has a great selection for not just pets - I use full spectrum myself.

If you want to save 25% use code CBDHYPE

Enjoy
Hey!

Thanks for this coupon code. Can you point me in the right direction what CBD with no THC you give your dog? Also, you use it? Does it help with back pain at all for CBD for people?