Home & Garden

Dog destroyed emerald cedars

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2019 2:45 pm
May 14, 2019
2 posts

Dog destroyed emerald cedars

My awesome dog has peed on the bottom of the 10 emerald cedars I planted a year and a half ago. I should have known better and put up fencing but...too late now. I am wondering if I have to replace them completely or if I add some soil and block off the area, could I plant some other smaller trees or hedges in front of the dead part of the cedars to cover it up? The trees seem to be fine otherwise (mind you, I know nothing about plants/gardening), just a few inches at the bottom is burned off.
Images
  • 2019-05-11 17.07.29.jpg
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1298 posts
1771 upvotes
Toronto
Your emerald cedars are fine, just give it time to recover. Lots of watering helps..
May 14, 2019
2 posts
Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned though, I am hoping to put my home up for sale so would like to make them look more pleasant. If I add soil and plant a few things around them, or dig around the roots, will this do any damage to the already planted cedars?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
I would just put a nice layer of mulch along the base of them, and leave it at that. Leave a space around the trunks. They look very healthy otherwise. Don't add soil above the existing level that the cedars are growing at, as that will kill them.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1632 posts
955 upvotes
TORONTO
Another thing you can do is add large rocks to the base for your dog to pee on.
I have some cedars bordering my neighbours front yard and mine. The grass is mad luscious right at the base of the one by the sidewalk. Fortunately my neighbour had some extra flagstone and placed it there for other dogs to pee on. We both have dogs. And my cedar tree does well without dogs peeing on the leaves/branches on the lower half of it.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
2004 posts
1181 upvotes
London
I’d do as the OttawaGardener says plus cut off the thin dead branches at the bottom. It will look more like it is supposed to be that way instead of dead, almost like you pruned it on purpose to make them look more like trees than bushes. Good luck on selling your home.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
Not sure I see where/how your dog "destroyed" your cedars - they look fine.
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
763 upvotes
Ontario
Could also buy some annuals to plop in front of them. Something that gets some height to it. Perennials would work too but you're selling so whatever is cheapest/easiest.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)