• Sep 9th, 2020 8:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1505 posts
1163 upvotes

Dog Food - Kibble suggestion

We are getting a Lab pup in 4 weeks.

They are feeding Purina Puppy Chow at the breeders, but I am thinking of getting a higher quality food.

We are tossing around the idea of feeding raw

But also kibble as well to aid in food rewards for training (may also stick to kibble for feedings)

I’d prefer a high quality food that not loaded with byproducts, fillers, and a bunch of grains.

Leerburg website has some food suggestions, but all of them are available in Canada.

What’s a good suggested food?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
1637 posts
2931 upvotes
Toronto
My dog likes Castor & Pollux and if you go with their high-end line, Ingredients are pretty nice. I think it's one of the best that you can find from PetSmart.. And yeah, Purina Puppy Chow is bad..
[FS] SportChek GC at 87%
I love great flight deals
Nov 25, 2018
92 posts
23 upvotes
We now use acana, heard some horrible story about blue buffalo. Just ordered 50lbs of dog food from pet first (B.C.) my dog loves the sample they sent to us
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6371 posts
1203 upvotes
I’ve got my dogs on Wellness. Currently switching over from CORE (grain free) to a variety containing grain.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1193 posts
277 upvotes
Don’t assume that expensive, grain-free food is better for your dog. My rescue—lab, shepherd, terrier, etc—often had diarrhea so I rotated through the high end brands. The diarrhea stopped when she went on Petsmart Only Natural house brand, and her coat improved. Go suits her too, and now she eats Acana Classic Red. She prefers some grains, and these brands are way cheaper.
Dec 22, 2018
40 posts
14 upvotes
I have 2 giant breed dogs and while I would love to feed raw, it's just too expensive. It also can be trickier to deal with when traveling and can be a nightmare if you have kids and you have to be very clean with dishes etc. Some vets also don't support raw diets but if it's the route you want go go, find a supportive vet. That being said, if I could afford it,- i would in a heartbeat.

We fed acana when they were puppies and moved to Orijen after about a year. The Canadian made Orijen is very highly rated. My dogs have beautiful coats and skin with it. Always go by the ingredients. We also give raw bones etc for treats, just be sure to monitor any bone treats.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1596 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
Easto wrote: We are getting a Lab pup in 4 weeks.

They are feeding Purina Puppy Chow at the breeders, but I am thinking of getting a higher quality food.

We are tossing around the idea of feeding raw

But also kibble as well to aid in food rewards for training (may also stick to kibble for feedings)

I’d prefer a high quality food that not loaded with byproducts, fillers, and a bunch of grains.

Leerburg website has some food suggestions, but all of them are available in Canada.

What’s a good suggested food?
Check out dehydrated food. It provides some of the benefits of a raw diet without the mess and inconvenience. I feed my dog CaniSource.

Note: there's been a lot of recent debate regarding "grain free" food and whether or not it may actually be harmful for dogs. Jury is still out on that but just be mindful that grain is not necessarily a bad thing.
Oct 7, 2007
293 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver
Open Farm for ethically sourced and humanely raised pet food. They're based in Toronto. They have a puppy pack you can order through their website! My friend's dog goes nuts for their stews!

Edit: They have grain-free and grain friendly options if you care about that stuff.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1404 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto
ilikebigmuttsandicannotlie wrote: I have 2 giant breed dogs and while I would love to feed raw, it's just too expensive. It also can be trickier to deal with when traveling and can be a nightmare if you have kids and you have to be very clean with dishes etc. Some vets also don't support raw diets but if it's the route you want go go, find a supportive vet. That being said, if I could afford it,- i would in a heartbeat.

We fed acana when they were puppies and moved to Orijen after about a year. The Canadian made Orijen is very highly rated. My dogs have beautiful coats and skin with it. Always go by the ingredients. We also give raw bones etc for treats, just be sure to monitor any bone treats.
If you live in Calgary/Edmonton area, raw dog food is only 2.00 per pound
Doggy Moggy

Toronto area it's about 4.00 a pound from BigCountryRaw or Back2Raw delivered to your home.
Mar 6, 2010
9 posts
13 upvotes
The Purina Pro Plan kibble lines (Focus, Savor, and Bright Mind) are good value for money if you are looking for something that won’t break the bank but is still good. I was looking to switch from Canidae due to some issues I was seeing (the farm dog with the cast iron stomach was throwing up most days and the sheltie just plain wouldn’t eat it anymore). Several breeders who show in various disciplines recommended it so I tried it.

The farm dog (border collie/yellow lab) is on Bright Mind as he’s 7 - he lost weight (a good thing as he was carrying a few extra pounds) and has been more active. His coat is better and no more throwing up. He occasionally gets some of the Savor as a treat.

The sheltie gets to rotate between Focus (Sensitive Skin and Stomach) and Savor as she’s a picky eater and won’t eat the same food day after day. Plus I’m a big believer in mixing it up with feeding - never have an issue switching feed that way where if you always feed the same, you have to do the whole gradual changeover thing every time. She’s doing less itching and head shaking and is more likely to clean up her food.

Overall, I’m quite pleased with the switch to Pro Plan. Either Origen or Acana was just a little more than I really had the budget for and the dogs are doing very well.
Jan 14, 2010
648 posts
186 upvotes
Central Ontario
+1 for ProPlan. Ours was fed that as a puppy before adoption, and we just continued on lazily. 10 years later excellent health/weight.