• Apr 14th, 2019 11:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2156 posts
216 upvotes

Dog Spay Vet Recommendations

Hi,

My puppy Maple is near 7 months old and starting to look for a place to get her spayed. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am near the Keele/401 area but don't mind driving a bit based on good experience. I did a quick google search and am considering this place here in Richmond Hill which they quoted me $260+hst for the spay and only extra cost on top of this would be a $16-20 cone.

http://www.weldrickanimalhospital.com/s ... l-toronto/

The reviews so seem ok except for the odd one which was pretty detailed in their horrible experience there. So before I book an appointment and leave a non-refundable deposit I would like to hear back from you guys to see if you have a better recommendations first hand.

Thanks in advance
10 replies
Feb 20, 2012
71 posts
20 upvotes
I went here to get my dogs dental stuff done and it was the price that attracted me - my dog was given to me in such a rough state like she had just woken up and the anesthesia definitely hadn’t fully worn off ( like literally woken up 20 min previous to my arrival )- I personally wont be returning there ever . I’ve had great experiences with the humane society and the prices there are great. The wait list can sometimes be long though
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2156 posts
216 upvotes
monetlovettdarby wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 4:50 am
I went here to get my dogs dental stuff done and it was the price that attracted me - my dog was given to me in such a rough state like she had just woken up and the anesthesia definitely hadn’t fully worn off ( like literally woken up 20 min previous to my arrival )- I personally wont be returning there ever . I’ve had great experiences with the humane society and the prices there are great. The wait list can sometimes be long though
Thanks for your feedback and sorry to hear about your bad experience. I reached out to this place yesterday Humberwood Animal Hospital (www.spayneutertoronto.com) and got quoted $295 +tax which included the pre-op exam, surgery and anesthetic, one antibiotic injection, one 24h pain injection and take-home pain medication. They also can supply the e-collar cone for $15. Going to read up some reviews on them as well but if anyone has first hand experience good or bad I would love to hear about it.
Aug 1, 2006
290 posts
113 upvotes
mwong168 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 10:08 am
Thanks for your feedback and sorry to hear about your bad experience. I reached out to this place yesterday Humberwood Animal Hospital (www.spayneutertoronto.com) and got quoted $295 +tax which included the pre-op exam, surgery and anesthetic, one antibiotic injection, one 24h pain injection and take-home pain medication. They also can supply the e-collar cone for $15. Going to read up some reviews on them as well but if anyone has first hand experience good or bad I would love to hear about it.
I had my French Bulldog spayed there in 2016 and they did a great job. My dog hated the e-collar cone and knocked it off. Luckily she's a bulldog so didn't seem to know she could lick down there after, so I didn't have to use it. You might want to get a soft e-collar for your dog if your dog is more flexible :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2156 posts
216 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 9:30 pm
I had my French Bulldog spayed there in 2016 and they did a great job. My dog hated the e-collar cone and knocked it off. Luckily she's a bulldog so didn't seem to know she could lick down there after, so I didn't have to use it. You might want to get a soft e-collar for your dog if your dog is more flexible :)
Thanks for your feedback Bull Dog. I am waiting to hear back from this place in Richmond Hill which I heard lots of positive feedback from on their facebook page. Some people from out of town like Collingwood are coming in to this place too.

https://www.lesliestreetanimalhospital.com
Aug 1, 2006
290 posts
113 upvotes
mwong168 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 1:52 pm
Thanks for your feedback Bull Dog. I am waiting to hear back from this place in Richmond Hill which I heard lots of positive feedback from on their facebook page. Some people from out of town like Collingwood are coming in to this place too.

https://www.lesliestreetanimalhospital.com
Prices look good at that site ! Plus it got 4.4 in Google reviews vs 4.2 for weldrick animal hospital in Google reviews. Only strange thing I saw is that they quote price of a 1 yr rabies vaccine shot, which is strange, because it's much better for your dog to get the 3 yr rabies shot every 3 yr. Supposedly it's the same vaccine.

Cheapest would be to go to SPCA at Stouffville or Barrie Locations I couldn't go since my dog was older plus a bulldog.

2019 Fees for Ontario SPCA Spay Neuter Services: (effective Jan. 2nd, 2019): Neutering at SPCA Prices
Jan 31, 2008
522 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
Bull Dog wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 2:08 pm
Prices look good at that site ! Plus it got 4.4 in Google reviews vs 4.2 for weldrick animal hospital in Google reviews. Only strange thing I saw is that they quote price of a 1 yr rabies vaccine shot, which is strange, because it's much better for your dog to get the 3 yr rabies shot every 3 yr. Supposedly it's the same vaccine.

Cheapest would be to go to SPCA at Stouffville or Barrie Locations I couldn't go since my dog was older plus a bulldog.

2019 Fees for Ontario SPCA Spay Neuter Services: (effective Jan. 2nd, 2019): Neutering at SPCA Prices
The OSPCA is great, prices are great and so are the staff. The big issue is the waitlist. They are so backed up, it can take anywhere from 6-8 months. (for puppies).
Aug 1, 2006
290 posts
113 upvotes
lilpoorpk wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 10:20 am
The OSPCA is great, prices are great and so are the staff. The big issue is the waitlist. They are so backed up, it can take anywhere from 6-8 months. (for puppies).
I'd recommend waiting till 1 yr of age to avoid different kinds of cancer and hip dysplasia.
Jan 31, 2008
522 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
Bull Dog wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 5:55 pm
I'd recommend waiting till 1 yr of age to avoid different kinds of cancer and hip dysplasia.
Yeah. It really depends on the breed. On larger dogs. Wait till they are at least a year. Smaller dogs can be sooner. Anyways if you are to sign up with OSPCA, make sure to remember the waitlist is long and plan ahead and apply early.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2968 posts
446 upvotes
Personally, I would go to the vet that my dog regularly visits. But that is just me. He knows them, likes them and I feel very confident with their care.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2156 posts
216 upvotes
So we had our puppy Maple spayed last Friday at the Leslie Street Animal Hospital. Everything went well and Dr. Alex was great at answering all my questions and concerns regarding the procedure. He also offered an additional 10% discount on his $299 spay which included all IV fluids. pain meds and cone. I brought Maple in the day before to do the optional $70 pre-op blood work. I asked Dr. Alex if it was necessary and he recommended it because the spay is a bit more invasive compared to a neuter as he will be cutting into the abdomen. He also extended the discount on this too which was nice of him. So Maple has been doing great since we brought her home and doesn't appear to be on much pain or discomfort. She is more annoyed at the cone than anything :)

IMG_20190412_172759.jpg
IMG_20190413_134058.jpg

So if anyone is looking to spay or neuter their dog or cat I would recommend Dr. Alex at the Leslie Street Animal Hospital.