• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 4:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 22, 2019
288 posts
71 upvotes

Dogs eat fish?

A friend left his gold retriever at my home for a few days, and he ate all my salmon fish heads, bones and skeleton remains.

When I was young, I was told that cat eats fish and dog eats meat. Do I encounter an exceptional dog or my knowledge base needs to be updated?
13 replies
Nov 6, 2014
569 posts
865 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Dogs don't discriminate. They'll eat anything, shoes, cell phones, chip munks and no doubt fish. I have two dogs. One is extremely curious and would eat anything. (chases anything that moves). The other is lazy, not as curious and can't be bothered unless you bring her food.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19709 posts
4923 upvotes
Off the 404
They love poop and puke too, so salmon isn't too surprising
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6250 posts
1144 upvotes
Cats don't only eat fish and dogs don't only eat 'meat'. Time to update your knowledge base! ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3232 posts
554 upvotes
There are many dog foods that are fish based. Personally, I would be more concerned about hard bones.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2068 posts
738 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote: Cats don't only eat fish and dogs don't only eat 'meat'. Time to update your knowledge base! ;)
lol.. I thought the same thing because of what I saw in cartoons when I was a kid. I thought it was true... until today.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Jul 31, 2017
618 posts
247 upvotes
My dog's high quality food has fish in it. There are other foods that are fish based.

And since dog's literally eat shit I cannot fathom how you could be surprised at him eating fish.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9910 posts
653 upvotes
Come on OP.

Of course they eat fish. Face With Tears Of Joy

They actually love all those things you mentioned.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3938 posts
1689 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
ilovetoyota wrote: A friend left his gold retriever at my home for a few days, and he ate all my salmon fish heads, bones and skeleton remains.

When I was young, I was told that cat eats fish and dog eats meat. Do I encounter an exceptional dog or my knowledge base needs to be updated?
I used to think the same but all I thought I knew about cats, I learnt from the cartoons. Turns out eating raw fish is not good for cats as there are a lot of proteins in raw fish that they cannot use (fish needs to be cooked) and it is not part of their natural diet.

coriolis wrote: They love poop and puke too, so salmon isn't too surprising
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote: And since dog's literally eat shit I cannot fathom how you could be surprised at him eating fish.
Looked after some dogs (and a cat) a few years ago. The dogs would go after the cat's litter as soon as they had a chance. Seems cat shit is not the worst for dogs as cats don't digest their food that well and there's a lot of undigested protein leftover if the cat is fed good, high protein food.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
May 22, 2019
288 posts
71 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote: Come on OP.

Of course they eat fish. Face With Tears Of Joy

They actually love all those things you mentioned.
Then how then people usually disinfect dogs? They may pass disease to humans.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3938 posts
1689 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
ilovetoyota wrote: Then how then people usually disinfect dogs? They may pass disease to humans.
You don't and they do. Said trick to get back at someone letting their dog poop on your lawn is to cover the dog poop in PB. Dog will eat its own poop with the PB and lick its owner's face.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1023 posts
521 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I always give my dog salmon . Fish bone is soft, so it should be good.. if it was something like chicken then I'd be worried about any punctures in the intestine.