Dogs found rabbit nest - need advice

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 7:45 am
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
748 posts
185 upvotes

Dogs found rabbit nest - need advice

So this morning I heard some crying coming from the backyard. My dogs found a rabbits nest and found 5 babies. They did not harm them, but dug up the grass exposing the nest - I managed to put the grass back and put a laundrey basket on top (cut a huge hole so mom can get in).

We are the only house with a fence (new build and I put a temp fence up so the dogs can roam freely). Really didnt expect this.

Seems like the mom thought it would be a fantastic idea to lay the babies in the middle of the lawn, the bulldogs are very curious and I have been keeping them away. The nest appeared overnight..

Anyone go through the same situation?
Images
  • 20200712_130056.jpg
Last edited by Cybersid on Jul 13th, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2641 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
Cybersid wrote: So this morning I heard some crying coming from the backyard. My dogs found a rabbits nest and found 5 babies. They did not harm them, but dug up the grass exposing the nest - I managed to put the graas back and put a laundrey basket on top (cut a huge hole so mom can get in).

We are the only house with a fence (new build and I put a temp fence up so the dogs can roam freely). Really didnt expect this.

Seems like the mom thought it would be a fantastic idea to lay the babies in the middle of the lawn, the bulldogs are very curious and I have been keeping them away. The nest appeared overnight..

As humans take away the natural green space, any grass area would be suitable. They will usually be gone within 3-4 weeks. Rabbits grow quick. Keep the basket there. That helps
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4465 posts
944 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Fences will not keep small wildlife out. What you're doing now with the basket will be good enough to keep the dogs away.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1500 posts
1092 upvotes
Toronto
I had about 5 dead rabbit babies with heads cut off in my garden 2 yr ago. I think it was probably a cat that did it, but maybe raccoon ?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1335 posts
606 upvotes
Ontario
Lucky they only started to dig it up, our neighbors dog ate few of the rabbits that made a nest in their yard, ugh (I didn't know dogs did that till then!) :/
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13756 posts
3726 upvotes
Montréal
Kind dogs, must be taught well by their owner. Good job, OP.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Mar 6, 2010
437 posts
151 upvotes
Brampton
Cybersid wrote: So this morning I heard some crying coming from the backyard. My dogs found a rabbits nest and found 5 babies. They did not harm them, but dug up the grass exposing the nest - I managed to put the grass back and put a laundrey basket on top (cut a huge hole so mom can get in).

I have had rabbit babies in the backyard. They grow fast. Just need foliage for shelter from predators.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3826 upvotes
You might regret this. Rabbits are a real pest once in numbers. They will eat everything if you have any kind of flowers or growing vegetables. They were such a nuisance until luckily 2 years ago rabbit hemorrhagic disease hit and I've barely seen any since then. My plants and veggies also can grow properly.

But good luck to you
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
748 posts
185 upvotes
Thanks everyone, we will be putting up a deck next year - the grass is already ruined because the builder screwed up + dog urine burnt it.

Baby rabbits are doing well - I lift the basket daily and check if they are still breathing (the grass patch moves up and down).

The area is totally new and seems like their original habitat has been destroyed - we have tonnes of wildlife from coyotes+foxes+skunks+deer (Milton Ontario near RattleSnake Point)