• Jul 15th, 2020 10:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11429 posts
1424 upvotes
GVR

Doh! New place has induction cooktop

Just moved into a new place (rental) and only this morning realized it has an induction cooktop - all my current frypans don't work with it.

I really liked my 2piece Henckels Marquina set, but it seems only the Marquina Plus works with induction. Should I be on the lookout for that - are there other alternatives or things I should look for when getting compatible cookware?
11 replies
Oct 29, 2007
182 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
I have no experience with these but there are "Induction Cooktop Converter Discs" available you could check out.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19456 posts
22578 upvotes
GTA
Kaitlyn wrote: Just moved into a new place (rental) and only this morning realized it has an induction cooktop - all my current frypans don't work with it.

I really liked my 2piece Henckels Marquina set, but it seems only the Marquina Plus works with induction. Should I be on the lookout for that - are there other alternatives or things I should look for when getting compatible cookware?
You could try an adapter/converter https://www.amazon.ca/VonShef-inoxydabl ... B076X3V46R
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Sep 12, 2003
657 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Or jus buy some stainless steel pots from stores.
Heatware: TheOneBarton
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1500 posts
913 upvotes
ottawa
As others have said try this OP. Keep in mind it works insanely slower than if you had induction capable pots, but I'm now realizing after going from induction to ceramic that everything seems slow so if you've never used induction you won't know what you're missing anyways :)
Jan 20, 2007
134 posts
17 upvotes
Coquitlam
Kaitlyn wrote: Just moved into a new place (rental) and only this morning realized it has an induction cooktop - all my current frypans don't work with it.

I’ve recently bought an induction stove and I love it! Yes, I did buy new cookware but I went to Homesense and picked up a few pots and a frying pan, my older Heritage the Rock frypan is fine on it (magnetic bottom). IKEA also has some inexpensive pots & pans that work, just look for the induction symbol. Takes a bit of getting used to (have all your ingredients ready before you turn on the element, as things cook faster) but you may well not want to go back to electric!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4599 posts
1833 upvotes
GTA
If you're going to be at this rental for any reasonable length of time do yourself a favor and just buy some new pots and pans. You may as well make use of this feature, plus there's a good chance future rentals may also have induction cook tops.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22824 posts
21656 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Time to buy some decent cookware ...
Stainless Steel, Cast Iron and Enamelled Cast Iron all work on Induction Cooktops
And every other sort of cooktop (electric, ceramic, gas)

It’s an investment really ... as good pots & pans will last you decades

And once you cook in these babies ... you’ll see why chefs use them pretty much exclusively

Cheap Aluminum... gives you poor control
And poor control = poor results

Time to upgrade / move up in the world

SS is easy enough to find. You can buy a Multi piece set on sale (like Cdn Made a Paderno ... or Lagostina, etc)
Or just start out with a few items ... bought singularly at the likes of HomeSense, Winners, etc
And add to your collection over time
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5784 posts
4929 upvotes
Oakville, ON
PointsHubby wrote: Time to buy some decent cookware ...
Stainless Steel, Cast Iron and Enamelled Cast Iron all work on Induction Cooktops
And every other sort of cooktop (electric, ceramic, gas)

It’s an investment really ... as good pots & pans will last you decades

And once you cook in these babies ... you’ll see why chefs use them pretty much exclusively

Cheap Aluminum... gives you poor control
And poor control = poor results

Time to upgrade / move up in the world

SS is easy enough to find. You can buy a Multi piece set on sale (like Cdn Made a Paderno ... or Lagostina, etc)
Or just start out with a few items ... bought singularly at the likes of HomeSense, Winners, etc
And add to your collection over time
This.

And an additional point to support buying new for induction is that at least anything you buy now for induction will still work on any type of other elements in the future after your next move. If it’s induction-compatible then it’ll also work on gas, ceramic, traditional coils, etc, so it’s a better investment going forward without the limitations of your current set.
Apr 29, 2007
887 posts
604 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I agree with getting induction compatible cookware. Even one pan to start.
I luv my induction stove. If you have tried it yet it's great!
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1202 posts
806 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Luckily most of mine worked when we got an induction cooktop.. I've bought other really good pieces at places like Value Village, Goodwill etc for pennies on the dollar.. Take a fridge magnet with you , if it sticks to the bottom it will work. Winners is another place.. not all induction capable cookware says that it is.. that's why you take the fridge magnet.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
Like others have said - once you use an induction stove, going back to standard electric or even gas ranges is just no comparison. Induction is awesome.

Agree with others - invest in decent stainless steel pots and some frying pans that are induction capable