• Sep 8th, 2019 3:14 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 3, 2018
358 posts
380 upvotes

Dolby Atmos? Worth it? Vizio?

Hey Guys,

I had Vizio Atmos Speakers (Vizio SB36512-F6 36-in. 5.1.2 Home Theatre Sound Bar System with Dolby Atmos) which I bought from Costco Montreal and I loved the sound quality and the base. I bought it for $400 when it was on sale but I end up returning it as it was having connectivity issues which I heard are very popular with Vizio Speakers.

Q1. Even though there was problems connecting Speakers everytime, I loved the quality of the sound and I may buy that again but I didn't find the same price as $400, last time it was for $500 on sale. So can you suggest what should I do? Buy that or buy something else this Boxing/black Friday?

Q2. Can you suggest any other home theatre system which is better than this one? If you know any.(within the budget ofcourse <$500)

TIA
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6671 posts
3000 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Not going to be cheap - saw some speakers of the weekend - upfiring for Atmos - that each run more than your budget. I think you'll have to spend at least $400 for an AVR that supports Atmos and you rally need 7.1 for the full effect. The BB deal late last month would have got you partway (could have got a Denon SH750 and 51 Polk system for $450+ tax).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19685 posts
5774 upvotes
Toronto
7.1.2 is better than 5.1.2, but 5.1.2 is sufficient. Also, 5.1.2 is nicer than 7.1.0. However, You need good speakers, and the proper receiver.

In my case I just converted my 5.1 setup to 5.1.2 by adding two small bookshelf speakers near the ceiling angled down toward the seating area. Works pretty well, and saved me from having to buy and install ceiling speakers or buy up-firing speakers.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3174 posts
1846 upvotes
Toronto
Going to need more info to make a good recommendation. Are you looking for something small and clean or the best audio quality you can get and don't mind some cables/larger speakers? How much space do you have? Do you have a wireless speaker system already (sonos etc.)? Do you want something you can upgrade down the line? Regardless, for best bang for your dollar you are likely going to wait until black friday.

I started with a sound bar (virtual 5.1) then upgraded to a receiver+2 Elac uni-fi bookshelfs, and now have the full Elac 5.1 setup. Beats any soundbar I've heard but is also much larger and more expensive (with the exception of some high end bars out there). It's more work to setup but I know the speakers will last me for a long time, I can upgrade the receiver when I need to, and can add atmos when I have the budget/space for it.
[OP]
Dec 3, 2018
358 posts
380 upvotes
AstonM wrote: Going to need more info to make a good recommendation.
- Find my response below

Are you looking for something small and clean or the best audio quality you can get and don't mind some cables/larger speakers?
- I want the best audio quality for sure with fine bass/base. I like to watch 4K action, thriller etc. movies and these speakers add a lot experience to it. If you heard Vizio's F6 atmos, I was pretty satisfied with the quality of the sound. I realized after when I returned the speakers at Costco put back the tradtional ones. Anyways, I have seen Sonos, Bose soundbars, speakers at the BB and I think these are over-priced with the branding.

How much space do you have?
- I have a big enough living room (15x12 ft I guess), I have Vizio P65 tv already

Do you have a wireless speaker system already (sonos etc.)?
- Nope, Now I have philips 5cd system; traditional one

Do you want something you can upgrade down the line?
- open for recommendations; my budget is 500-600.

Regardless, for best bang for your dollar you are likely going to wait until black friday.
- Agree, sometimes you get the same deal once or twice a year. For example I bought vizio atmos for $400 same as black friday price.

I started with a sound bar (virtual 5.1) then upgraded to a receiver+2 Elac uni-fi bookshelfs, and now have the full Elac 5.1 setup. Beats any soundbar I've heard but is also much larger and more expensive (with the exception of some high end bars out there). It's more work to setup but I know the speakers will last me for a long time, I can upgrade the receiver when I need to, and can add atmos when I have the budget/space for it.
Thanks for your response. Look at my answers above please. Certainly, I don't want loud music, I just want the best experience.
[OP]
Dec 3, 2018
358 posts
380 upvotes
EugW wrote: 7.1.2 is better than 5.1.2, but 5.1.2 is sufficient. Also, 5.1.2 is nicer than 7.1.0. However, You need good speakers, and the proper receiver.

In my case I just converted my 5.1 setup to 5.1.2 by adding two small bookshelf speakers near the ceiling angled down toward the seating area. Works pretty well, and saved me from having to buy and install ceiling speakers or buy up-firing speakers.
I agree with the setup, however your sub-woofer, quality of the sound, position of the speakers matters too
[OP]
Dec 3, 2018
358 posts
380 upvotes
I will probably buy E6 now as they are on sale for 200 bucks in Costco Montreal. Any advice? TIA
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19685 posts
5774 upvotes
Toronto
Hsharpreet wrote: I agree with the setup, however your sub-woofer, quality of the sound, position of the speakers matters too
Yes of course. I built my setup over the course of decades actually. I went from 2.0 to 3.0 to 5.0 to 5.1 to 5.1.2. I'm sticking with this for the time. Too much hassle to move to 7.1.2 here.
Hsharpreet wrote: I will probably buy E6 now as they are on sale for 200 bucks in Costco Montreal. Any advice? TIA
If possible in your setup, honestly I think you might be better off with a 3.0 non-Atmos setup with decent speakers. However, that's going to cost a lot more than $200.
May 30, 2013
473 posts
516 upvotes
Markham
Ceiling speakers is the only way to go if you want true Atmos.
Jan 28, 2017
105 posts
144 upvotes
Upfiring speakers will have limited usefullness as most rooms aren't designed to accurately bounce the sound.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1855 upvotes
Ajax
chanc2 wrote: Ceiling speakers is the only way to go if you want true Atmos.
Agreed and to some extent a dedicated HT room. I have a 5.2.4 Atmos set up with the .4 being 4 in ceiling dedicated Atmos speakers. Watching full 4K HDR Atmos blu-ray and/or playing 4K HDR Atmos on Xbox One X can be quite an immersive experience.
May 30, 2013
473 posts
516 upvotes
Markham
mrtvgame wrote: Agreed and to some extent a dedicated HT room. I have a 5.2.4 Atmos set up with the .4 being 4 in ceiling dedicated Atmos speakers. Watching full 4K HDR Atmos blu-ray and/or playing 4K HDR Atmos on Xbox One X can be quite an immersive experience.
I have 5.2.4 setup with in-ceiling speakers in my basement too. Once you get used to the overhead channels, no matter Atmos or DTSX, you can't really go back to just 5.1 or 7.1.