Food & Drink

Dole Pineapple Juice Can Rusted On The Inside.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 10:43 am
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
721 posts
356 upvotes

Dole Pineapple Juice Can Rusted On The Inside.

Opened up the 48 oz. can lid to reuse for paint brushes after I had poured the juice into a plastic juice container. Glad I did. The can was speckled with rust on the inside with a larger patch the size of a quarter on the underside of the lid. The date was one month after the best before date but the rust had probably been there for a while as it was quite extensive.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7740 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga
Take a photo and send it to Dole.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20182 posts
4128 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Are there dents on the can?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
721 posts
356 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Sep 25th, 2016 8:31 am
No dents. Can was perfect on the outside. I was surprised and disgusted at the condition of the inside. There is no plastic coating on the inner lining just metal.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
716 upvotes
profile wrote:
Sep 25th, 2016 8:58 am
sandikosh wrote:
Sep 25th, 2016 8:31 am
No dents. Can was perfect on the outside. I was surprised and disgusted at the condition of the inside. There is no plastic coating on the inner lining just metal.
This could lead to a recall if they find out many cans are like this.
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
150 upvotes
Wood Bridge
they can tell which batch is affected simply by you supplying the can to them, they will see which julian code and lot numbers are affected
Thanks
Aug 14, 2018
1 posts
It happen to me a while ago. When i drink pineapple dole in can i saw some rust i think it is while i am drinking. Then I’m a bit curious so i open and saw the tin can inside was rusted. Is it still safe? Thank you for your response
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5615 posts
1995 upvotes
Alberta
JimmerJ91053 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 12:28 pm
It happen to me a while ago. When i drink pineapple dole in can i saw some rust i think it is while i am drinking. Then I’m a bit curious so i open and saw the tin can inside was rusted. Is it still safe? Thank you for your response
Should be ok, you're still here posting.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14080 posts
2507 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not touching anything Dole until this mess is sorted out.
It should have been dealt with at least two years ago, yet people keep complaining about it.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4528 posts
180 upvotes
GTA
It’s okay.. you got extra minerals
Jan 10, 2009
745 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
Well since they're not steel cans, it's not rust. I believe it's simply oxidation of the pineapple sediment that sticks to the edges of the can and sometimes the tin plating on them. Even if it was rust, rust is non-toxic and won't kill you. Unless things taste very metallic it's perfectly safe. That being said, with high acid foods like pineapple, tomatoes etc, once a can is opened the contents should be removed to another container (glass or plastic) if you don't use it all immediately.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2975 posts
1402 upvotes
Everywhere
Tin cans are actually made of steel and plated with tin. Both are fine if ingested. The inside of the can is normally lined with an epoxy resin (link). If there was a defect in the epoxy lining, it could have rusted the can.

I'd be more worried about ingesting the lining in the can than the rust.

edit, read your post after I wrote the above. lol, maybe that's why it rusted.
profile wrote:
Sep 25th, 2016 8:58 am
Probably just missed getting coated at the factory.
Dec 8, 2015
118 posts
46 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 12:41 am
It should have been dealt with at least two years ago, yet people keep complaining about it.
I stopped buying pineapple juice in cans years ago, they always tastes tinny to me. Got food poisoning from pre packaged sliced pineapple in container by Dole. They seem to getting sloppy with their food practicesDisappointed Face
Dec 15, 2017
986 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
rageking wrote:
Sep 25th, 2016 6:16 pm
This could lead to a recall if they find out many cans are like this.
This is normal. I have always found rust on pineapple juice cans. Its the acidity of the juice that causes this.
Oct 3, 2018
1 posts
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 12:41 am
I just opened a can of Dole pineapple juice I bought from Walmart. I was going to use the can for my plant, so i cut off the top...and behold rust...and some grey spots that look like cancer! The date is on the top of the can( the part I opened) says 2020 it is good until...I took photos and is thinking of doing what was suggested in this thread. I want my $ back and I want DOLE to answer ...why? Any ideas on how to approach this?