• Feb 22nd, 2021 2:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2605 posts
2207 upvotes
K-W/Guelph

Dollar Tree increasing prices

Dollar Tree has recently increased the prices on some food items to $1.50 from $1.25. Some say that the company will eventually make all items in the store $1.50.

Impressive that they’ve been able to keep the $1.25 price point for over 10 years now. Sucks that we have to pay more but that do be inflation.

That is all.
DUCA credit union member
15 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14607 posts
27462 upvotes
Scarborough
jacnel wrote: Impressive that they’ve been able to keep the $1.25 price point for over 10 years now.
Figured it was coming sooner or later and especially with Dollarama going up to $4. Surprised it took them this long to start raising it from $1.25.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18651 posts
6709 upvotes
Toronto
Still better than Dollarama in terms of pricing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9086 posts
2689 upvotes
London
I'm starting a store with everything for $5 called Fintastic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2605 posts
2207 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
TomRFD wrote: Figured it was coming sooner or later and especially with Dollarama going up to $4. Surprised it took them this long to start raising it from $1.25.
Exactly what I thought. I still remember the days of Dollar Giant the predecessor to Dollar Tree and they charged $1.25 for everything.
DUCA credit union member
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2619 posts
1743 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Toonie Tree sounds better anyway with the alliteration.
One more and we can have Dollars Three.
Feb 3, 2021
59 posts
9 upvotes
So in people here's experience is Dollar Tree superior to Dollarama? They've only just recently started to have any presence in my area, where as Dollarama has been systematically expanding at an accelerating pace over the past decade... lol What does candy/drinks go for at Dollar Tree? Are their food offerings similar to Dollarama? I haven't had the opportunity to check one out, however I guess for whatever reason I was skeptical they'd be as good as Dollarama, perhaps in part 'cause prior to Dollarama we didn't really have any great Dollar stores here... lol I can barely recall "Buck or Two" being a thing way back when. From what I recall they didn't have any where near the inventory Dollarama does. I'm not even sure if the ones here sold anything edible at all... lol

I guess another reason is perhaps their name doesn't inspire confidence. I think it sounds sorta strange. Not as catchy as Dollarama...lol

Thanks to anyone that cares to provide any insight![Also hope it's okay to ask that here seeing as many are already kinda comparing the two in this post... lol Figured it'd be silly to start a separate post just to ask a related question or dig up an inactive one more directly dicussing the differences if such a post exists lol]

-Glory Fades
Feb 3, 2021
59 posts
9 upvotes
peli33 wrote: One more and we can have Dollars Three.
lol I kinda like Toonie Tree despite no being a fan of the "Tree" component of the actual brand name lol... I also appreciate the cleverness of the Dollar Three name, however it might be a bit cinfusing to consumers. I don't get the other dude's joke about "Fintastic" selling 5$ stuff... If it's just the "I" replacing the "a" I find it inadequate and a sloppy attempt. lol It ought to at least be something like "5Tastic/Fivtastic"... Also they'd have to find a lot of cool products they could offer for 5$ to make that gimmick work imo... Especially since they said everything. THe majority of what Dollarama sells is not 4$, that's just their max price...

-Glory Fades
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9086 posts
2689 upvotes
London
GloryFades wrote: lol I kinda like Toonie Tree despite no being a fan of the "Tree" component of the actual brand name lol... I also appreciate the cleverness of the Dollar Three name, however it might be a bit cinfusing to consumers. I don't get the other dude's joke about "Fintastic" selling 5$ stuff... If it's just the "I" replacing the "a" I find it inadequate and a sloppy attempt. lol It ought to at least be something like "5Tastic/Fivtastic"... Also they'd have to find a lot of cool products they could offer for 5$ to make that gimmick work imo... Especially since they said everything. THe majority of what Dollarama sells is not 4$, that's just their max price...

-Glory Fades
Fin is slang for a five.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4788 posts
2500 upvotes
GloryFades wrote: So in people here's experience is Dollar Tree superior to Dollarama? They've only just recently started to have any presence in my area, where as Dollarama has been systematically expanding at an accelerating pace over the past decade... lol What does candy/drinks go for at Dollar Tree? Are their food offerings similar to Dollarama? I haven't had the opportunity to check one out, however I guess for whatever reason I was skeptical they'd be as good as Dollarama, perhaps in part 'cause prior to Dollarama we didn't really have any great Dollar stores here... lol I can barely recall "Buck or Two" being a thing way back when. From what I recall they didn't have any where near the inventory Dollarama does. I'm not even sure if the ones here sold anything edible at all... lol

I guess another reason is perhaps their name doesn't inspire confidence. I think it sounds sorta strange. Not as catchy as Dollarama...lol

Thanks to anyone that cares to provide any insight![Also hope it's okay to ask that here seeing as many are already kinda comparing the two in this post... lol Figured it'd be silly to start a separate post just to ask a related question or dig up an inactive one more directly dicussing the differences if such a post exists lol]

-Glory Fades
Dollar Tree is fantastic for bread (!!!), chips (Go Snax or something, but just recently Dollarama got them), I've grabbed Sensodyne Mouthwash (YMMV), Salicylic acid face wash (YMMV), Cetaphil knock off (YMMV), and just various odds and ends like dental floss and cleaners. Food options are actually pretty decent at that price point too and have many options you won't find at Dollarama (and vice versa).

Dollarama is great for candy, so much so that it's better than some premium offerings at times. Name escapes me, but they have this strawberry mini straw-shaped candy with a white filling that is just addictive as hell. Dollarama also scratches that threshold where you COULD gift some of the items you find there, whereas with Dollar Tree it's obvious you're cutting corners, but that isn't as big of a deal for personal use.

IMO, Dollar Tree is the first store you go to with your shopping list. Whatever you don't find there, you go to Dollarama to get the rest.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2605 posts
2207 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
GloryFades wrote: So in people here's experience is Dollar Tree superior to Dollarama? They've only just recently started to have any presence in my area, where as Dollarama has been systematically expanding at an accelerating pace over the past decade... lol What does candy/drinks go for at Dollar Tree? Are their food offerings similar to Dollarama? I haven't had the opportunity to check one out, however I guess for whatever reason I was skeptical they'd be as good as Dollarama, perhaps in part 'cause prior to Dollarama we didn't really have any great Dollar stores here... lol I can barely recall "Buck or Two" being a thing way back when. From what I recall they didn't have any where near the inventory Dollarama does. I'm not even sure if the ones here sold anything edible at all... lol

-Glory Fades
Dollar Tree is basically Dollarama but a bit cheaper. They sell different items than Dollarama, usually at a lower quality, but at much better prices. Selection is pretty good too which each store having a good selection of housewares, food, personal hygiene products, and stationary. I prefer it slightly over Dollarama.
DUCA credit union member
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12936 posts
2225 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
GloryFades wrote: So in people here's experience is Dollar Tree superior to Dollarama?
Well Dollar Tree is a max of $1.25 (soon to be $1.50), whereas Dollarama is up to $4.00, so the variety of products that can be sold for $1.25 is going to be limited. But sometimes you can find the same/similar item at Dollar Tree which is more expensive at Dollarama.

I prefer to buy from Dollar Tree if I can, to spread the money around, since I know there will be stuff that I'll buy at Dollarama that I can't at Dollar Tree. In case it matters, Dollarama is Canadian, whereas Dollar Tree is US.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4268 posts
3698 upvotes
Toronto
Unless you're picky, Dollar Tree usually has the equivalent item for 50c or $1 less than Dollarama. However, Dollarama's stuff at the $4 price point is quite impressive and there seems to be one every few blocks in the GTA while Dollar Trees are more rare.

Dollar Tree seems to be the Dollarama equivalent in the U.S., in that they are everywhere (at least in the American cities we've travelled to) and we always like to go there to pick up misc items and especially snacks and drinks we don't see in Canada. In the U.S., they also have freezers with frozen treats and microwave food.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2605 posts
2207 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
As an update, I went to Dollar Tree to see what has changed and I thought I'd give a general list of what's changed in price:

- Some food has gone up to $1.50 but it was mostly candy. Most other food stuffs are still $1.25.
- Nearly all Betty Crocker kitchen tools and utensils are now $1.50, Dollar Tree's equivalent store brand kitchen utensils are still $1.25.
- Most cleaning supplies are now $1.50. Cleaning chemicals are still $1.25 but things like brooms are $1.50. Unfortunately the cleaning products where you have to buy each individual component (brooms, mops) are now $1.50 per component (or $1.50 total for some things like the sponge mop).
- Spray bottles are $1.50 (which kinda sucks because after covid hit the quality of Dollar Tree's spray bottles tanked, they used to be awesome).
- If it's covid related it's $1.50 (cleaning supplies, gloves, spray bottles, etc.). Excludes hand sanitizer.
- Some plastic bins are $1.50 (larger bins like laundry bins for example).
- Anything to do with laundry is $1.50 (soap, stain removers, laundry bins as indicated earlier).
- Oddly clip boards are $1.50.
- Some body wash and soap is $1.50 (mainly Irish Spring body bars). Luckily hand soap is still $1.25.

And that's everything I remember seeing with a higher price, if anyone knows of others items that went up but are not listed here feel free to share.

I'm hoping that these price increases allow Dollar Tree to offer some higher quality products because honestly some of their products are trash.
DUCA credit union member
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1867 posts
1709 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

-Glory Fades
I love dollar tree much better. Not only are the prices cheaper, they seem to have way more items, and unique items that a person would realistically use. For instance, there are chocolates that I have a hard time finding in any stores, but I find them in dollartree.
😎Thanks RFD😎