Expired Hot Deals

[Dollar Tree] Panasonic Carbon Zinc 9V Battery for Low/Slow Drain Devices ( best before date is visible on battery ) - $1.25

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2020 3:11 pm
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2506 posts
1081 upvotes
GTA
karlb wrote: Given how cheap 9V alkaline batteries are from amazon.ca at $1.48 each in an 8 pack or from homedepot at $1.56 each in an 8 pack, I'm not sure why anybody would bother with carbon zinc.
+1

My local No Frills often has a 2 pack of their house brand 9 volt alkaline batteries for $2. The first time I saw them I assumed it was an error. That was several months ago but they have been at that price frequently since YMMV
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Jun 18, 2016
409 posts
1113 upvotes
Alkaline batteries have 4-8x the capacity of carbon zinc. Don’t bother unless you love changing batteries, paying more, and hate the environment.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2093 posts
1397 upvotes
Calgary
Didn’t even realize there was a difference vs alkaline when I bought one last weekend for a kids toy remote. Will stick to alkaline next time.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2020
138 posts
85 upvotes
MooseV2 wrote: Alkaline batteries have 4-8x the capacity of carbon zinc. Don’t bother unless you love changing batteries, paying more, and hate the environment.
< 2x/3x against the generic/name brands respectively.

Only the Panasonic is carbon zinc in this test

[OP]
Oct 10, 2020
138 posts
85 upvotes
karlb wrote: Given how cheap 9V alkaline batteries are from amazon.ca at $1.48 each in an 8 pack or from homedepot at $1.56 each in an 8 pack, I'm not sure why anybody would bother with carbon zinc.

The typical "shelf-life" for alkaline is 5 years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-discharge ). And 3% anual compound interest on $13 in 3 years is worth $1.21.

Unless all the 8 alkaline batteries are used within 5 years, spending 10x more to store the batteries is a poor choice.