Dollarama

6.5” Ring Light with Tripod, Adjustable brightness & color temp $4

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2021 1:00 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1079 posts
607 upvotes
itemsale2003 wrote: White cloth over desk lamp can burn the cloth in no time. Careful with what you experiment.
*After the fire gets put out*

Insurance - "So, what were you doing putting a combustible cloth over your lava hot halogen desk lamp?"

RFD scientist - "I was running an experiment to see if I should buy a $4 ring light or not."

Insurance - "Well, congratulations, you played yourself. You could have bought 200 of those ring lights for the $1000 deductible you now have to pay us for this claim. Btw: that ring light sounds awesome, let me know if you ever see one in stock, my daughter wants one for Christmas."

Face Savouring Delicious Food
Dec 27, 2017
150 posts
214 upvotes
itemsale2003 wrote: White cloth over desk lamp can burn the cloth in no time. Careful with what you experiment.
If you are using a light from the 1970s. If you are using an 8 or 11 watt CFL bulb it will not burn up. Certainly not with a few LEDs that remain even cooler. You could put a cloth in an easy bake oven and it may not even smolder for 5 minutes.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2017
1323 posts
1305 upvotes
HeartofDarius13 wrote: If you are using a light from the 1970s. If you are using an 8 or 11 watt CFL bulb it will not burn up. Certainly not with a few LEDs that remain even cooler. You could put a cloth in an easy bake oven and it may not even smolder for 5 minutes.
Yeah but this would require common sense from RFDers which is very clear some just completely lack. So better safe than sorry to give warnings
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
2167 posts
609 upvotes
Wow I've never seen a light BEHIND monitor, but pretty cool effect. I'm guessing helps in the dark???
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15120 posts
9535 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Raimond wrote: Wow I've never seen a light BEHIND monitor, but pretty cool effect. I'm guessing helps in the dark???
It helps reduce eye fatigue and is commonly put around TV's, there's an older RFD Monster LED strip at Dollarama where people were doing this. Amazon smart ones look brighter with varied colours and edge application vs a small ring at the back.

Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15120 posts
9535 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The discussion of posting a self-image, this ring light is not big or bright enough for faces. Professionally, this is like a giant ring light but rectangles and you can see the catchlights in her eyes.

You need something more like this, and while it won't produce a headshot like above, it'll make nice circular catchlights in the eyes ie; the purpose of ring lights.

Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15120 posts
9535 upvotes
Southern Ontario
OlivierM3635 wrote: Would you have a link for the ones you use?

Thanks!
I don't use ring lights for portrait photography, I use softboxes, umbrellas, reflectors, Magmods, and/or beauty dishes depending on the look I'm after.
Jun 22, 2020
25 posts
4 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: I don't use ring lights for portrait photography, I use softboxes, umbrellas, reflectors, Magmods, and/or beauty dishes depending on the look I'm after.
I was talking about the light in the picture with your monitor, it looks really slick! I'm looking for lights to put behind mine I find the philips play but it's quite expensive
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15120 posts
9535 upvotes
Southern Ontario
OlivierM3635 wrote: I was talking about the light in the picture with your monitor, it looks really slick! I'm looking for lights to put behind mine I find the philips play but it's quite expensive
Oh sorry, that’s not my monitor. The last multicoloured LED strip lights I bought were $8 for 9ft, was an RFD deal, not listed on Amazon anymore. And currently there’s a 16ft one at Costco on sale for $24, outdoor application, haven’t opened it:

Jul 27, 2014
785 posts
602 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Any RFD-approved mounts for sticking this to the top of a 27" monitor for on camera meetings?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2001
2895 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: The discussion of posting a self-image, this ring light is not big or bright enough for faces. Professionally, this is like a giant ring light but rectangles and you can see the catchlights in her eyes.

You need something more like this, and while it won't produce a headshot like above, it'll make nice circular catchlights in the eyes ie; the purpose of ring lights.

Wow! Not only did it change the catch lights in the eyes from rectangles to circles but unexpectedly also the gender of the photographer's subject.
Amazing what light can do...
RFD OG 20+ years
Apr 26, 2019
465 posts
615 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: Oh sorry, that’s not my monitor. The last multicoloured LED strip lights I bought were $8 for 9ft, was an RFD deal, not listed on Amazon anymore. And currently there’s a 16ft one at Costco on sale for $24, outdoor application, haven’t opened it:

You can also find these on AliExpress (not the exact same product, but same idea) for dirt cheap if you're willing to wait 2 months for delivery. I have a couple behind mine and my daughter's beds that turn on with the rest of our lights via Alexa (plugged into a smart plug) and they look great:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296338 ... 4c4dWcg0R4
Last edited by GordonGartrelle on Oct 27th, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15120 posts
9535 upvotes
Southern Ontario
GordonGartrelle wrote: You can also find these on AliExpress (not the exact same product, but same idea) for dirt cheap if you're willing to wait 2 months for delivery. I have a couple behind mine and my daughter's beds that turn on with the rest of our lights via Alexa (plugged into a smart plug) and they look great:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296338 ... 4c4dWcg0R4
My kids wanted those around their ceiling and I ended up buying on Amazon for <$20, likely cheaper on Ali. They talk to Alexa to turn them on/off, change colours, control brightness, GoSund app I think, they don’t need the app or remote. And I set up an auto off at night if they forget. Not their room but like this:

Oct 14, 2003
69 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto ON
I check every time I go into a Dollarama and I have yet to see any in stock. (Windsor area).
Sep 3, 2018
58 posts
17 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: Maybe for really small items. Instead you can shoot professional looking product photography with window light, basically a natural daylight balanced giant softbox. It’s also how commercial food photography is taught. Google it and you’ll find a ton of examples. Even ring lights used for studio portraits are quite large.

Where did you get the large & long yellow paper ? Thanks
Oct 30, 2019
167 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
KyleG39654 wrote: Where did you get the large & long yellow paper ? Thanks
You can find seamless paper at photography stores (e.g. Vistek and Henry's). Most will be wider than the one pictured though.