Hot Deals

[Dollarama] Berkel Knives above UBER HOT

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2020 2:19 pm
Oct 20, 2019
153 posts
227 upvotes
Ottawa
My go to daily knife for bread and meat is from Dollarama - Cuisineart. It's been doing good, no rust, and I keep it sharp. Who am I to complain about it if I paid 3$ and it's doing the job right?

Not sure why people triggered by this "deal" ?
Images
  • 20200826_134810.jpg
" If you really want to save money, don't browse RFD " - Unkown
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1564 posts
468 upvotes
Still waiting to hear if it's a good $4 bread knife. If yes, I'll buy one. My current go-to bread knife is a "Forever Sharp" knife from those TV infomercials.
Penalty Box
Jan 26, 2017
849 posts
896 upvotes
ThugLife003 wrote: Found these knives at the Dollarama in Pickering Town Centre Ar 4 bucks a pop. Sets of these cost hundreds outside. Attaching pics for reference. Happy hunting.
Buy now...think later.
These are legit.
If you don't want to get then don't. Crazy flaming hot. People are already re-selling on Kijjii for $$$$$!!!
Oct 5, 2006
334 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
GreyingJay wrote: Still waiting to hear if it's a good $4 bread knife. If yes, I'll buy one. My current go-to bread knife is a "Forever Sharp" knife from those TV infomercials.
Serrated bread knives are disposable by nature as the teeth wears out and there's no great way to sharpen them yourself at home. I usually buy any old bread knife and Chuck it once it losses it's effectiveness.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2451 posts
844 upvotes
Ottawa
Squeeky wrote:
That should say something.

You could always buy a box full and swap them out rather than sharpening them. Still cheaper than the Made in Italy ones.
For real, you could buy like 20 of these. Every time it gets really bad just swap it out. Could easily last you 40 years worth of cutting.
sblessley wrote: "A fool and their money are soon parted"
"You get what you pay for"
"If it seems too good to be true, it is".
The last dollarama knife I bought lasted a good like 4-5 years for me. But now that I have something better it sits in the drawer. But it still works. The value of cheap knives is certainly there. And they have even better stuff at dollarama these days compared to when I bought it. I think its definitely worth more than $4 if you gonna be using it for a couple of years.
miningminer wrote:
I have a $200 hand made santoku knife from knifewear. I used it for many years but now my go-to knife is a cheap $4 one from dollarama. I actually prefer it to the japanese knife because it goes into the dishwasher, and I hone it each time on a sharpening block before I use it so it's always razor sharp. Because it's so cheap I don't care. For those people about to drop hundreds of dollars on a good knife, I'd suggest they try that first.
Yea, I bought an expensive Whustof santoku because it was on sale when Sears was discontinuing them. It has been amazing for the weight and how sharp I can get it. But because I know it is expensive, I'm always more careful with it.
aouniat wrote: My go to daily knife for bread and meat is from Dollarama - Cuisineart. It's been doing good, no rust, and I keep it sharp. Who am I to complain about it if I paid 3$ and it's doing the job right?

Not sure why people triggered by this "deal" ?
I still have my dollarama santoku from like 10 years ago. It has dents in it because I had no idea how to sharpen or that I actually needed to do it when I was in university. But...i still have it, and I kind of fixed the blade edge and it works great. ..for like $3, 10 years ago. I can't argue with that. It doesn't compare to my whustof, but if I go camping or out bbq, i'm not gonna bring an expensive knife with me. People shouldn't be getting upset at the wares from dollarama.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2009
1034 posts
293 upvotes
Vancouver
Indubitably wrote: Has Dollarama ever sold counterfeit products before? If they have then this is the first I'm hearing of it.
It happens. The way these stores acquire their products is they have these fares where vendors all sell to the different franchises. The vendors often have products they've self-important from Asia. If the buyer hasn't done their research on the individual product they might end up accidentally (or negligently) distributing fake products.

Dollarama also produces their own products, which sometimes have confusingly similar branding. This is different though, as it actually has someone else's brand on it. This is straight up counterfeit good.
Jul 5, 2018
307 posts
1304 upvotes
I just bought this and opened it and wanted to test the sharpness to see how legitimate these were. I placed a 5 lb pork loin on a large cutting board and tapped the top of the pork loin lightly. The entire thing cut in half and I was shocked and impressed. I left the knife on top of the pork loin. Then 2 seconds later the table split in two and fell apart and the pork loin and cut in half cutting board hit the ground. The knife fell a bit slower and tapped the pork loin again and suddenly a giant hole was cut in my floor and the pork loin was now falling to my basement as was the cutting board. I heard a thunk and ran to my basement. I saw a giant hole in the ground. It had sliced right through a stack of 45 lb cast iron plates as well. I'm currently shining my phone flashlight down the hole while posting this and don't see the bottom.

Buyer beware. This story is as legitimate as this knife deal.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26799 posts
6014 upvotes
Hamilton
It’s still a good deal at $4.
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
5791 posts
2290 upvotes
Canuckland
It’s not bad for a knife at $4 but can’t compare it with the genuine knife
Nov 19, 2009
623 posts
451 upvotes
Toronto
it sure seems that every "UBER HOT!!!!!" thread sure get a lot of downvotes....
Nov 2, 2011
20 posts
2 upvotes
MARKHAM
No stock at the hwy7/kennedy store.
Feb 24, 2012
248 posts
74 upvotes
TORONTO
Thank you OP.
beljevina wrote:
You can be sure these will with time have the blade chip and splinter, and the likely low quality wood handle will separate.
You may be right, but not necessarily. ~12 years ago on my first day in Toronto I got 1 knife from dollar store and it is still one of the best knives I have bought; definitely much better than most of mediocre knives usually on sale in Canadian Tire. I don’t have multi-hundred $ knives, but I find my 12-year old dollarama knife comparable with the Ikea stainless steel knives that I bought in four different shapes/sizes for close to $100 some years ago, and am very happy with them.

So, yeah, I will check dollar store and unless I find something wrong about these knives, I will give them a shot. After all, what is to lose anyways? Like 13 bucks for all the three?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9229 posts
1813 upvotes
Montreal
jackrabbit000 wrote: Who the heck upvoted?
OP no doubt. Everyone rushing to buy knock off / crap versions made for Dollarama knifes and resell them on ebay/whatever online.

Did anybody contact Berkel to see if they made these bad quality versions of their knifes for Dollarama, it IS possible you know.