Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dollarama

Borggreve Gerwurz Spekulatius (Spice Cookies)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2019 7:08 am
Tags:
Jan 22, 2017
659 posts
1694 upvotes

[Dollarama] Borggreve Gerwurz Spekulatius (Spice Cookies)

I find these once a year in Dollarama's usually in stock from October-December. I cannot find them at the larger groceries and I am in a fairly large city.
You could be forgiven for mistaking them for some of the other questionable food at Dollarama because of their packaging.
But FWIW they are a high quality German biscuit and they are seasonal. The only other place I have seen them is in a specialty shop for $7.99. Goes great with tea.
Images
  • F160005663.jpg
102 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1686 posts
1254 upvotes
Calgary
what do they normally sell for? Is this a good deal because of the price or because you can't buy them anywhere else?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
lord wayne wrote: what do they normally sell for? Is this a good deal because of the price or because you can't buy them anywhere else?
good lord
CrazyCatMan wrote: But FWIW they are a high quality German biscuit and they are seasonal. The only other place I have seen them is in a specialty shop for $7.99. Goes great with tea.
Oct 31, 2017
250 posts
365 upvotes
here, there, and eve…
Those cookies are yummy!! Will have to stock up on them
Let's go Canucks
$35 Rogers unlimited talk and text plan between Canada, US and Mexico
27 gbs of data throughout Canada, US and Mexico
Jan 31, 2018
574 posts
597 upvotes
No sign of these cookies in Dollarama this year. Store staff guess that we won't get them in Vancouver but when pressed have no specific information & really don't know.
Hope that they do show up again, they are good.
Apr 2, 2012
66 posts
36 upvotes
Waterloo
Thanks a lot, OP.

May I ask at which Dollarama location did you find them? Are they packaged the same as in the picture you uploaded?

I tried two Dollarmas, one in Waterloo and one in Kitchener and I did not see these cookies.

I am looking forward to try them :). Have a great long weekend.
Sep 16, 2016
979 posts
1377 upvotes
Thanks for the heads up
Will give it a try when I go next time
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18642 posts
5669 upvotes
Thx OP

Because of you i bought one to try yesterday

Yummmytt

Will go back and get another few packs
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Apr 2, 2012
66 posts
36 upvotes
Waterloo
May I ask from which dollarama location did you purchase the cookies?

Thanks a lot!
kiasu wrote: Thx OP

Because of you i bought one to try yesterday

Yummmytt

Will go back and get another few packs
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12833 posts
6664 upvotes
Never seen or heard of them but ill give them a try if i can find them.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Nov 22, 2014
90 posts
134 upvotes
Halifax, NS
I've been looking for these ever since the OP first posted this. They're finally in stock at the Halifax Bayer's Lake Dollarama. My kids love them - tasty, fresh and perfect for dunking in a hot cup of tea! Not too spicy - sort of like ginger snaps, but more cinnamony. Thanks OP - excellent find!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
2300 posts
2175 upvotes
Laval, QC
This cookies show up in Dollarama are not because of close to expiry date or something?
I had found Dollarama has jamieson vitamins for $3 before but they were all about to expire in 2-3 months

Would still give it a try if I can find it anyway
Jan 22, 2017
659 posts
1694 upvotes
Karlmtl wrote: This cookies show up in Dollarama are not because of close to expiry date or something?
I had found Dollarama has jamieson vitamins for $3 before but they were all about to expire in 2-3 months

Expiry on mine were April 2019.
I believe Dollarama buy out overstock from merchandisers for a lot of their food items that aren't labelled or manufactured for their chain (which are mostly crap in my experience)
It's basically the same stuff you would find in grocery stores but from overseas (for examples I found Cheeze-Itz, Keebler crackers/cookies, Combos, Italian made cookies all of which I cannot find in any of my local grocery stores unfortunately).
So for some import foods they are excellent.
Anyway went back to get some more and now sold out!
Jan 22, 2017
659 posts
1694 upvotes
Karlmtl wrote: This cookies show up in Dollarama are not because of close to expiry date or something?

Also FWIW i don't think vitamins expire. They may lose potency with time but they don't turn into poison or something on or after expiration date. In fact the date is there mostly for manufacturers to sell new stock!
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3782 posts
2775 upvotes
Airdrie
ChefBT wrote: Not too spicy - sort of like ginger snaps, but more cinnamony.
That's pretty accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculaas

Superstore used to have a President's Choice version that was wonderful but I haven't seen that in years.

These are better: https://www.dutchsweets.com/molens-bank ... -p-46.html
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1885 posts
1885 upvotes
Guelph
That's one tough handle for a cookie. Looks like you just punched your keyboard a whole bunch making that title lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5991 posts
3584 upvotes
Toronto
LawEightSix wrote: That's one tough handle for a cookie. Looks like you just punched your keyboard a whole bunch making that title lol
That's a German Brand plus a German/Latinate name. The real thing is from the Netherlands -- Speculaas. Oh, the culture wars.

(I don't find Speculaas very interesting but other do. You can even get a Speculaas sandwich spread.)
Nov 26, 2017
394 posts
425 upvotes
Montréal
Saw this and bought one. Yummy!

I'm definitely gonna buy more. Thanks, OP!
😄
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10692 posts
5489 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh wrote: That's a German Brand plus a German/Latinate name. The real thing is from the Netherlands -- Speculaas. Oh, the culture wars.

(I don't find Speculaas very interesting but other do. You can even get a Speculaas sandwich spread.)
spekulatius and speculaas...so many new and interesting things to try.
i draw the line at speculums however. don't let the name fool you as they are not so yum.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.