3402 upvotes
SAINT JOHN

[Dollarama] Dollarama: Betty Crocker 6" Cast Iron Pan $4.00 + Misc finds

Price:
$4.00
Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
Ok, was out the last few days running around doing some shopping for a family member and stumbled upon a few Dollarama's along the way. While at the Dollarama's I spotted the Betty Crocker 6" for $4.00 .

Now I did get 2 last time it was mentioned in a Dollarama thread but seeing as IIRC a few people were looking for one before I thought I'd help out with the places I saw them. The locations I'll be listing are in Toronto. Everyone is welcome to input thier local Dollarama from whatever city/province you're from.

PLEASE UPDATE if you've bought the pan on how many are left.

Dollarama @ Woodside Mall
--At least 5 boxes
-Long sleeve wicking starter shirts in S/M/L/XL
-Long sleeve wicking mossy oak shirts all sizes

Dollarama @ Chartwell Center (Brimley/Huntingwood)
- At least 5 boxes
- 1 box was hidden by me. If sold out and someone wants it let me know. I was last there Oct 1.

Dollarama @ Parkwoods (Beside Food Basics near Parkway Mall)
-Counted 10 boxes
-Has tulip bulbs (at least 5 varieties)
-Still has potting soil (lots)

EDIT:

If anyone is doing any backyard camping or IDK day camping (is the Rouge Campground even open?) and looking for firestarters (yes I know you can make your own with egg cartons or cotton balls w/vasaline or scrap resin off a pine tree or check the curbs for pine trees for fatwood) the Dollarama by NYGH (Leslie/York Mills) still has a lot of firestarters for IIRC $1.25. IIRC they had about 20-25 packages left after I got like 6-7 packs to see me through the next few months of BBQing before the the snow comes.

I can't find firestarters anymore at Dollarama since most have packed away thier BBQ section. Even those short 1.5" - 2" extended tip BBQ lighters are gone for the season. Those are perfect for the Firebox Stove as they fit in the pouch and still lets you poke into the wood fire ports to light charcoal and stuff. Also noticed some of those extended tip lighters don't have a refill port any more on the last few I got. :( A lot of times you can refill the lighter a few times before the flint stops working.

EDIT2:

Dollarama @ Leslie/York Mills

- 2 x cast iron

- 8+ x 8in carbon steel non stick pans. You can use it with the non stick or get some sand paper and sand off the non stick coating and burn in 10-12 light coatings of cooking oil to season it and you'll have a nice carbon steel pan paired up with that cast iron pan

- 2 x 2.xL bag for $1.25. Lots of potting soil. I checked with the clerk if the pricing was a mistake and she confirmed 2 bags for $1.25 . There is also a larger 3L bag of potting soil for $2.00

Dollarama @ Yonge St/Steeles Ave

- 4 x cast iron pans
- Lots of long sleeve camo wicking shirts
- They have panatone (Italian desert bread. Super yummo!!)
Last edited by thedealhunter2000 on Oct 7th, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
11 replies
Apr 27, 2018
68 posts
12 upvotes
Thanks for posting! Do you have a picture?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2589 posts
3402 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
Just got back getting some stuff for the folks and passed 2 other Dollaramas to update.

Dollarama @ Leslie/York Mills

- 2 x cast iron

- 8+ x 8in carbon steel non stick pans. You can use it with the non stick or get some sand paper and sand off the non stick coating and burn in 10-12 light coatings of cooking oil to season it and you'll have a nice carbon steel pan paired up with that cast iron pan

- 2 x 2.xL bag for $1.25. Lots of potting soil. I checked with the clerk if the pricing was a mistake and she confirmed 2 bags for $1.25 . There is also a larger 3L bag of potting soil for $2.00

Dollarama @ Yonge St/Steeles Ave

- 4 x cast iron pans
- Lots of long sleeve camo wicking shirts
- They have panatone (Italian desert bread. Super yummo!!)

pointx wrote: Thanks for posting! Do you have a picture?
I'll post a pic later tonight (or give me a day or two I need ot free up space on the camera) of the pan.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Dec 31, 2007
469 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP.

Does anyone know where the dollarama thread is? I want to post a find there
Aug 16, 2009
190 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
Spotted in my local Dollarama in Surrey BC.
They are in boxes.
Images
  • PXL_20201007_232035700.jpg
Apr 22, 2004
236 posts
1 upvote
Saint-Laurent
Does it mention what they used for seasoning the pan?
Feb 5, 2010
305 posts
106 upvotes
pay for a real cast iron pan it will last a lifetime and you can be confident in the material its made of
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1240 posts
1385 upvotes
GTA
LOL at "the material its made of". It's Fe, not much to be confident of there. Yeah, it's gonna be recycled iron, like almost everything is. Lodge USA also uses recycled steel/iron in their pans. As for what is used to season it, oil, probably inferior, but still oil. Don't like that? Toss it into your self cleaning oven which will burn all that off since its just on the surface, then season it with what you want.

I'm not really worried about any of those things. It's pretty simple to cast a pan from iron and then throw it into some oil. The oil may be ok or may be suspect. Regardless, the oil will only be on the surface, so a self-cleaning oven will easily burn it off. Or any degreaser will also remove it. Don't expect they did a real thorough, deep seasoning. More likely a quick coat of oil so it doesn't rust in transit.

For $4, you're not getting a nicely finished pan. The casting is likely a bit rough and the inside will take a long time to get smooth. But, hey, it's $4.

I miss the old cast iron where they machined the insides smooth and with minimal seasoning, they became basically non-stick.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2888 posts
188 upvotes
this pan is stupidly small, size of an egg

don''t think you can cook a steak on this, hard pass
Jul 7, 2013
562 posts
795 upvotes
Fab find - thx for the share, OP - upvoted! Perfect for a couple of eggs or skillet desserts!

Funny last year GT had one discounted for ~$7 and I thought about it but put it back...now a score for 4 bucks! Of course I don't expect it to be well seasoned but I will do that myself with the flax seed oil method (google it).

Maybe those reading this thread will also appreciate that there were Wilton 13" offset spatulas stocked for $3 too - glad to add 1 to my baking tool collection. Trifecta with the AMEX promo: what a fab Dollarama day! Face With Tears Of Joy

cheers,
:)