Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
[dollarama]knife sharpener $4 hand and motorized
62204619-59D0-4D29-86BF-42C1D5BA83CA.jpeg
D8350CC1-0B0A-4B4F-A69F-57E804C1326F.jpeg

Same type hand knife sharpener at canadian tire
$44.99 lowest on sale price was $9.99
$4 can’t be wrong, what do you think? I am more interested in the motorized one, but its batteries operated.

update1: Go for the hand one, do not buy the motorized sharpener ! Reason below.

Sakame wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 4:57 pm
An automatic suggested vid right after watching the infomercial popped this up.
if u understand Chinese its pretty amusing to watch the subtitles. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Hong Kong accent, as seen on TV product
Watching now

Edit: after watch this video I do not recommend buying the motorized one , it damage the sharp edge of the knife.

Credit to Sakame

Update 2: according to PriceMatchFighter the motorized sharpener also a good choice to buy!
Credit to PriceMatchFighter(RFer ON)

PriceMatchFighter wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 6:40 pm
I bought 2 of them today and they work amazing on my kitchen knives and garden shears here's a quick video made.

Last edited by battlezone on Aug 20th, 2019 11:20 am, edited 9 times in total.
90 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23415 posts
9058 upvotes
Obviously these are terrible for your knives, but most people have terrible knives to begin with.
Oh and they're dull AF so they're terrible and dangerous.

Totally not for someone that has good knives, but arguably an excellent idea for the (below) average household
Jan 28, 2018
656 posts
1033 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don’t know about the motorized one, but the manual ones sharpen dull knives right up.
We The North!
Dec 21, 2017
3 posts
2 upvotes
Save 4 dollars and use an old leather belt.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2011
258 posts
139 upvotes
I had this one at home bought on sale for $9.99 at canadian tire.
10308CF1-8451-4AEB-9F5C-2ECF34E82FDD.png
Jun 12, 2017
46 posts
93 upvotes
Edmonton
guezzz wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 11:43 pm
Save 4 dollars and use an old leather belt.
Leather/Jeans/etc. is used for stropping, or straightening the burrs on the edges of the knife. If your blade is actually dull, a strop will do nothing.
Nov 20, 2017
257 posts
318 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 11:35 pm
Obviously these are terrible for your knives, but most people have terrible knives to begin with.
Oh and they're dull AF so they're terrible and dangerous.

Totally not for someone that has good knives, but arguably an excellent idea for the (below) average household
Why are they terrible?

Am not super knowledgeable about knife sharpening, so I'd be curious to know why these (likely ceramic) sharpeners are of lesser quality than more expensive ceramic sharpeners.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11195 posts
4573 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
prodacc wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 11:59 pm
Why are they terrible?

Am not super knowledgeable about knife sharpening, so I'd be curious to know why these (likely ceramic) sharpeners are of lesser quality than more expensive ceramic sharpeners.
Because:

1. They will likely take off much more material than what is needed wearing out the knife faster.
2. Use the wrong bevel angle so that the knife won't cut as well as it can
3. Create a rough bevel so that the knife won't cut as well as it can.
Jun 27, 2013
301 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
been using an identical version of this with a different label, and it's good enough to get knives to the point tomatoes can be sliced without a lot of effort. You will then need to periodically hone the knife to keep it's edge. Make sure to wash knife & sharpener thoroughly
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23415 posts
9058 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 12:11 am
Because:

1. They will likely take off much more material than what is needed wearing out the knife faster.
Nailed it.

But I will take wrong angles and "missing" knives over what the starting state usually was.
Most peoples' knives barely cut butter.

I'd much rather see someone trash their knife with a crappy sharpener than leave it pristine and dull.
At least a trashed knife that's somewhat sharp can actually cut.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11195 posts
4573 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 1:03 am
Nailed it.

But I will take wrong angles and "missing" knives over what the starting state usually was.
Most peoples' knives barely cut butter.

I'd much rather see someone trash their knife with a crappy sharpener than leave it pristine and dull.
At least a trashed knife that's somewhat sharp can actually cut.
For most knives for the average person, the knives don't need to be sharpened all that often... they would be better served if the knives were properly honed often rather than sharpened. And for most people who have a knife set, they already own the steel to do the honing with so no additional cost!
Nov 20, 2017
257 posts
318 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 12:11 am
Because:

I guess I understand the theory behind how sharpeners "could" be worse, but I'm looking for evidence that supports the price-hype.

Are there any reviews/guides you use for reference that compare the performance of a $5 vs $50 sharpener?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23415 posts
9058 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 1:32 am
For most knives for the average person, the knives don't need to be sharpened all that often...
I mean... I don't regularly break into homes to examine peoples' knives, but trying the maybe couple dozen people's homes I have been in have all been terrible.
Hell my mom uses dull knives. She's part of the "I'm afraid if it's sharp!" group which is far worse.
they would be better served if the knives were properly honed often rather than sharpened.

I would totally agree if they followed proper honing techniques. But you could hone all week long and still get a butter knife if it wasn't sharp to begin with.
And for most people who have a knife set, they already own the steel to do the honing with so no additional cost!
I honestly want to know how many people actually hone their knives.
They should be, but I should also be flossing...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23415 posts
9058 upvotes
prodacc wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 1:37 am
I guess I understand the theory behind how sharpeners "could" be worse, but I'm looking for evidence that supports the price-hype.

Are there any reviews/guides you use for reference that compare the performance of a $5 vs $50 sharpener?
For manual sharpeners, there's not a significant enough difference to warrant the cost especially considering that no one is going to use this on a "good" knife.
$50 can approach an electric sharpener (kinda... not really... unless it was a price error or clearance) so I will say that an electric basically does the above, but better and worse.
It'll remove FAR more material but *should* create at least a decent angle. Some sharpeners usually have a buffing wheel too so it'll straighten up the edge.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
1731 posts
858 upvotes
Vancouver
knife sounds like wife
wife sharpener.....?