Hot Deals

[Dollarama] Globe Electric Wall Plate Night Light with Built-In Motion Sensor $4

[OP]
Nov 9, 2011
851 posts
751 upvotes
Toronto

[Dollarama] Globe Electric Wall Plate Night Light with Built-In Motion Sensor $4

Price:
$4
Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
Picked up 2 of these from Eglinton Square Dollarama (Toronto)

I like that it only turn on when the room is dark and it is activated by motion sensor.

The faceplate is not designed for those round outlet like most others I have seen at Dollarama.

No hard wiring require

Automatically shuts off after 30 seconds

it's only 20 lumens at 3000K, so it's perfect when you just want to use the bathroom at night lol
20200711_114430.jpg
Images
  • 20200710_192037.jpg
  • 20200710_192043.jpg
Thread Summary
⚠ WARNING: Wiring is not required, but the device still touches the mains. Always cut power before installing.
38 replies
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2090 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
This is great, saves a electrical socket. Will be checking my local dollarama
Feb 22, 2018
12 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto GTA
Description on the back of the packaging indicates "no hardwiring or batteries required". So just to note, the night light is probably powered by an internal non-replaceable battery. Entire faceplate will need to be replaced when the battery or light bulb gives up (probably not in years).

Nevertheless, this is still a good deal.
Jul 3, 2017
68 posts
77 upvotes
It has metal tangs that touch the outlets screws where you would wire it up .... So it's powered by the outlet
some Dollarama have the older style non deco cover
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2352 posts
1503 upvotes
These require the electrical terminals/screws to be exposed (beneath the wallplate). It just clamps over top of them (friction fit). Every fixture I've ever encountered has terminals wrapped in electrical tape, meaning this thing wont work
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
13765 posts
6701 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: These require the electrical terminals/screws to be exposed (beneath the wallplate). It just clamps over top of them (friction fit). Every fixture I've ever encountered has terminals wrapped in electrical tape, meaning this thing wont work
The tape is meant as an extra safety measure to prevent shorts but it can be removed and the outlet used safely as they have been for decades before someone thought to tape them up. Anyone who removes the tape should shut the breaker off for the outlet before removing the tape.
May 22, 2014
118 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Have a few around the house it works amazing. They make your home look a lot nicer.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4012 posts
5576 upvotes
Montreal
As it was pointed out in another RFD thread for a similar product, do not install this on a kitchen counter receptacle that topically has 2 independent circuits to accommodate 2 heavy drawing current appliances at the same time. If the metal clips bridge the 2 independent plugs, that would defeat the security of the 15 amps circuit breaker for each plug. In case of a short circuit, each plug would be able to draw 30 amps without tripping a breaker and that would be a fire risk.
Mar 23, 2010
145 posts
49 upvotes
Pickering
Temporel wrote: As it was pointed out in another RFD thread for a similar product, do not install this on a kitchen counter receptacle that topically has 2 independent circuits to accommodate 2 heavy drawing current appliances at the same time. If the metal clips bridge the 2 independent plugs, that would defeat the security of the 15 amps circuit breaker for each plug. In case of a short circuit, each plug would be able to draw 30 amps without tripping a breaker and that would be a fire risk.
If you try to install this on a "split receptacle" (as mentioned most commonly found in kitchen countertops) you will short the device/trip the breaker.
I wouldn't try to do that because the possible spark could damage the conductive tabs on this device.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4012 posts
5576 upvotes
Montreal
Do NOT install this on a "split receptacle".
But I don't think it would short the device/trip the breaker unless the wiring was already badly installed (criss-crossed).
It's like in the other thread, someone said it would make the plugs 240 Volts which I don't think is the case either.
But could an electrician confirm this over here?
Mar 16, 2013
8 posts
3 upvotes
I has a motion sensor, so I would assume it only turns on when it detects someone is moving
Mar 16, 2013
8 posts
3 upvotes
From what I can tell it would only come in contact with the lower set of wiring terminals, which means, that you shouldn't have a problem with a split receptacle. However, if you have the lower plug on that receptacle wired to a switch it would only work if your switch is on
[OP]
Nov 9, 2011
851 posts
751 upvotes
Toronto
TheGame wrote: Does it stay on when it's dark?
No it does not. Motion activated from up to 15 ft away in my test.