Expired Hot Deals

Dollarama

Globe Electric Wall Plate Night Light with Built-In Motion Sensor $4

Sep 8, 2002
297 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
DylanL wrote: From what I can tell it would only come in contact with the lower set of wiring terminals, which means, that you shouldn't have a problem with a split receptacle. However, if you have the lower plug on that receptacle wired to a switch it would only work if your switch is on
I think you are right and this particular design of wall plate connects to only to the lower receptacle. I don’t think it goes on top of the screw head. I think it makes contact with the side of the screw. So this works the majority of the time. But if the wires J hook on the top terminal hangs down a bit, it might touch or if close enough, it can arc. That’s why it works most of the time but on amazon’s there are occasional reviews with burnt receptacles.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1916 posts
1178 upvotes
Stankonia wrote: I’ve used snap power for years and love them. Cost a bit more but have a cleaner look.

https://www.snappower.com/
Lee Valley had something similar as well, but it's not available anymore. These look much better than the one from Dollarama because they look like regular wall plates without the huge bulge. The ones from Lee Valley weren't motion sensing, they were just light sensors to turn on when it's dark, with a switch for manual on/off if you wanted.

Like others have said, be careful of the type of receptacle that you install these on. If you want to know what will happen if you put them on the wrong type of receptacle, have a look at some of the photos in these Amazon reviews.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6955 posts
3418 upvotes
Toronto
tonershop wrote: Picked up 2 of these from Eglinton Square Dollarama (Toronto)

I like that it only turn on when the room is dark and it is activated by motion sensor.

The faceplate is not designed for those round outlet like most others I have seen at Dollarama.

No hard wiring require

Automatically shuts off after 30 seconds

it's only 20 lumens at 3000K, so it's perfect when you just want to use the bathroom at night lol

20200711_114430.jpg
Round outlet?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6955 posts
3418 upvotes
Toronto
xiaohua wrote: aliexpress

i use this, no motion sensor but its sleek and doesn't have that bulge. i bought more for hallways etc.
No motion sensor, but light sensor? What happens if it's in a dim hallway, it's just always on?
Nov 2, 2004
147 posts
81 upvotes
fightbriz wrote: No motion sensor, but light sensor? What happens if it's in a dim hallway, it's just always on?
it has to be very dark, like at night
Mar 4, 2006
376 posts
186 upvotes
Ottawa
I see the allure in using these but couldn’t bring myself to do it. That friction connection just doesn’t seem right.

With three little kids in the house I have bought and installed a bunch of these and they work great. They’re $20 bucks a pop and only turn on at night and have variable brightness.

https://www.rona.ca/en/duplex-outlet-ta ... e-12695201
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6014 posts
861 upvotes
Any feedback on how wide/steep of an angle the motion sensor covers?
I have a hallway where the approach is horizontal to the outlet and would like it to turn on (ideally) as soon as someone is at one end of the hallway.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1158 posts
1443 upvotes
Toronto
Arrow wrote: Any feedback on how wide/steep of an angle the motion sensor covers?
I have a hallway where the approach is horizontal to the outlet and would like it to turn on (ideally) as soon as someone is at one end of the hallway.
If have to guess, it has about 150% wide angle and range anywhere from 15 to 20 ft. Sometimes it turned on when I am as far away as 20+ ft, but reliably is at around 15ft.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1245 posts
1105 upvotes
I've tried two different kinds of these and had no luck. The outlets in my house are narrow at the back so the little tabs wouldn't make contact. I *could* have bent the tabs really far outward and they likely would have worked, but once you do that they are virtually impossible to remove as the tabs then catch on the sides of the outlet, and it wouldn't have been good, solid contact and could have resulted in arcing, so returned them all.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2158 posts
2259 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote: I've tried two different kinds of these and had no luck. The outlets in my house are narrow at the back so the little tabs wouldn't make contact. I *could* have bent the tabs really far outward and they likely would have worked, but once you do that they are virtually impossible to remove as the tabs then catch on the sides of the outlet, and it wouldn't have been good, solid contact and could have resulted in arcing, so returned them all.
i thought you couldn’t return stuff at dollarrama.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1245 posts
1105 upvotes
karnige wrote: i thought you couldn’t return stuff at dollarrama.
The ones I tried were from Lee Valley and Amazon. They were completely different brands but were virtually identical in how they connected to the outlet\switch so I'm thinking the Dollarama ones will be too.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2310 posts
499 upvotes
York
I am guessing these are not smart home compatible?
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4990 posts
2614 upvotes
GTA
The Destroyer wrote: I am guessing these are not smart home compatible?
There's nothing smart about a motion sensing light.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2310 posts
499 upvotes
York
shabby wrote: There's nothing smart about a motion sensing light.
I was just hoping to use the motion sensor to automate functions when triggered. But not for this one I guess.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1916 posts
1178 upvotes
The Destroyer wrote: I am guessing these are not smart home compatible?
This is a $4 product from Dollarama. Keep your expectations in check. Winking Face
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
1999 posts
372 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: These require the electrical terminals/screws to be exposed (beneath the wallplate). It just clamps over top of them (friction fit). Every fixture I've ever encountered has terminals wrapped in electrical tape, meaning this thing wont work
craftsman wrote: The tape is meant as an extra safety measure to prevent shorts but it can be removed and the outlet used safely as they have been for decades before someone thought to tape them up. Anyone who removes the tape should shut the breaker off for the outlet before removing the tape.
I have replaced all the old style receptacles and light switches with the newer square decora style in my house.
I have put electrical tape around each new receptacle/switch as this wasn't done back in the day.
I also screwed the hooked wires onto the screw terminal receptacle and did not use the 'Push-In Wire Connections' as they are much, much more likely to fail than the standard screw terminal connections.
Electricians almost never use push-in connectors (maybe on new home builds when they do stuff quick), and there's a reason why. No pro wants to be called back to a job to correct a bad connection, and push-in wire connections are much, much more likely to fail than the standard screw terminal connections.

I'm not really thrilled about installing this as a contact connection. IMO it is a not a good way to have a permanent connection in your home.
At least with a plug in a receptacle there are contacts on both sides, I don't think this works as well.
It used to be only death and taxes were inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)