Expired Hot Deals

[Dollarama] GLOBE - LED Always-On USB-Port Night Light

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2019 12:58 am
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4464 posts
1358 upvotes
Temporel wrote: "Rabbit" is right. The timer will use more electricity than it saves.
Even if the night light is on for nothing 12 hours per day, @ 0.5 W X 12 X 365 X $0.07/kWh = 15 cents per year in Québec including taxes would be the waste.
How much the timer cost you on top of the electricity IT consumes?
It's a mechanical timer. I believe it was $2 at Dollarama
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5334 posts
1633 upvotes
Toronto
What's wrong with always on? Just put them in places you don't mind them to be always on
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2580 posts
1612 upvotes
Parksville, BC
Generally, nightlights just shunt the power to a burn resistor during the day so there is 0 power saving whether the light is on or off. I would not buy any USB charger until a teardown of the device has been performed and its shown to have an acceptable design. Many of the cheaper units have poor clearances and/or designs that can eventually lead to your new $1200 phone getting 120VAC instead of the 5VDC it was expecting. Not only does it ruin your phone but you could get a fatal shock by touching the phone.
Last edited by flopticalcube on Jan 6th, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 10, 2004
194 posts
134 upvotes
Winnipeg
ecast2000 wrote: The ebay link says 220v. Canada has 110v. Do the lights work on 110v in your house?
These lights are made for both US and European markets and are manufactured with two different plugs as in this ebay listing where you choose the plug type when you order. The description of the item on my original ebay link was for a US plug and the second image on the listing shows a US plug which should indicate that it uses 110v.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4882 posts
7310 upvotes
Montreal
flopticalcube wrote: Generally, nightlights just shunt the power to a burn resistor during the day so there is 0 power saving whether the light is on or off. I would not buy any USB charger until a teardown of the device has been performed and its shown to have an acceptable design. Many of the cheaper units have poor clearances and/or designs that can eventually lead to your new $1200 phone getting 120VAC instead of the 5VDC it was expecting. Not only does it ruin your phone but you could get a fatal shock by touching the phone.
A $1,200 phone will have protection against over voltage.
If your night light is CSA or UL listed you'll be fine.
"fatal shock by touching the phone"? Oh, please... :rolleyes:
"Night lights electrical shocks were the number one cause of fatalities last year in Canada." *
*Brought to you by the Corporation to Scare Your Pants Off.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4882 posts
7310 upvotes
Montreal
Totoriko wrote: It's a mechanical timer. I believe it was $2 at Dollarama

Mechanical timers have a small motor inside that consumes electricity. No savings there.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2580 posts
1612 upvotes
Parksville, BC
Temporel wrote: A $1,200 phone will have protection against over voltage.
If your night light is CSA or UL listed you'll be fine.
"fatal shock by touching the phone"? Oh, please... :rolleyes:
"Night lights electrical shocks were the number one cause of fatalities last year in Canada." *
*Brought to you by the Corporation to Scare Your Pants Off.
No piddley little protection circuit on a phone will stop 120VAC and if the 120V primary gets to the ground shield of the USB, its goodbye. How soon we forget the great recall of 2018:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4108432/usb- ... th-canada/

Anything from Aliexpress as mentioned above is not likely to be CSA approved.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4464 posts
1358 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Mechanical timers have a small motor inside that consumes electricity. No savings there.
Since you seem very knowledgeable on the matter, how much current does the motor consume versus leaving that specific light on?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4882 posts
7310 upvotes
Montreal
Totoriko wrote: Since you seem very knowledgeable on the matter, how much current does the motor consume versus leaving that specific light on?
More than what it saves from turning off the night light. :)
Plus, the timer always consumes electricity 24/7/365.
We are talking pennies here. Not worth it either way.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2580 posts
1612 upvotes
Parksville, BC
Totoriko wrote: Since you seem very knowledgeable on the matter, how much current does the motor consume versus leaving that specific light on?
Mechanical timers are about 1/3 to 1/2 W. If your nightlight burns more than that, its beneficial but still pennies.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4882 posts
7310 upvotes
Montreal
flopticalcube wrote: No piddley little protection circuit on a phone will stop 120VAC and if the 120V primary gets to the ground shield of the USB, its goodbye. How soon we forget the great recall of 2018: https://globalnews.ca/news/4108432/usb- ... th-canada/ Anything from Aliexpress as mentioned above is not likely to be CSA approved.
That's why I wrote: "If your night light is CSA or UL listed you'll be fine."

Did you notice that the recall says "risk of electrical shock and may cause fires."

Not risk of FATAL shock and WILL cause fires?

"its goodbye" Goodbye to what? You've never taken a 110 Volts shock? Big deal!
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4882 posts
7310 upvotes
Montreal
flopticalcube wrote: Mechanical timers are about 1/3 to 1/2 W. If your nightlight burns more than that, its beneficial but still pennies.
Not beneficial because the timer consumes 24/7/365.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2580 posts
1612 upvotes
Parksville, BC
Temporel wrote: That's why I wrote: "If your night light is CSA or UL listed you'll be fine."

Did you notice that the recall says "risk of electrical shock and may cause fires."

Not risk of FATAL shock and WILL cause fires?

"its goodbye" Goodbye to what? You've never taken a 110 Volts shock? Big deal!
70V is enough to break through the electrical barrier provided by your skin. 25ma or more through the heart will KILL you. If you have been shocked by 120V and lived through it its because the current was limited to less than 25ma. There are cases of people being fatally shocked by cheap USB chargers and dozens of cases of fried phones and burnt chargers.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2580 posts
1612 upvotes
Parksville, BC
Temporel wrote: Not beneficial because the timer consumes 24/7/365.
So do most nightlights. Durning the day they shunt the power to a resistor.
Nov 16, 2006
856 posts
353 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Trout wrote: If a night light is what you need, I got a bunch of these on ebay for 99 cents Canadian.
I think a disadvantage of these E-Bay ones is that they might block the second plug of a double outlet. So in the bathroom you will have to unplug it to use an electric razor in the same outlet.