Nov 9, 2010
1009 posts
1790 upvotes
Montreal

[Dollarama] GreenEarth - Weed and Grass Killer 1L - $3

Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
Saw these bottles of herbicides started being shelved for spring.

Canadian Tire shows it's 9$ a bottle: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gree ... 3890p.html

I'm assuming as the brand suggest it's a greener alternative than roundup, however reviews on canadian tire seems kind of poor.
Contains aprox. Acetic Acid – 7%

Might just be a mixture of vinegar as normal white vinegar it's generally Acetic Acid 5%.
Figured I'd share anyways.
IMG_20200123_184426.jpg
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2015
2799 posts
2445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Weed and grass killer ? What's left then
Apr 23, 2016
218 posts
215 upvotes
Kelowna
carmageddon wrote: Weed and grass killer ? What's left then
Probably 95% of whatever you spray this stuff on.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
3088 posts
914 upvotes
Vancouver
*calls company greenearth*
*sells product to kill anything green*
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
1034 posts
1147 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
@azn0Richard0 to be honest, if you're in MTL, just take a day trip down to Burlington VT (actually a super nice little city) and grab some real stuff at their Lowe's. All this garb in most provinces is literally dumping your money on your lawn and watching it wash into the soil.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1717 posts
795 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
PAR3 eBay + Pump Sprayer = You're Welcome
May 2, 2013
674 posts
765 upvotes
Toronto
roundup works better than these knockoffs
Apr 30, 2009
647 posts
431 upvotes
GTA
Vinegar is quite good to kill off vegetation, and a higher strength works better. Used for places you don't want them growing (e.g. cracks in driveway/sidewalk).
Apply on a hot sunny day with no rain. Some tougher plants may need to be sprayed more than once.

And I'd buy this instead or just use normal vinegar. 2.5l of 10% for $7. Add a spray bottle from your favourite dollar store.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/allens ... 1001103360
Mar 22, 2017
729 posts
634 upvotes
karlb wrote: Vinegar is quite good to kill off vegetation, and a higher strength works better. Used for places you don't want them growing (e.g. cracks in driveway/sidewalk).
Apply on a hot sunny day with no rain. Some tougher plants may need to be sprayed more than once.

And I'd buy this instead or just use normal vinegar. 2.5l of 10% for $7. Add a spray bottle from your favourite dollar store.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/allens ... 1001103360
It isn't that good... can kill immature annuals outright, but it only really kills top growth. Anything established will typically come back unless it gets repeatedly tapped, and if it's that bad may as well just dig the weeds up. Works better with salt and a little dish soap, but then you have to worry about the impact of salt in the soil ("salting the earth").

Can also just buy jugs of pickling vinegar (4L is like a dollar a liter shipped to your house). It's the same thing, 7%. https://www.amazon.ca/Heinz-HEINZ-Pickl ... B00LM8Z8SI

At 10% I'd be cautious, just because it gets pretty strong and you have to think about minor chemical burns, getting mist in your eyes, etc. The 20% stuff some people buy is outright dangerous.
Sep 17, 2002
931 posts
389 upvotes
just use vinegar, salt and a few drops of dish soap work well...I've even added some borax and bleach at times

I found the higher the acidity the better but cost does go up especially with 10-30% and as Grumble said, be careful
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1678 posts
1200 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah, would be much cheaper to just buy pickling vinegar. The trick is to mix the vinegar with salt and dish soap. I'd go out on a bright sunny day and spray weeds. They'd be wilted and brown within the hour. No need for the carcinogenic Monsanto Roundup crap.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1332 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
iwells wrote: just use vinegar, salt and a few drops of dish soap work well...
+1. This is exactly what I use, and it is very effective on Canadian thistle (the thorny weed) - it literally turn grey in just a couple of hours. Other weeds need more reapplication.
Sep 17, 2002
931 posts
389 upvotes
i use vinegar mix on weeds between pavers, sidewalks, where there are stones or mulch...where there's no grass basically

on grass- use par3, US stuff unless you can concentrate the spray on just the weeds...which is tricky
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12080 posts
5236 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If you just want to kill whatever it lands on, I would just use hot water from a kettle - it's cheap, won't harm anything once the water cools, and leaves NO residual stuff in the soil so you can plant right away. Why even spend money on vinegar?