[Dollarama] Herald&Barnes Thermo Hygrometer and Clock - 4$

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2019 1:22 pm
Nov 29, 2014
8 posts
Toronto, ON
cursayer wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 11:01 pm
Anyone know how to turn off the beeps at every hour?
This is annoying. Anyone ever figure it out?
Nov 24, 2012
51 posts
41 upvotes
Mississauga
monkeyphs wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 10:09 pm

Anyone???
May 30, 2015
223 posts
119 upvotes
cursayer wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 11:01 pm
Anyone know how to turn off the beeps at every hour?
monkeyphs wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 10:09 pm
rogosteve wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 10:16 pm
Anyone???
- I bought 4 of them and after I put the batteries, I setup the clock on each of them.
- Then I started to hear the beeps at each hour. First time I was not sure and I thought that the sound was from some commercials on the TV. But then it was clear that it was from the clock of this device.
- I looked at the alarm settings and it looked to me logical that if the word "Alarm" and the symbol on the right of it were off, it should not be any sound. But that was not the case. The hourly beep was produced, despite the fact that none of those settings were activated/visible under the alarm settings (Adjust button turns them on or off).
- Then I saw your questions here and realized that this may be quite an annoying issue.
- I searched in Google the name printed on the box (i.e. Herald&Barnes) but they don't seem to have any trace on the Internet.
- Eventually I found a model which looks identical with this. It is called: HTC-1 Thermometer Indoor Digital LCD Hygrometer Temperature Humidity Meter Time Alarm Clock and I looked at this YouTube unpacking video:

- Based on that video, I discovered the two almost invisible buttons under the left leg of the stand (white plastic buttons on the white plastic device case and marked with white engravings). Top button says RESET and the bottom one is for changing from from Celsius to Fahrenheit. I used a magnifier to read that. Also a good light helps.
- I also read a few PDF manuals of those kind of devices which seem to look as closed as possible with the one from this deal. There was no clear instructions about that hourly beep, but I retained the idea that it could be useful to use the RESET button (although, when I read those lines in the PDF manuals, I had no idea where is the reset button on this device).

Anyway, I think that I found 2 methods to get rid of that annoying hourly beep:
1. - Pressing the RESET button (see above description for where is located on the device)
2. - Taking out the battery for 10-20 sec and then putting the battery back (maybe equivalent with the RESET button).

Note:
- So, first I setup the device without thinking that I would run into this issue. They were running for 2-3 hours before i realized that the beeps were coming from them. I am not sure if it matters that they were on for that time, and then the RESET (or taking the battery out) seemed to fix the issue. I don't know if applying these methods in the first minutes after putting the battery (and before I heard the beeps) would have worked the same way.
- The way I tested if this fixed the issue: After RESET (or after taking the battery out and putting back), I modified the minutes for the clock to 59 and waited to see if it still produced the beep at 00. It did not.
- Another thing that is not clear is if this problem is triggered by playing with the Alarm Settings (turning it on and off). After RESET, I decided not to touch the Alarm Settings anymore since I don't intend to use it anyway. I could not help thinking that this could be a bug in the integrated circuit (IC) used for this device: The display showing the hourly beep is off but in fact it remained ON after playing with the Settings during the first setup.

- I hope that this silence them permanently. I was even thinking that I will need to open them and remove/disconnect the little piezoelectric buzzer from inside the device. I am glad I did not have to do that.

From the link to eBay in that YouTube post, I found this picture that could help in locating the buttons mentioned above:

Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2756 upvotes
I could use this to replace a failing LCD clock that shows temperature and date, but it's too bad that the temperature is the big display rather than the time, and the humidity 2nd. I assume there's no way to change that?
Sep 27, 2010
140 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
pishta wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 3:18 am

Anyway, I think that I found 2 methods to get rid of that annoying hourly beep:
1. - Pressing the RESET button (see above description for where is located on the device)
2. - Taking out the battery for 10-20 sec and then putting the battery back (maybe equivalent with the RESET button).
Thanks! That was very helpful. I took out the battery and put it back in and reset the time without doing anything with the alarm settings and it has not beeped.
Exp315 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 9:49 am

I could use this to replace a failing LCD clock that shows temperature and date, but it's too bad that the temperature is the big display rather than the time, and the humidity 2nd. I assume there's no way to change that?
No there does not seem to be any way of changing that.

There were still plenty in the Leslie/York Mills location in Toronto.
May 28, 2016
132 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
Any stock left in Toronto? Couldn't find them in the 3 Dollaramas I visited.
Mar 29, 2006
119 posts
45 upvotes
Anyone care to share what section they found these in?
Oct 12, 2012
686 posts
818 upvotes
AlMosDef wrote:
May 26th, 2019 12:23 pm
Anyone care to share what section they found these in?
At the store I got it at, in between electronics and travel supplies