• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 12:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 14, 2009
2336 posts
1436 upvotes
GTA

[Dollarama] Hot Wheels $1.50

Price:
$1.50
Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
Was at Dollarama trying to buy some Dixie cups and saw lots of Hot wheels for $1.50.

This was the Heartland location. Saw a couple Zupras, Porsches, HKS Honda, Mazda RX7 FC, ect...
Images
  • _20210805_165636.JPG
Last edited by Akizuki on Aug 5th, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
32 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 12, 2006
556 posts
669 upvotes
are these the standard (rectangular cards) "mainline" hot wheels? If so, $1.50 is pretty pedestrian. Super hot if it's the more premium (usually square shaped cards).

Also, anyone seen out west? I know Dollarama stocks a lot of different items east/west.

*EDIT* Mainline - Image

Premium - Image
Last edited by Kazushi on Aug 5th, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19292 posts
7444 upvotes
Toronto
That is pretty much regular price not a hot deal. It's normally $1.25 at Walmart.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6929 upvotes
The NORTH
This post makes me feel so old... I remember buying these for like a dollar.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
4033 posts
1106 upvotes
Brampton
We always see the rectangular basic cars, I think $1.50 is regular price there.
My son always points them out and tells me his favorites.
Then I tell him mine, but that we cant get them because we already have hundreds at home. Its hard to be the responsible "adult."
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2004
8406 posts
2316 upvotes
Mississauga
They're expensive at Dollarama. Buy them at Amazon, Walmart, Canadian Tire or pretty much anywhere else for less.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 10, 2008
13318 posts
24567 upvotes
Avenger wrote: They're expensive at Dollarama. Buy them at Amazon, Walmart, Canadian Tire or pretty much anywhere else for less.
2 things that evaded inflation , Hot Wheels and Jell-O
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6929 upvotes
The NORTH
stephroll wrote: 2 things that evaded inflation , Hot Wheels and Jell-O
And the Costco hot dog/pop combo.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 14, 2009
2336 posts
1436 upvotes
GTA
Sorry all, im new to this Hot Wheels game. Seemed like a good price to me and there was alot of choice.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1617 posts
404 upvotes
Kazushi wrote: Also, anyone seen out west? I know Dollarama stocks a lot of different items east/west.
Yep I was surprised to see rows and rows of them down the toy isle in Surrey
Member
Mar 2, 2016
421 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto
$1.25 at RCSS
Public Mobile|Fido|Tangerine|EQ|AMEX|Plastiq|Paytm|eBates|TopCashBack|Mr. Rebates|Great Canadian Rebates|RocketMiles
BRIM|AwardWallet|Skiplagged|uber|Lyft|airBNB|uberEats|DoorDash|Skip the Dishes|Foodora|Ritual
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
1613 posts
958 upvotes
Never had hot wheels toys growing up.
The most experience Ive ever had with them was watching the Hot wheels movie where they needed break the sound barrier for some reason

Surprised to see they are still a thing.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 12, 2006
556 posts
669 upvotes
Avenger wrote: They're expensive at Dollarama. Buy them at Amazon, Walmart, Canadian Tire or pretty much anywhere else for less.
Amazon is a crap shoot, 99% damaged cards unless you're buying a sealed box of something. Walmart is alright, Canadian Tire usually gets 1 box per YEAR in the West, not sure about elsewhere.
prod wrote: We always see the rectangular basic cars, I think $1.50 is regular price there.
My son always points them out and tells me his favorites.
Then I tell him mine, but that we cant get them because we already have hundreds at home. Its hard to be the responsible "adult."
I'm just under 2000 various cars at this point (including dupes though). I looked back whilst cleaning the other day and thought to myself, that's gotta be $5000 of cars. But hey, if it keeps me sane and gets me excited to do the groceries, I'm all for it.
stephroll wrote:
2 things that evaded inflation , Hot Wheels and Jell-O
I'm sure they make 500% profit on these things since moving to Malaysia. That and their premiums are where they make their bucks that retail for $6.99+
Akizuki wrote: Sorry all, im new to this Hot Wheels game. Seemed like a good price to me and there was alot of choice.
No worries at all, if you're interesting in collecting- I suggest hwtreasure as a good resource for info on treasure hunts/$THs
Squeeky wrote: Yep I was surprised to see rows and rows of them down the toy isle in Surrey
There's usually tons of mainlines at Dollarama but they're all garbage cars. The "treasure hunters" (read: scalpers) out west/gvrd are crazy. They buy up anything remotely worth anything (read: real production cars/JDM cars)- and flip it for 2-3x on FB Marketplace (even for $3 on a $1.50 car). I was so used to the market being scarce out this way that when I even remotely leave town I check as there's better chances to get even common ones.

I get there's people who collect aggressively or maybe for trade bait, but they openly buy 20 of the same car or have hookups inside the grocery store/dollar store who give them first dibs. There's also the super treasures which are on average worth $25-30 on the low end. I don't even bother collecting in Richmond anymore because I've seen these old ladies take one car out, take a pic, send it to someone who knows the value and keep on digging like it's their day job to make $1.50/car.

But that's even the worst of it. The scalpers even look down further on a subset of "collectors" that rip open packages, slot in a crappy car, and seal it back up for refund.

The hobby is going down the drain, and it's sad because when I started it was the thrill of the hunt- not competing against people who have all day doing this.

/rant
Penalty Box
Nov 15, 2020
1246 posts
2414 upvotes
Aren't hot wheels always $1.50 at Walmart?? Ahhh I remember the glory days when they were only $1 sighhhh
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
12066 posts
4372 upvotes
Toronto
Everywhere is selling at 1.50 for the regular hotwheels.
Walmart is selling at 1.37 and RCSS sell even lower (not sure as I have no RCSS near by)

The good one are swiped out quick once they are put on the rack, the people will buy all of them and resell them on Kijijij or FB marketplace for $5 each.

Premium are 6.99, some are 5.99, and again, those good one are usually bought in no time and got resell for $15 each.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
12066 posts
4372 upvotes
Toronto
Kazushi wrote:
There's usually tons of mainlines at Dollarama but they're all garbage cars. The "treasure hunters" (read: scalpers) out west/gvrd are crazy. They buy up anything remotely worth anything (read: real production cars/JDM cars)- and flip it for 2-3x on FB Marketplace (even for $3 on a $1.50 car). I was so used to the market being scarce out this way that when I even remotely leave town I check as there's better chances to get even common ones.

I get there's people who collect aggressively or maybe for trade bait, but they openly buy 20 of the same car or have hookups inside the grocery store/dollar store who give them first dibs. There's also the super treasures which are on average worth $25-30 on the low end. I don't even bother collecting in Richmond anymore because I've seen these old ladies take one car out, take a pic, send it to someone who knows the value and keep on digging like it's their day job to make $1.50/car.

But that's even the worst of it. The scalpers even look down further on a subset of "collectors" that rip open packages, slot in a crappy car, and seal it back up for refund.

The hobby is going down the drain, and it's sad because when I started it was the thrill of the hunt- not competing against people who have all day doing this.

/rant
Agree, it is sad for people swipe 10 of them and then resell to make some quick money and leave nothing to others.
$3 is consider generous. I've see a few that is $5 firm! when everyone know the cost is $1,5+tax

I start collecting last year during pandemic, sometimes I buy 1 more of the same kind just so I can trade for the one that I don't have, but it is hard to find those good Hotwheels anymore since people are buying them all.

STH are even more expensive, they are up til $50-70....the nice JDM can goes to $100.

It is crazy for a 1:64 diecast to goes to $100 a piece, now I shift to collect some nice 1:24 or 1:18 instead.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
12066 posts
4372 upvotes
Toronto
Akizuki wrote: Sorry all, im new to this Hot Wheels game. Seemed like a good price to me and there was alot of choice.
You were very lucky to find those,
Unless they just open a new box and put on the rack, otherwise you won't see them hanging on the rack for those good ones like those 3 you have,.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Member
Jul 22, 2010
389 posts
21 upvotes
Markham
kr0zet wrote: This post makes me feel so old... I remember buying these for like a dollar.
dollar? when i was a kid it was like 50 cents LOL
Member
Jul 22, 2010
389 posts
21 upvotes
Markham
Akizuki wrote: Was at Dollarama trying to buy some Dixie cups and saw lots of Hot wheels for $1.50.

This was the Heartland location. Saw a couple Zupras, Porsches, HKS Honda, Mazda RX7 FC, ect...
been trying to find the supra and gt2, but no luck in my area.. they get wiped out fast

Top