• Aug 15th, 2019 11:33 pm
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
1810 posts
962 upvotes
Fredericton
berklon wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 9:38 am
What's generally the life expectancy for typical LED strips?

Mine's on whenever my TV is on (day or night) and I know it sucks an extremely small amount of power - so I'm not concerned about that... but do these things last a while? A few years at 3 or 4 hours of on-time a day?
From the FAQs here:

How Long do LEDs Last?

Many people ask how long do LEDs last. Under ideal conditions LEDs are rated for 50,000 hours. Thats about six years of continuous use. Of course in an under cabinet or other home lighting installations, it can be longer.

One thing to note is that this rating is whats considered a half life. So after this amount of time, they will dimm but not turn off completely. Again, these ratings are under ideal conditions. If the LEDs are exposed to harsh conditions or are run hot (more than 12 volts DC) then lifespan can change.
Nov 10, 2005
258 posts
116 upvotes
smuPoker wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 9:42 am
From the FAQs here:

How Long do LEDs Last?

Many people ask how long do LEDs last. Under ideal conditions LEDs are rated for 50,000 hours. Thats about six years of continuous use. Of course in an under cabinet or other home lighting installations, it can be longer.

One thing to note is that this rating is whats considered a half life. So after this amount of time, they will dimm but not turn off completely. Again, these ratings are under ideal conditions. If the LEDs are exposed to harsh conditions or are run hot (more than 12 volts DC) then lifespan can change.
Thanks... 50k hours is a very long time. At roughly 4 hours a day of usage - I'll change my TV, setup, etc. long before this thing dies out. And it's only $4 to begin with.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
2497 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
Also looking for more of these in Toronto/Mississauga area.
If anyone has some they won't use - I would pick them up for $5 each, send me a message!
Nov 11, 2013
356 posts
286 upvotes
Calgary
Anyone spot any in Calgary? Looking for two
Oct 24, 2013
509 posts
120 upvotes
Ontario
Well, it seems that they are all gone everywhere.

To me the product of the year in the Dollarama portfolio.
Jan 23, 2018
244 posts
100 upvotes
GTA
stak74 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 12:54 am
Well, it seems that they are all gone everywhere.

To me the product of the year in the Dollarama portfolio.
What about TF2????
Zoomer 4 gb for 36$ 😃
Jan 7, 2014
801 posts
229 upvotes
calgary
i placed this on my smart socket, using alexa
the usb cable is just short, whats the best way to extend it?
Dec 17, 2015
84 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
blitz23 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 1:41 am
i placed this on my smart socket, using alexa
the usb cable is just short, whats the best way to extend it?
Buy a USB extension cable?
Jan 21, 2017
180 posts
137 upvotes
I have to say that I'm baffled as to the traction this product is getting. For the use many on here are buying this LED strip for, I had posted a much better product for relatively the same price and it barely got noticed.

At the time, it was on sale for an unbelievable price of $25.49 for a 16' multi-colored LED strip. What makes it so much better then this Dollarama one, aside from selecting any color you want (or multi-color if you prefer) is that you can also select various scenic patterns or have the lights dance to the beat or sound it picks up. The other cool feature is that while it works with the included control box, you can have additional controls if you use the app on your phone (Bluetooth) to set the brightness and timer just to name a few of the options.

I understand not everyone needs all these features but at a similar cost per footage, and many are buying several pack of the Dollarama one, it just seems like a no brainer to have gone with the one that offers more bang for your buck. All for not now anyways since the deal on Amazon is dead. **End of Rant**
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
3830 posts
1763 upvotes
Vancouver
Spotted 3 at the Village Mall location in St. John's. They're in the aisle with the other electronics, etc.

Ron.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11746 posts
5820 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Lukus2017 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 12:00 pm
I have to say that I'm baffled as to the traction this product is getting. For the use many on here are buying this LED strip for, I had posted a much better product for relatively the same price and it barely got noticed.

At the time, it was on sale for an unbelievable price of $25.49 for a 16' multi-colored LED strip. What makes it so much better then this Dollarama one, aside from selecting any color you want (or multi-color if you prefer) is that you can also select various scenic patterns or have the lights dance to the beat or sound it picks up. The other cool feature is that while it works with the included control box, you can have additional controls if you use the app on your phone (Bluetooth) to set the brightness and timer just to name a few of the options.

I understand not everyone needs all these features but at a similar cost per footage, and many are buying several pack of the Dollarama one, it just seems like a no brainer to have gone with the one that offers more bang for your buck. All for not now anyways since the deal on Amazon is dead. **End of Rant**
I gave you an Up in the other thread, but it’s because price wins here. These $4 ones are fine for desktop monitors and 2 of them is good enough for most TV’s. Doesn’t need to be super bright back there. I have pricier old Costco ones that round the perimeter of our big flatscreens, I’d be ok with less light. My 27” iMac has 2 strips top/bottom from eBay and it’s too bright at max.
Jan 21, 2017
180 posts
137 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Jul 20th, 2019 1:00 pm
I gave you an Up in the other thread, but it’s because price wins here. These $4 ones are fine for desktop monitors and 2 of them is good enough for most TV’s. Doesn’t need to be super bright back there. I have pricier old Costco ones that round the perimeter of our big flatscreens, I’d be ok with less light. My 27” iMac has 2 strips top/bottom from eBay and it’s too bright at max.
Thanks for the upvote even though I don't really pay attention to them. While it's true that bottom price is what reigns on RFD, any good consumer would recognize a better buy when they see one. If you just need one or two strips for lighting purposes, then you're right, the Dollarama one should do just fine. For a large TV or to add ambiance or effect to a room, then the Amazon one is the way to go hands down.