Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8332 posts
2818 upvotes
Toronto
chocobodavid wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 4:47 am
Slice bread in the rain is gross
if you're trying slice bread with the umbrella, in the rain or not, you're using it wrong.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16617 posts
4290 upvotes
Toronto
Used it on Monday and seems good. Can't go wrong for $4.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6733 posts
2503 upvotes
Calgary
Was just at the Calgary Royal Oat Dollarama and saw at least 10 of these. We seldom use umbrellas but bought one for our boy who walks to school.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3595 posts
741 upvotes
They have these at the Finch and Bathurst location, it's at the line up, right before the cashiers. There were about 15 of them yesterday located right above the pop fridge.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated December 2018
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1215 posts
276 upvotes
dcevinnie wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 10:38 am
Quite a few left at 16th and Markham (9275 Markham Rd, Markham, ON L6E 1A1).
Thanks, got 2. There were still 8 when I left at around 4:30.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7557 posts
1446 upvotes
Quick out of the box review but first, saw at multiple locations in NW Calgary so shouldn't be too hard to find.

Pros - Poly fabric is thick and heavy, so is the metal centre shaft, seems pretty sturdy on those. Good size handle with an up and down button, makes it open and close with ease. Comes with a strap on the handle and a carrying bag.

Cons - Weight is on the heavy side (356g), was thinking it was the box at first but it didn't seem any lighter once out of the box, guess it is probably from the heavier poly and metal mostly. It also measures pretty long (12") for a compact umbrella when closed, may not fit some smaller purses or day pack for travelling. Guessing they tried to save some of that weight & cost off the umbrella with all plastic hinges , edge ribs and tips so not sure if they are as durable as metal. Carrying bag has a very tight fit and no holder loop to attach to anything so could be lost in no time.

Anyway, all in all the umbrella seems to be much better made than the $3 equivalent at the same store and IMHO, $4 is worth it since similar options may be ∼$10+ elsewhere. It is a good backup in the car or at home but I would not suggest carrying it daily for just in case since there are lighter and more compact alternatives available.
Last edited by hdom on Oct 31st, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Oct 18, 2015
143 posts
65 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rfdslacker wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 11:07 pm
They had about a half dozen at the SW Marine Dr store (near Granville) on Friday. Not sure about the stock now.
Thanks for the heads up! For those wondering though, it's all gone as of 3:30pm today (when I checked)
Aug 22, 2009
205 posts
98 upvotes
hellohi wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 5:28 pm
this is just as good as the amazon umbrella. Lots left at carlingwood mall.
Actually picked up the last one there. Thanks OP
Jul 1, 2018
29 posts
247 upvotes
Cambridge SmartCenters had 15+ tonight, front of Aisle 3 on the lowest shelf. They may be obscured by rain ponchos people had opened and left laying around.
Oct 24, 2018
9 posts
2 upvotes
Quarry park in calgary is fully stocked. Located on the bottom shelf in the clothing isle.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
4202 posts
873 upvotes
GTEH!
ovexi wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 7:59 pm
there are plenty in stock at Argentia in Mississauga. Honestly, I don't see what's so special about this. It doesn't seem very sturdy. But for $4 it's a good throwaway
Thanks for confirming stock. Picked up a few. About 6 left at this location
😎
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
10997 posts
2571 upvotes
DragonRider wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 8:08 pm
These have been selling at crazy prices when it first came out years ago. Surprised it ends up in Dollarama so soon. Was raining in Toronto so I got to try it first hand. Pretty cool to be able to open and close the umbrella from a rather narrow gap after opening the car door. Non-vehicle owners won't be able to appreciate this though.
I picked one up, but haven't used it yet. I have had umbrellas before that have the push button, spring up and open on their own, so I am not sure what is so unique about this one. But closing? Does it have a motor in it, that fold the splines and retracts the umbrella?
Also, for the split second that one steps into or out of their car, they can't bear some rain... I picked it up merely because I needed an umbrella to keep in the car, but I'll have to play with the up and down feature to understand the appeal I guess.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25181 posts
3289 upvotes
Hamilton
Perfect umbrella weather today
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM