Oct 31, 2009
3318 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto

[Dollarama] Pure Protein Bars Plus Fibre - $4 for box of 4 - Dollarama

Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
Just saw these the other day at Dollarama and they sell for $10 at Walmart and Amazon.

They are not the greatest tasting bars but work for me when in a pinch for one and the price is good.

Expiry date on the boxes I got are Sept/20.
Images
  • 20200303_174453.jpg
59 replies
Sep 17, 2018
244 posts
226 upvotes
Seems like a good deal to me, I will pick up one of each flavor tonight, if they're good I'll be in for a half dozen or more.
Dec 25, 2006
510 posts
394 upvotes
Ottawa
You can get the regular Pure Protein bars at Costco for usually around $14.99 on sale for 18. They actually taste pretty good for a protein bar.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3318 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
marksmithy69 wrote: You can get the regular Pure Protein bars at Costco for usually around $14.99 on sale for 18. They actually taste pretty good for a protein bar.
yes they are good as well but have a higher carb count if you are into that kind of thing.

These ones are more like the Kirkland brand ones and Quest bars as far as net carbs go.
Feb 10, 2014
34 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
dchabby wrote: Kirkland brand ones
These make me gassy.
its the inulin, also found in other supplements read the the ingredients
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3318 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
vict0rhhh wrote: These make me gassy.
its the inulin, also found in other supplements read the the ingredients
you, me and a lot of other people !

I am hoping they make a comeback soon with a new recipe.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6480 posts
2349 upvotes
Montreal
marksmithy69 wrote: You can get the regular Pure Protein bars at Costco for usually around $14.99 on sale for 18. They actually taste pretty good for a protein bar.
It's not the same bar.
Jan 9, 2014
962 posts
779 upvotes
Edmonton
If you're a male, I'd avoid these bars. Soy protein increases estrogen levels and leads to the wrong kind of gains =P
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
4419 posts
2984 upvotes
Toronto and London
AnujS699 wrote: If you're a male, I'd avoid these bars. Soy protein increases estrogen levels and leads to the wrong kind of gains =P
Gains in emotional intelligence?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6480 posts
2349 upvotes
Montreal
AnujS699 wrote: If you're a male, I'd avoid these bars. Soy protein increases estrogen levels and leads to the wrong kind of gains =P
The protein sources for these bars are Milk Protein and Whey.
Regardless, it would take huge amount of soy to see any negative effect in males.
Dec 17, 2018
239 posts
215 upvotes
Ottawa
As a rule I wouldn't purchase food products at Dollarama. There's a reason that it isn't at a regular store at a regular price. It would seem often to have "fallen off the back of a truck", perhaps a missed or failed inspection and an agreement with major retailers not to sell.

I'm all about a good deal (that doesn't make me gassy) but food from the dollar store is a hard pass for me.
Jan 9, 2014
962 posts
779 upvotes
Edmonton
Good catch. It's the other pure protein bars that have soy protein.

This is actually a really good deal. These for 8$/box at Walmart when on sale, $10 regular price (box of 4)

And they're actually quite delicious.

I'd be all over these if the tapioca fiber in there was keto friendly, they're hella good
Jan 20, 2019
275 posts
301 upvotes
snazarella wrote: As a rule I wouldn't purchase food products at Dollarama. There's a reason that it isn't at a regular store at a regular price. It would seem often to have "fallen off the back of a truck", perhaps a missed or failed inspection and an agreement with major retailers not to sell.

I'm all about a good deal (that doesn't make me gassy) but food from the dollar store is a hard pass for me.
Orrrrrr.... It could be that Dollarama has negotiated a lower wholesale price with manufacturers in order to keep their prices low. On products that have a ridiculously high markup elsewhere. And the manufacturers like it because they increase their exposure to a broader customer base.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14712 posts
2709 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Madevilz wrote: The protein sources for these bars are Milk Protein and Whey.
Regardless, it would take huge amount of soy to see any negative effect in males.
This has whey. But yes, daily Soy protein bar has had negligible but direct impact to male testosterone. Proven by studies. Just google. I had the same concern with Clif Builder Bars. The consensu was that dont have more than one bar a day.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6480 posts
2349 upvotes
Montreal
weedb0y wrote: This has whey. But yes, daily Soy protein bar has had negligible but direct impact to male testosterone. Proven by studies. Just google. I had the same concern with Clif Builder Bars. The consensu was that dont have more than one bar a day.
Again, it would take a lot of soy to negatively impact men's testosterone level.
Read: https://examine.com/nutrition/is-soy-good-or-bad/