Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
For those who have mounted TVs!
Images
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 9.35.22 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 9.35.30 PM.png
Zoomer 4gb + 400min + ultd text $36/mo
Public Mobile $90/90 days 6GB + unltd pro talk + ultd text (Grandfathered)
*PENDING* Fido Winback $50/mo 15gb ultd talk/text
35 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4413 posts
988 upvotes
Wat
Not sure why this would be needed. Isn't all remotes RF these days? Looks ugly to put it on the tv?
Oct 24, 2016
103 posts
74 upvotes
I have my Roku velcro attached to the back of the TV. Roku remote does not require a line of site to work, it's through your wifi.
Feb 2, 2006
437 posts
233 upvotes
But look how happy they are they with it mounted on top of the TV
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1411 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
Scottisonswardrobe wrote: I have my Roku velcro attached to the back of the TV. Roku remote does not require a line of site to work, it's through your wifi.
Not all the models are WiFi. I have a newer model that is IR.
Nov 8, 2016
129 posts
92 upvotes
I don't need this and yet I'm gonna comment on this thread because the model I have at home is the only model in the world and other people don't have other models because I have a different model which doesn't require this item to be bought so why would other people that have other models need this is beyond me.
Why buy wired headphones isn't it all Bluetooth nowadays?
Why buy s jerry can isn't it all Ev out there?
Feb 27, 2008
234 posts
96 upvotes
calgary
Isn’t Roku dead now ... since they blocked IPTV servers.

I love my firecube TV. All voice and IPTV combo. Saving lots of money on cable :)
Nov 30, 2013
142 posts
131 upvotes
NB
findmedeals2 wrote: ... since they blocked IPTV servers.
They did ?

Maybe this would be good for those who still have a wii ? It would be a good place for the sensor.
I AM NOT A BOOMER, but I wish i was.
Feb 14, 2006
295 posts
224 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
Repurposed Kinect stand from a decade ago.
Aug 30, 2018
137 posts
86 upvotes
Balance a sound bar on top to hide some wires easily?
I think so!
Oct 10, 2014
250 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto, ON
findmedeals2 wrote: Isn’t Roku dead now ... since they blocked IPTV servers.

I love my firecube TV. All voice and IPTV combo. Saving lots of money on cable :)
IPTV isn’t the only reason people may want a smart box for their tv.
Personally use a box to connect to Plex, and YouTube (for casting from phone).

Can’t assume everyone is using smart TVs everywhere in their homes either (I have 2 of 4 TVs that are smart, the others need help from an internet-enabled “box”).
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3980 posts
3168 upvotes
Toronto
I rigged up something cumbersome for the centre channel speaker in my home theatre system, but I could have used this (after taking off the side fins since my speaker is bigger than a smart box).
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2238 posts
2656 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Turge wrote: But look how happy they are they with it mounted on top of the TV
I don't know, they're watching that 32" inch from like 2 feet away, bad for the eyes.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2204 posts
2114 upvotes
Vancouver
Some older Roku remotes use Bluetooth, more recent ones use direct WiFi (not your home WiFi - the remote does not appear on your LAN). But they accept IR as well, which is good if you have a Harmony remote or other universal remote.

Roku is not the box for you if you want to support anything unofficial like IPTV. The business model for Roku is not selling you the box, it's getting a cut of subscription fees for paid services. They use a proprietary OS that's tightly locked down, apps can only be loaded through their app store, and they're quick to move against any apps that attempt to bypass their roadblocks (such as stream players that can accept user-supplied urls or playlists). Also support for Canadian users is not very good. But they do support a Plex client, so it's not a totally closed system.

But this mount could be used for any small box using IR remote control, not just Roku. My question is, how does it attach to the TV? Does it just hook loosely over the front, or is that a sticky pad I see in the only view of the back? I don't think it would be hard to fabricate your own custom version, although with this selling for $4 it's probably not worth doing that.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
17033 posts
4734 upvotes
Roku and Amazon control a huge amount of U.S. streaming market:

https://www.multichannel.com/news/roku- ... smp-market

I haven't used any of my Roku's in a few years but they were easy to use, which is why so many of them were sold. The Roku OS is also in a lot of Smart TVs these days, further increasing their market share...