1618 posts
914 upvotes

[Dollarama] Sharper Image 8" Ceramic Frypan $4.00

Price:
$4
Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
This is a hot enough deal that I thought it needed it's own thread. (sorry).

8" Sharper Image White ceramic Frying Pan - $4 - Found at the Stratford, Ontario location by Sobeys.

Hey it's not a Henckels for $50+ but for $4 it is a no brainer, unless I am missing something...

What dancing banana ?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1751 posts
9389 upvotes
Definitely a good deal for a fry pan of that size and make, but I can't help but get a little sad at how companies pump out mass quantities of cheap products that absolutely won't last. This pan will probably work great for several months of medium usage, at which point it'll lose it's non stick and become too much of a hassle to clean & get thrown out.

Not detracting from the deal, it's still good value - I guess I'm just getting older and realizing I'd rather pay a bit more for something I know I'll get more use out of, and contribute less to this "cheap dispoable everything" ecosystem.

No judgement to those who grab these though!
Penalty Box
Apr 14, 2019
805 posts
717 upvotes
Leverage wrote: Definitely a good deal for a fry pan of that size and make, but I can't help but get a little sad at how companies pump out mass quantities of cheap products that absolutely won't last. This pan will probably work great for several months of medium usage, at which point it'll lose it's non stick and become too much of a hassle to clean & get thrown out.

Not detracting from the deal, it's still good value - I guess I'm just getting older and realizing I'd rather pay a bit more for something I know I'll get more use out of, and contribute less to this "cheap dispoable everything" ecosystem.

No judgement to those who grab these though!
You're basing your "judgment" on a "probably", how come the probably is never a positive probability, but a negative one? Food for thought.
$tay home, $ave lives, while the government rape$ the economy on behalf of billionaire$. It’$ not the principle, it’$ the MONEY!
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1751 posts
9389 upvotes
rcnrcnrcn wrote: You're basing your "judgment" on a "probably", how come the probably is never a positive probability, but a negative one? Food for thought.
Sure, but there's a very low chance this pan would have never ended up at Dollarama at this price point if it was a really high quality product.

Heck, I'm sure it'll even compete with some of the bottom of the barrel pans at Canadian Tire that go for $9.99, and for that it's a great value - I'm saying the chances of getting more than a few month's use out of it are very, very slim. But you're right that I haven't tried this pan, and maybe for some miraculous reason, Sharper Image sourced an incredible manufacturer whose other pans typically retail for $100+ and this one just ended up at Dollarama for $4. Maybe.
Mar 4, 2007
662 posts
619 upvotes
Halifax
Leverage wrote: Sure, but there's a very low chance this pan would have never ended up at Dollarama at this price point if it was a really high quality product.

Heck, I'm sure it'll even compete with some of the bottom of the barrel pans at Canadian Tire that go for $9.99, and for that it's a great value - I'm saying the chances of getting more than a few month's use out of it are very, very slim. But you're right that I haven't tried this pan, and maybe for some miraculous reason, Sharper Image sourced an incredible manufacturer whose other pans typically retail for $100+ and this one just ended up at Dollarama for $4. Maybe.
It might be an excellent quality frying pan. Like Winners, Dollarama can be a dumping ground for product that just didnt sell. People associate sharper image with electronics and gadgets, not frying pans. Im sure the consumer reaction was very MEH and they wanted to unload these to write them off and then move on to the next item they will no doubt make.
Penalty Box
Apr 14, 2019
805 posts
717 upvotes
cheruboo wrote: It might be an excellent quality frying pan. Like Winners, Dollarama can be a dumping ground for product that just didnt sell. People associate sharper image with electronics and gadgets, not frying pans. Im sure the consumer reaction was very MEH and they wanted to unload these to write them off and then move on to the next item they will no doubt make.
Yes absolutely, there are many reasons why products are sold at the Dollarama, low quality is not always the issue, if it was, then why shop there in the first place? More food for thought. I bought some four dollar Bluetooth adapters and they work like a charm, so I went back and bought more, just in case,
$tay home, $ave lives, while the government rape$ the economy on behalf of billionaire$. It’$ not the principle, it’$ the MONEY!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2473 posts
1691 upvotes
Since it doesn't say otherwise, I assume the likelyhood of the coating being PTFE is 100%?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1487 posts
580 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Since it doesn't say otherwise, I assume the likelyhood of the coating being PTFE is 100%?
It being ceramic, id wager against there being PTFE... But to be honest, at the price point you really would be better off with the PTFE teflon based stuff. The cheap ceramics dont last long at all(they develop microcracks, which is where food will stick).
If you want non-stick and are worried about toxins, learn to love cast iron or import a carbon steel pan, and season both very well. Otherwise, buy a ptfe and never cook at a temp above medium on your stove, and maybe get a IR thermometer to get a better idea of where you pan is(If there's PTFE based non-stick, NEVER let it get above 400F...)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
Curiosity wrote: unless I am missing something...
Probably the handle and most of the coating in a few months.

Leverage wrote: This pan will probably work great for several months of medium usage, at which point it'll lose it's non stick and become too much of a hassle to clean & get thrown out.
Now... I'm not 100% up to date on my non stick technology nowadays, but apparently even the newest ones suck in terms of longevity.
Non sticks were always disposable because there isn't a coating out there that stands the test of time, even with babying.
rcnrcnrcn wrote: You're basing your "judgment" on a "probably", how come the probably is never a positive probability, but a negative one? Food for thought.
Not OP, but I "probably" a lot of positive things.
rcnrcnrcn wrote: low quality is not always the issue
Now... I don't buy much at Dollarama probably (heh) compared to others, but I'm not sure there's anything there that I've ever purchased ever that I would consider high quality.
Medium quality? Sure.
Low quality? 100%.
High quality? Not once.
if it was, then why shop there in the first place?
Price. Sometimes.
I bought some four dollar Bluetooth adapters and they work like a charm, so I went back and bought more, just in case,
You just answered your own question. If it was high quality, why buy more?
Penalty Box
Apr 14, 2019
805 posts
717 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Probably the handle and most of the coating in a few months.

Now... I'm not 100% up to date on my non stick technology nowadays, but apparently even the newest ones suck in terms of longevity.
Non sticks were always disposable because there isn't a coating out there that stands the test of time, even with babying.

Not OP, but I "probably" a lot of positive things.

Now... I don't buy much at Dollarama probably (heh) compared to others, but I'm not sure there's anything there that I've ever purchased ever that I would consider high quality.
Medium quality? Sure.
Low quality? 100%.
High quality? Not once.

Price. Sometimes.

You just answered your own question. If it was high quality, why buy more?
Because it’s high quality and great value. You’re telling me the ringolos at the dollar store are not high quality?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9982 posts
831 upvotes
Toronto
Nice perfect for camping trips and parks and beaches. Weekend use.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
rcnrcnrcn wrote: Because it’s high quality and great value. You’re telling me the ringolos at the dollar store are not high quality?
What's a ringolos?
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2016
1436 posts
4925 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
death_hawk wrote: What's a ringolos?
Only best snack ever....
Images
  • upload.png
What's in your wallet?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
Spawk1028 wrote: Only best snack ever....
Not that I've ever looked but I don't think I've ever seen those.