Expired Hot Deals

[Dollarama] Starlink TOY for nintendo switch $4 (game not included)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2021 1:36 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1681 posts
910 upvotes
Why would someone steal this game of all games (a kids game) but not use the Toys to Life feature? It's much more plausible there was some issue at the factory as an article reported.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5014 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
Diafel wrote: Why would someone steal this game of all games (a kids game) but not use the Toys to Life feature? It's much more plausible there was some issue at the factory as an article reported.
Ya, while I have no doubt theft happens, it's highly improbable it happened en masse at the consumer level.
Jul 15, 2009
205 posts
200 upvotes
Is there a sticker or any sign that there's no game in there? Seems misleading.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
4212 posts
4019 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
It wasn't theft lol. There's no chance it occurred at that scale cross-country in the US from a single retailer and then the actual physical copies never showed back up anywhere.

The most likely explanation seems to be that reviewers were sent packages containing only the toys/accessories and then were given codes to download the game. Either too many of these were produced and they were accidentally shipped off to Best Buy, or a production run intended for Best Buy was messed up and packaged like they were review copies.

A couple months after release people reported the same issue from NewEgg.

Starting to look like these have been circulating for awhile.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2017
1074 posts
2388 upvotes
Toronto
Lmao imagine whoever hoarded this to resell after this post.

Hold that eternal L.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1067 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto, ON
junglemage666 wrote: Jesus people, it's been $9.99 for a long time at multiple stores for all 3 versions of the game with toy. For $5.99 less, without the actual game, it's now a hot deal? Lol

Also, these are obviously returns made by people that took the game out of the box first and resealed it. I remember we bought like 10 games and each box had a missing game we kept having to exchange for another box til we finally got one with the game inside. So these are technically used/open box

Also, yes best buy had a bunch with missing games,. It it turned out it was people stealing them. My god brother worked on this game, it wasn't an issue of the games not being put inside, it was theft
Sorry, have to ask, what is a "god brother" - a godfather who is also your brother?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
2386 posts
2518 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
georgep wrote: Sorry, have to ask, what is a "god brother" - a godfather who is also your brother?
Godparents son
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10637 posts
4997 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: I still haven't opened Titanfall 2 which I bought over 2 years ago at Dollarama! :lol: It's good to see them get a new game in though.
Same here bought 2 copies for myself and son but both sit unopened.

Also i purchased this starlink for switch and xbox with game for 9,99 i think it was best buy in the summer.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
Buy first think later!
Nov 14, 2018
82 posts
60 upvotes
any luck contacting ubisoft? will they provide a dlc code? since the packaging is misleading,?
Dec 16, 2015
224 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Here for the lolz.

BTW, titanfall 2 turned out to be a pretty awesome game (for those who didn’t play it yet). Couldn’t believe it was $4 - I almost felt guilty for paying so little.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2947 posts
1117 upvotes
Lethbridge
ellisc wrote: checked out one dollorama in Edmonton- nothing here. thanks OP anyways. I'm wondering if the game is worth it at the 15 dollar sale price at best buy? reviews look ok for it.
Worth it in my opinion.

I bought it when they first went on clearance for $20 in late 2019 and picked up all the ships and a couple guns of each type plus the 2 figures that unlock quests when TRU had their BOGO clearance after Christmas that year since my son actually liked playing it.

Its very repetitive, but the little bit I've played, it was fun. The Switch version also has its own little Starfox mission which was pretty cool.

I think you can get the digital deluxe edition for pretty cheap though and you don't have to deal with the toy swapping mechanic.

I legit want these to come out west, I want the Arwing model for my desk at work!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2251 posts
1172 upvotes
So I don't get this, doesn't the game version come with the same toys? Or are these different, or do they unlock anything new?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1005 posts
270 upvotes
Montreal
TomRFD wrote: I still haven't opened Titanfall 2 which I bought over 2 years ago at Dollarama! :lol: It's good to see them get a new game in though.
PLAY IT it's one of the best single player campaigns in an FPS
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
Mar 26, 2008
208 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
rickodemilo wrote: Is there a sticker or any sign that there's no game in there? Seems misleading.
Nope, no signs/stickers saying no game. I opened a ticket with Ubi, said they were aware of an issue, and would need to escalate. Haven't heard any further yet.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1061 posts
417 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
sgmtl wrote: PLAY IT it's one of the best single player campaigns in an FPS
This! I finished the game -- missions are super fun and they did a great job allowing you to play as man or machine depending on the level.
Beware the RFD Effect
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14799 posts
4266 upvotes
Yeah Titanfall 2 is great. Its lore ties in with Apex Legends too (same developer).
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Sep 22, 2020
175 posts
217 upvotes
georgep wrote: Sorry, have to ask, what is a "god brother" - a godfather who is also your brother?
Like a brother from another mother living in da hood. It’s a thing white folks don’t understand, you feel me homie?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14615 posts
4739 upvotes
Montreal
It was a better deal for $1 at Walmart, as you not only saved $3, but you also got the game. And later on, I ended up getting a couple of the Switch versions for 2-cents laying on the shelf and took them through the self-checkout. Each of them had the game.

And you guys looking for "stolen game discs" don't get it, whenever Dollarama gets these, the cases are always missing the game portion and Dollarama sells it as a "toy". No idea why, or if it's the supplier or Dollarama doing it, but that's exactly what happened with Skylanders and Disney Infinity games, they came with just the figures and the games were removed prior to sale.
My last and final digital game I purchased at PSN from those Sony Devils was on November 22, 2020 - Ban that Sorny!
Jul 23, 2011
872 posts
670 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Bought one today @ Dollarama in Toronto. Predictably, no game in the box.

Opened a case file with Ubisoft, hoping they'd avoid hassling me and give the missing code I'm entitled to, but instead got this reply:

"Thank you for contacting Ubisoft Support.

I am sorry to hear your game is missing! We have been made aware that a small amount of Starlink: Battle for Atlas Starter Packs have been shipped without a copy of the disc and/or cartridge included.

At this point in time, we would kindly advise you to contact your retailer for further support. They should be able to assist you in correcting the missing game.

In the case of the retailer refusing to exchange your game box or provide you with a copy of the game, please send us your proof of purchase, the response from the retailer, as well as a picture showing that the game is missing.

As soon as we have received this information we will forward your case for further investigation and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding!

If you have any further questions, please let us know.
"

That seems a lot of hassle to probably go nowhere. So I guess I'm stuck with a 4 dollar model of the Fox MCloud ship.

It's not the end of world, but it would be nice if Dollarama did a better job explaining to people that the games are missing. A lot of kids are going to end up unhappy with their parents' purchases.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

reddram