Shopping Discussion

Dollarama: time for company to update return/exchange?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2022 8:07 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
16896 posts
14492 upvotes
GTA, ON

Dollarama: time for company to update return/exchange?

Since the beginning of time Dollarama and other dollar stores have been no return policy, and I was cool with it - I've never had to return anything before.

I'm wondering though, since Dollarama has grown over the years to a larger retailer, carrying more products and carrying more items that are closer to $4 than the typical one $1, do you feel it's time they update their return policy, especially now that they've updated all their computer systems to scan UPCs and pretty much take all forms of payment?

This is more for general discussion.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
6046 posts
7447 upvotes
GTA
They would probably raise prices to cover the expenses incurred by allowing returns.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
16896 posts
14492 upvotes
GTA, ON
They are pretty much that already no longer really a dollar store. General name brand products there are not as cheap as some people think. They have items there specifically made/sized for them. If you look closely at some of their products, they tend to have less qty or weight found elsewhere. They even have an online presence now.

I'm just thinking that's all. Like I said, I've never had to return anything, this is just a general discussion.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9148 upvotes
The NORTH
I don't think they need to update their return policy, you know what you are getting walking into a FourDollarama... I'm not saying your buying junk but a $4 cordless mouse or USB C cable may not be of the best quality control. I buy craft supplies for the kids, books and colouring books, cleaning supplies... anything that might need to be returned if it malfunctions I avoid because I know I cannot return it anyway.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13028 posts
8270 upvotes
Markham
Dollarama has higher margin than Costco actually, so they could afford .

But if they are doing well and no one complain, they certainly don't feel they need.

The only way to change it is buy somewhere else and let them know the reason , but since dollarama is RFD favourite store, i have no hope
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
6046 posts
7447 upvotes
GTA
kr0zet wrote: I don't think they need to update their return policy, you know what you are getting walking into a FourDollarama... I'm not saying your buying junk but a $4 cordless mouse or USB C cable may not be of the best quality control. I buy craft supplies for the kids, books and colouring books, cleaning supplies... anything that might need to be returned if it malfunctions I avoid because I know I cannot return it anyway.
I was able to do an exchange on a defective item a few years ago. I called the store and they said that they would replace it no problem. I see that they have the same policy for online orders.

https://www.dollarama.com/en-CA/FAQ/Web ... ns-refunds
Dollarama has a “no exchange, no return” policy.

However, you may request a refund or an exchange if, upon receipt,

the products are defective;
the products are damaged;
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3161 posts
2812 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
chimaican wrote: do you feel it's time they update their return policy,
I think over the years I've received two refunds from Dollarama - both times because the product didn't perform as it should.

There was some pushback of course, but pointing out that the provincial consumer laws state that a refund must be offered if the item is not suited for its intended purpose gets things done. One time they even responded "our head office is in Toronto" (it was a BC location) and my reply was "that's irrelevant, you're in BC and doing business in BC, so BC laws apply..." and I got my $1.25 back. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes

I'm all for no refunds if someone changes their mind...but if you sell crap that falls apart the very first time you use it for what it's meant to be used for, you can't hide behind the 'no refunds' policy.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6838 posts
2613 upvotes
BC
smartie wrote: ........... but since dollarama is RFD favourite store, i have no hope
But is it really? I get the impression that RFDers are compulsive returners, and that Costco is their go-to store.

Staff at dollar stores seldom display the sort of customer service disposition that would make offering returns a viable proposition.
They just don't seem too happy in their work as it is.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
16896 posts
14492 upvotes
GTA, ON
macnut wrote: Staff at dollar stores seldom display the sort of customer service disposition that would make offering returns a viable proposition.
They just don't seem too happy in their work as it is.
You just described Wal-Mart. Winking Face
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2769 posts
1922 upvotes
Im ok with the exchange only

If Dollarama did this people will abuse the policy

And if you havent done this by now buy the stock. Returned 10% already in 2mos Slightly Smiling Face
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29039 posts
14588 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: A more generous return policy means Dollarama will become Dollarfiftyarama or Twodollararama. Ask yourself if that's what you want.
I'd kill for Twodollarama. It's currently Fourdollarama without a return policy.
With a return policy it'd probably be closer to Sevendollarama.
smartie wrote: Dollarama has higher margin than Costco actually, so they could afford .
Practically EVERY store has higher margins than Costco. Their main objective is to break even.
Their balance sheet basically says that their actual profit is effectively zero on everything they sell. Anything they do make goes to store operations and staffing.
All their actual profit comes from memberships. So as long as a store is making literally anything they have better margins than Costco.
The only way to change it is buy somewhere else and let them know the reason , but since dollarama is RFD favourite store, i have no hope
Yeah I don't really get the obsession either.
Dollarama sucks for A LOT of reasons. There's occasionally an okay to good deal there, but half of the stuff they sell is literal garbage. Another part where it's actually a name brand and decent quality there's a very low quantity of them for not much money but it works out to a huge per unit cost compared to somewhere else. Then there's the diamond in the rough where it's actually an okay thing for an okay price.
But any of these get killed pretty quick by their terrible policies like no return/exchange.

Oh and their house brand food is actually awful. Like inedible awful. I tried a couple of their chocolates once and damn near horked. How chocolate taste like rotten fish is beyond me.
tew wrote: Dollarama has a “no exchange, no return” policy.

However, you may request a refund or an exchange if, upon receipt,

the products are defective;
the products are damaged;
That's actually surprising. Obviously they don't post it anywhere in store but they do have a prominent NO REFUNDS sign.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20411 posts
8802 upvotes
Toronto
If the item is defective I haven't had problems exchanging the item for the same one.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3161 posts
2812 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Biscayne05 wrote: And if you havent done this by now buy the stock. Returned 10% already in 2mos Slightly Smiling Face
I bought the stock several years ago as part of my RSP package. When I looked this week, I'm at about 160% increase in value.

Of course my marijuana stock gamble has certainly not paid off. 🤪
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2015
172 posts
137 upvotes
Delta, BC
I bought a $4 item that was missing a part. Tried to exchange it but said they would only do it with receipt which I didn't have. Emailed head office and they sent me $10 gift card. Keep your receipts even when it says no refunds and no exchanges.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
9222 posts
2877 upvotes
London
If people stopped buying stuff there because of terrible return policies, they might consider it... but they aren't going to change anything if they don't see any problems on their bottom line.

You only need to look at Bell or Rogers or CrappyTire or a zilion other stores that abuse Canadian consumers and they still do beaucoup bizness. We seem to enjoy some sort of weird S&M retail experience.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13028 posts
8270 upvotes
Markham
Are there any other franchises or big names that have no return policy?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2971 posts
1619 upvotes
B.C.
tew wrote: I was able to do an exchange on a defective item a few years ago. I called the store and they said that they would replace it no problem. I see that they have the same policy for online orders.

https://www.dollarama.com/en-CA/FAQ/Web ... ns-refunds
Dollarama has a “no exchange, no return” policy.

However, you may request a refund or an exchange if, upon receipt,

the products are defective;
the products are damaged;

carmaster wrote: If the item is defective I haven't had problems exchanging the item for the same one.
Ontario has a consumer protection law that says that you have to exchange defective items. They don't have to advertise it though apparently. I guess you only get in trouble if you say no when someone asks.
kr0zet wrote: Or Canadian Tire.
Canadian Tire employees take joy in finding reasons to deny returns though. Everywhere else seems to NGAF. They check it over and over and over and over for the simplest things. Then make up new policies on the spot (like retuning an unopened tent for store credit?!?)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
6046 posts
7447 upvotes
GTA
lennyandcarl wrote: Ontario has a consumer protection law that says that you have to exchange defective items. They don't have to advertise it though apparently. I guess you only get in trouble if you say no when someone asks.



Canadian Tire employees take joy in finding reasons to deny returns though. Everywhere else seems to NGAF. They check it over and over and over and over for the simplest things. Then make up new policies on the spot (like retuning an unopened tent for store credit?!?)
So SDM should be refunding DOA/damage electronics instead of making people deal with the manufacturer.

Top