Shopping Discussion

Dollarama: time for company to update return/exchange?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2022 8:07 am
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17019 posts
12419 upvotes
Toronto
I shop at Dollarama but for basic things that I don't have concerns about longevity.

Examples:

Greeting cards, stationery for my son, lithium watch/light batteries, cheap beach/pool toys for trips, cat litter deodorizer and toys etc....things that are cheaper there than Walmart.

So for me, the "no return" policy doesn't affect me one bit.

Why people buy stuff there with an expectation of it lasting is beyond me. Electronics, tools etc.

Like the "Dollarama hidden gems thread".....it's mostly trash
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9195 upvotes
The NORTH
Swerny wrote: I shop at Dollarama but for basic things that I don't have concerns about longevity.

Examples:

Greeting cards, stationery for my son, lithium watch/light batteries, cheap beach/pool toys for trips, cat litter deodorizer and toys etc....things that are cheaper there than Walmart.

Why people buy stuff there with an expectation of it lasting is beyond me. Electronics, tools etc.

Agree with everything except batteries. I find the button cells that they sell are garbage and I can find better deals on Amazon.

You're also on point with the Dollarama gems threads. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2985 posts
1629 upvotes
B.C.
tew wrote: So SDM should be refunding DOA/damage electronics instead of making people deal with the manufacturer.
I think dealing with the manufacturer is fine. Dollarama stuff doesn't necessarily have a manufacturer to deal with because it was imported by dollarama or a surplus/grey market deal hence the only option is the in store exchange.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2985 posts
1629 upvotes
B.C.
Swerny wrote: I shop at Dollarama but for basic things that I don't have concerns about longevity.

Examples:

I don't even buy most of that stuff at Dollarama anymore and get it all at Dollartree - which does let you return and exchange - not that I've ever actually had to do that.

The only thing I can think of that I'd actually expect a return/exchange on at Dollarama would be light bulbs and non-expired food that has gone bad. The QC on their CFL bulbs was terrible. I bought one and exchanged it without issue - although the guy was a teenager and probably DGAF.
Jan 16, 2017
12 posts
13 upvotes
This is like someone going into Krazy Bins asking for a refund... Dollarama is known as Buyer beware territory. Anyone thinking there getting Samsung or Sony quality build from a Tech-1 labeled product is insane. I'm not rich but I couldn't imagine walking into a Dollarama for a refund. I have no issue with refunds but only buy stuff questionable from places like Amazon, Costco or Princess auto where there's zero push-back where it comes to returns, Dollarama is consume / discard IMO.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2015
1200 posts
556 upvotes
Vancouver
I think it is case by case for refund/exchange

but this is the way how they keep it low cost (I know they sell $4 but still relatively lower cost)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5302 posts
3768 upvotes
Vancouver
Honestly i would be happy if they added a return/exchange policy. Yes they will likely increase the price when this happens but it does NOT mean we cant shop elsewhere. For things we won't return/exchange, you can always go to a different dollar store (as there are other options). I would be against all dollarstores adding a return policy but if one or two decide to add one and increase their prices, it would be a good thing for the customer. Of course the next question is would they increase the price so much that it ends up costing the same as amazon/walmart. In which case, adding the policy really doesnt benefit the consumer at all.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13450 posts
8826 upvotes
Markham
The reason dollarama can keep price low is because they imported poor quality stuff that it doesn't last long

No return is just one way to admit the fact. It's the effect of low quality, not the cause of low price

And when we say we only buy certain stuff so We don't need return, it's just like you only have amex card, so you only go to the place where accept amex and tell people that you don't need MasterCard and visa because everywhere accepts amex

They will keep increasing price regardless what.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3743 posts
1139 upvotes
Vancouver
The current lineups get super long and there doesn't always seem to be enough cashiers. I can't imagine throwing exchanges/returns into the mix. Lineups will definitely get longer!!

Although with that said.. I wouldn't mind exchanges at DR. I end up with so much random junk from there (usually due to FOMO after reading the DR hot deals threads) I end up not using.. I wouldn't mind being able to exchange it for more junk du jour. Face With Tears Of Joy
Oct 29, 2010
68 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver
Got a car windshield sun shade for 4 dollars, and it didn’t fit, although the packaging label said it should have fit for my model. Now I feel it was an unfair deal (customer misled by advertising) but yet justifying the potential return/exchange/refund convo for 4 bucks. Might as well give it away to some friends with smaller windshield car. And will be more careful about dollarama in the future.