Aug 21, 2011
118 posts
97 upvotes
Calgary

[Dollarama] Tools from Dollarama

Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
I've recently bought a lot tools, only find that lots of these tools are also available at Dollarama.

Because they have increased their price to 4$, so the choice is a lot more than before

Here are some pictures that I took today
Images
  • PXL_20210610_223048778.jpg
  • PXL_20210610_223059443.jpg
  • PXL_20210610_223108704.MP.jpg
  • PXL_20210610_223052952.jpg
  • PXL_20210610_223145794.jpg
  • PXL_20210610_223154350.jpg
56 replies
Sep 7, 2017
833 posts
744 upvotes
Those are dollarama brands at dollarama quality. They can serve a purpose but not hot deals or anything special. Photo 5 may be the exception.
Last edited by Bidjaan on Jun 10th, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4562 posts
3329 upvotes
You've already bought Duramax Pro tools elsewhere or just the same type of tools elsewhere? Tool quality can vary significantly and while they might be good enough for you, most tools Dollarama sells are very low quality.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4874 posts
2166 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I can’t imagine any of those screw drivers or sockets will last long at all before stripping. They are likely all a loose fit to begin with.

I’m all for shopping at Dollarama for certain things but tools are definitely not one of those things. I like a good quality, reliable tool that I know is going to work when I need it.
Nov 17, 2019
808 posts
2001 upvotes
I understand these are bad quality, but they are fine for assembling ikea furniture when starting out in a new apartment/city. A lot of young people are not/will not be homeowners.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4939 posts
1445 upvotes
Wat
Bits are soft and strip almost immediately. Lesson learned. The non-bit items might be worthwhile.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5858 posts
2051 upvotes
quantman wrote: I understand these are bad quality, but they are fine for assembling ikea furniture when starting out in a new apartment/city. A lot of young people are not/will not be homeowners.
Cheap tools are never "fine". They're frustrating to work with and are more trouble than they're worth. Makes way more sense to get some proper, mid-priced decent tools and have them forever.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4429 posts
1975 upvotes
Parry Sound
$4 for the Stanley screwdriver may be the only thing worth it
quantman wrote: I understand these are bad quality, but they are fine for assembling ikea furniture when starting out in a new apartment/city. A lot of young people are not/will not be homeowners.
Not being a homeowner is a weak excuse to not have some handyman skills.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
3160 posts
2643 upvotes
BC
Ikea has a tool set for $9.99 regular price and sometimes on sale for $6.99

That set is pretty good value if you get it on sale. The bits are decent quality and you get everything you need including a hammer for those screws that just don't want to cooperate! Lol... Or for the nail portion of their furniture assembly (rare)
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1592 posts
5195 upvotes
Calgary, AB
OP didn’t say these tools are for an electrician or mechanic or anything. These are probably just fine for people who need to use them a couple time per year.
Sep 8, 2017
69 posts
208 upvotes
I have a couple of these Dollarama tools. I used them to set up some furniture in a new apartment when I moved in last August and haven't used any of the tools since. It was well worth the $4 for me, since I used them so sparingly. Anyone using them more often will definitely want to invest in some higher-quality tools. That being said, I wouldn't necessarily call these a hot deal, since this is the regular price they sell at.
Last edited by CapKap on Jun 11th, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ever since I discovered RFD, I've spent so much money in the interest of saving money...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5858 posts
2051 upvotes
blyndfyre wrote: OP didn’t say these tools are for an electrician or mechanic or anything. These are probably just fine for people who need to use them a couple time per year.
That may be so, but have you ever had avbad tool fail you? There are few things more frustrating than trying to get a job done, thinking the tool you have will help, and then having it fail (or worse, causing damage to the thing you're working on).

I would even venture to say cheap tools are probably one of the reasons many people even give up on trying to do any kind of handy work on their own.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Jun 21, 2017
361 posts
780 upvotes
Stanley screwdriver will get, thanks OP.

That bit wrench is hilariously weird!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12170 posts
4543 upvotes
Toronto
I would buy a goods set of tool than paying a cheap set and have to buy a new one every year.
If someone is an home owner, chance are there is always some here and there to fix or new install.

Buy a good set and keep it at home and when you need it, you will thank yourself that you bought a good quality one to make the job easier.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
3160 posts
2643 upvotes
BC
Toukolou wrote: That may be so, but have you ever had avbad tool fail you? There are few things more frustrating than trying to get a job done, thinking the tool you have will help, and then having it fail (or worse, causing damage to the thing you're working on).

I would even venture to say cheap tools are probably one of the reasons many people even give up on trying to do any kind of handy work on their own.
MP3_SKY wrote: I would buy a goods set of tool than paying a cheap set and have to buy a new one every year.
If someone is an home owner, chance are there is always some here and there to fix or new install.

Buy a good set and keep it at home and when you need it, you will thank yourself that you bought a good quality one to make the job easier.
CT Mastercraft tools are cheap and comes with lifetime warranty... Wear them out and get a new one!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
3098 posts
5590 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Buy quality tools that will last so that u don't keep adding more made in China crap tools into the landfill.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4429 posts
1975 upvotes
Parry Sound
muffin4life wrote: CT Mastercraft tools are cheap and comes with lifetime warranty... Wear them out and get a new one!
Many of their tools are no longer "lifetime".

Sears' Craftsman is dead. It's just another bargain bin tool brand now.

HD's Husky has lifetime warranty on some tools, I think. But most aren't.

Both are made by Stanley Black & Decker. I think they want to push everyone to their Stanley brand of tools.

They also make DeWalt.
Last edited by MayorOfToronto on Jun 10th, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2049 posts
2073 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: Many of their tools are no longer "lifetime".

Sears' Craftsman is dead. It's just another bargain bin tool brand now.

HD's Husky has lifetime warranty on some tools, I think. But most aren't.

Both are made by Stanley Black & Decker. I think they want to push everyone to their Stanley brand of tools.

They also make DeWalt.
no most of their tools are still lifetime
Apr 23, 2008
273 posts
144 upvotes
Ottawa
My grandfather used to say, when you buy a cheap tool, you pay twice.

I learned he was right when I bought a cheap socket set to replace the alternator on my car. The socket actually split open. I tried to return it and was denied and told that I had abused it.