Sep 28, 2009
439 posts
394 upvotes

[Dollarama] - USB Wall Plug Receptacles - 2.4A - $4 - Wpg YMMV

Price:
Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
Saw these today for $4. They simply replace the faceplate on your current square standard household 120V plugs and the metal flanges make contact on the sides of your plugs to provide power.

Gave one a try, installed in seconds, and currently charging both a full size iPad with a third party cable (and Apple's can be finicky) AND my Nexus 7" tablet at the same time so I'd say these are a go for the price especially considering unlike many other designs on the market, they do not utilize one of your existing plugs. Went back and bought more locally in Winnipeg. Also built in is a small (3 LED bulb) nightlight on the underside and is operated by the button you see on the front AND automatically with a light sensor built into this faceplate as well (so they turn on at night automatically). Again, all for the price of FOUR BUCKS.

20200708_161932.jpg
20200708_161912.jpg
20200708_161818.jpg
20200708_165602.jpg
48 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1714 posts
9141 upvotes
Employee: "Boss, we've made a wall receptacle with 2 USB ports without adding bulk or taking up outlets!"
Boss: "Great, what other feature can we add?"
Employee: "Uh, does a wall outlet need anything else?"
Boss: "ADD AN LED LIGHT ON THE BOTTOM! CONSUMERS LOVE LIGHTS!"

(Jokes aside, great deal OP - but the light still cracks me up, especially in your photo)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9437 posts
1620 upvotes
Vancouver
OK stupid question time, where do the USB ports and LED lights draw their power from?
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1090 posts
549 upvotes
GTA
1226 wrote: OK stupid question time, where do the USB ports and LED lights draw their power from?
It looks like from the electrical box itself
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
6332 posts
2244 upvotes
GTA
1226 wrote: OK stupid question time, where do the USB ports and LED lights draw their power from?
This:
Kleftiko wrote: ... They simply replace the faceplate on your current square standard household 120V plugs and the metal flanges make contact on the sides of your plugs to provide power.
From what i see, looks like the side tabs touch the contacts on the outlet (inside the wall part of the outlet) on each side.
Last edited by porksoda on Jul 8th, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
2333 posts
721 upvotes
From your cell phone which u plug into its usb port
‎3 Apples that changed the world: the one that Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the one that Steve Jobs built.
R.I.P Steve jobs...!!
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1432 posts
304 upvotes
Edmonton
I am so dumb, i read the explanation but still don't know where it draws the power from without connecting directly to the electricity source. :-(

i saw this at my local store too and i stood there with a question mark moment.
Aug 19, 2018
80 posts
10 upvotes
I have an outdoor plug in my soffit for a camera. I was thinking of plugging in a Wyze camera with an outdoor shield up there. Do we think that this would work to make it a little neater instead of a large plug hanging down or should I just find a 90' USB plug?
Nov 9, 2008
598 posts
169 upvotes
Ottawa
Voted up because it’s a good deal but I don’t get how this is powered...just hope it’s not battery powered!!
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3122 posts
18040 upvotes
It’s 1.2A per outlet, ain’t much - wonder if it can be hacked to add more output Thinking Face
Sep 26, 2016
33 posts
22 upvotes
I bought these and installed them on my outlets at home too. The instructions specifically said the two metal clip has to touch the metal portion of the outlet. I tried installing them without the metal clips connecting and the USB outlets won't work. I threw out the instructions already but pretty sure that's where the power for the USB and lights came from.
Nov 6, 2009
984 posts
184 upvotes
This thing generates it own power and supplies to the grid too
[OP]
Sep 28, 2009
439 posts
394 upvotes
d5486 wrote: Voted up because it’s a good deal but I don’t get how this is powered...just hope it’s not battery powered!!
Ok hang on everyone, I'll explain in a moment with pics and no, there are no batteries required!
markopas wrote: It’s 1.2A per outlet, ain’t much - wonder if it can be hacked to add more output Thinking Face
I'm quite certain it's 2.4A total meaning shared, meaning if you have just one device plugged into the USB it'll be drawing up to 2.4A while charging. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Dec 24, 2007
769 posts
383 upvotes
Kingston
Only word of caution is to make sure they fit your outlet snug since they're friction fit adapters. A loose fit would mean arc and sparking which could lead to a fire. Search for similar devices on amazon and you can see the occasional reviews where people have run into issues. Great little device, just make sure it fits your particular outfit properly!
Jul 9, 2007
530 posts
61 upvotes
Oakville
Very novel product.
I'm a little surprised it passed testing. The leads contacting the screws on the side assume the receptacle meets the standards.
I'm going to try them, clean alternative to the little bricks I have.
Agree with MaDgamEr. Make sure they're tight