Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dollarama

- USB Wall Plug Receptacles - 2.4A - $4 - Wpg YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 12:36 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1874 posts
6385 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Thinking about this a little more, if you have any split receptacles, common above kitchen counters, I wouldn’t install this. For split receptacles each of the two brass screws has separate 120VAC and the contact tabs on this USB plate could create a 240VAC short circuit across them!
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2963 posts
388 upvotes
The usb charge extremely slow

Be warn
Look here
Jun 13, 2017
672 posts
459 upvotes
Ajax, Ontario
I got one today before reading this thread. OP mentioned it, but I will mention it again.

It is not for the traditional face plate!

"If you offend the OP instead of thanking him, I will gladly report you for either harassment or off-topic."

ArloCopter
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1874 posts
6385 upvotes
Calgary, AB
porksoda wrote: Well you can switch your outlet to a decora style... no biggie.
Then you may as well install a receptacle with built-in USB ports and avoid this ugly monstrosity altogether.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
11388 posts
5760 upvotes
Vaughan
blyndfyre wrote: Then you may as well install a receptacle with built-in USB ports and avoid this ugly monstrosity altogether.
But those are pricier. Standard decora receptacle without cover can be had for $3 (probably not even the best price) plus this piece for $4. USB receptable is notably more than $7.

More importantly, what about the light?! Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7110 posts
2891 upvotes
GTA
blyndfyre wrote: Then you may as well install a receptacle with built-in USB ports and avoid this ugly monstrosity altogether.
True. At $4 its a temptation but then you are tied to an outlet, i prefer using my high amperage chargers and take em with me room to room.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
Interesting design!

I'm worried about longevity of those lights tho..
<inappropriate signature>
Dec 15, 2012
705 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
Raead wrote: The usb charge extremely slow

Be warn
how slow compared to lets say a regular iphone cube?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1704 posts
819 upvotes
Toronto
MaDgamEr wrote: Only word of caution is to make sure they fit your outlet snug since they're friction fit adapters. A loose fit would mean arc and sparking which could lead to a fire. Search for similar devices on amazon and you can see the occasional reviews where people have run into issues. Great little device, just make sure it fits your particular outfit properly!
Kleftiko wrote: Ok so if you refer to the diagram below, the metal flanges that are built into this plate will be making contact with the metal screws that you find on the sides of plugs (they are hot/live) and thus providing power to the bottom portion of this wall plate (for the USB charging and night lights).
blyndfyre wrote: Thinking about this a little more, if you have any split receptacles, common above kitchen counters, I wouldn’t install this. For split receptacles each of the two brass screws has separate 120VAC and the contact tabs on this USB plate could create a 240VAC short circuit across them!
My translation of all these is "if I don't know what you're talking about, then I should skip this, it is not worth the risk. "What do you mean the metal screws are hot/live? Face With Tears Of Joy"
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2380 posts
1593 upvotes
Kitchener
I guess If your outlet if powered by 2 circuit, ie the top outlet and the bottom are on separate circuits, youd want to make sure the metal clips from this are not so wide they bridge the two together..
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2380 posts
1593 upvotes
Kitchener
blyndfyre wrote: Thinking about this a little more, if you have any split receptacles, common above kitchen counters, I wouldn’t install this. For split receptacles each of the two brass screws has separate 120VAC and the contact tabs on this USB plate could create a 240VAC short circuit across them!
Thank you for highlighting this, this is what I was trying to say, but not sure if i articulated it well. You have.
May 30, 2013
545 posts
622 upvotes
Markham
I know it is not necessary, but I always wrap my receptacles with electrical tape just to be safe. These thing seems to draw power from just touching the side of the hot and netural terminals. Is there any safety concern if using it?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2580 posts
3643 upvotes
GTA
It's ETL tested by Intertek, so there's that, but this raises too many red flags for me to consider it. Just like those electrical receptacles where you can insert the wire in the back (vs. using the proper screws).
Then again, I never build to minimum code either.

If you're going to use this, take some care installing it. You're playing with live 120VAC.
As others have said, ensure that the contacts are very firmly pressing onto the receptacle. There should be some resistance as you press it on from the spring metal.
If not, you can have arcing and over time that can cost a lot more.

I would also remove this annually and check for any arcing (black marks) on the contacts.
And even easier: Occasionally feel that the wallplate is not warm on the sides of the receptacle (where the contacts are); it should never be. If it is, time to remove.
(warm = there's resistance on the contacts, causing heat, or arcing causing heat, both should never happen on a proper connection).
Dec 2, 2009
593 posts
868 upvotes
karlb wrote: It's ETL tested by Intertek, so there's that, but this raises too many red flags for me to consider it. Just like those electrical receptacles where you can insert the wire in the back (vs. using the proper screws).
Then again, I never build to minimum code either.

If you're going to use this, take some care installing it. You're playing with live 120VAC.
As others have said, ensure that the contacts are very firmly pressing onto the receptacle. There should be some resistance as you press it on from the spring metal.
If not, you can have arcing and over time that can cost a lot more.

I would also remove this annually and check for any arcing (black marks) on the contacts.
And even easier: Occasionally feel that the wallplate is not warm on the sides of the receptacle (where the contacts are); it should never be. If it is, time to remove.
(warm = there's resistance on the contacts, causing heat, or arcing causing heat, both should never happen on a proper connection).
Sounded like it could be a good deal, but I'd rather not take these kind of risks with dollar store items.

Thanks a lot for the explanation.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6675 posts
2909 upvotes
Montreal
I'm not sure if they're the originator, but SnapPower has been selling similar products since 2014. However, SnapPower has the lighting and USB charger as separate options.

These are a great price at $4 each, but I don't really need both features. In places where I'd regularly use the USB charger (by my bed or the kitchen counter) I don't need/want a nightlight. And in the places where I'd want a nightlight (hallway, staircase), I have no need for a USB charger.

That said, I'll probably get 1 or 2 if I see them just to try them out.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
2564 posts
2151 upvotes
Montreal
I don't think this would be up to standard electrical code and CSA approved.
Oct 2, 2008
231 posts
90 upvotes
makaheehee wrote: I have an outdoor plug in my soffit for a camera. I was thinking of plugging in a Wyze camera with an outdoor shield up there. Do we think that this would work to make it a little neater instead of a large plug hanging down or should I just find a 90' USB plug?
I received and email saying Wyze will have an outdoor camera releasing very soon. rather that toy with the idea of a long USB and a Camera not designed for outdoor use. it might be in your best interest to wait for the outdoor wyze cam.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)