Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dollarama

- USB Wall Plug Receptacles - 2.4A - $4 - Wpg YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 12:36 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1874 posts
6386 upvotes
Calgary, AB
karlb wrote: It's ETL tested by Intertek, so there's that, but this raises too many red flags for me to consider it. Just like those electrical receptacles where you can insert the wire in the back (vs. using the proper screws).
Then again, I never build to minimum code either.

If you're going to use this, take some care installing it. You're playing with live 120VAC.
As others have said, ensure that the contacts are very firmly pressing onto the receptacle. There should be some resistance as you press it on from the spring metal.
If not, you can have arcing and over time that can cost a lot more.

I would also remove this annually and check for any arcing (black marks) on the contacts.
And even easier: Occasionally feel that the wallplate is not warm on the sides of the receptacle (where the contacts are); it should never be. If it is, time to remove.
(warm = there's resistance on the contacts, causing heat, or arcing causing heat, both should never happen on a proper connection).
Here's the thing about terminating a receptacle by pushing wires into the back as opposed to using the screws (called quick-wire), most installers who use this method then ensure all four screws are fully tightened. This would actually push the screws in tighter to the receptacle than they would have been if a wire were under them. This would in turn mean this USB wall plate's contact tabs are making a connection with less pressure against the screw heads than they would if the receptacle was not "quick-wired".

Good that you mention you are playing with 120VAC, but as I mentioned earlier, you can also be playing with 240VAC for split receptacles.

Another point I should mention - many homes often have a receptacle that has it's upper or lower half switched, to be used with a plug in lamp. If this USB plate contact tabs do in fact make a connection with both screws on both sides of the receptacle, you'll have just rendered that switch useless by installing this.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2580 posts
3644 upvotes
GTA
blyndfyre wrote: Good that you mention you are playing with 120VAC, but as I mentioned earlier, you can also be playing with 240VAC for split receptacles.

Another point I should mention - many homes often have a receptacle that has it's upper or lower half switched, to be used with a plug in lamp. If this USB plate contact tabs do in fact make a connection with both screws on both sides of the receptacle, you'll have just rendered that switch useless by installing this.
Yes, thanks for mentioning split receptacles (used a lot on kitchen counters in the pre-GFCI era). Using this would be a code violation in that case and also a really bad idea for so many reasons.
And ditto for the split/switched outlets.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2009
463 posts
417 upvotes
Raead wrote: The usb charge extremely slow

Be warn
Not my experience. I'm used to "Fast Charging" with my Galaxy's S9+ fast charger (USB C) and using the USB straight into this faceplate gave me the same fast charging results (solo, plugged in with no other devices in the second slot)
Nov 22, 2017
119 posts
208 upvotes
To me, this looks sketchy AF, there's NO WAY something like this has CSA approval.
Jun 12, 2017
75 posts
145 upvotes
Belleville, ON
I'm sitting here doing an assignment for Electrical Safety Code class... I don't think this would pass the CEC requirements in any way xD, even if it did I wouldn't trust xtreme to make quality electronics. I bet there's hardly any isolation from the mains to the device side. Soldering is probably super sloppy. If you don't care about the things in your home buy this firestarter.
Koodo $60/12gb
3gb w/ freeFido LG Gpad III ($50 BB Giftcard)
Sierra Aircard 763s
Mar 3, 2018
15 posts
3 upvotes
Is this approved by csa or ul. I don't see it on the package
[OP]
Sep 28, 2009
463 posts
417 upvotes
lodimyaui wrote: Is this approved by csa or ul. I don't see it on the package
On the bottom of the box it says "RoHs" & "ETL Listed"

Fairly certain ETL is another alternative to CSA but essentially prove the same thing.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1827 posts
910 upvotes
It's a neat idea, but, you can buy USB receptacles at Home Depot and even Costco, and it will take you only a few minutes to install and wire, and I'd trust them much more than I'd trust this.

Sure this one is only $4, but messing with your home electrical wiring isn't the place where I'd want to cheap out.

Buy one of these, swap out the whole outlet, takes 5-10 minutes.

https://www.homedepot.ca/search?q=usb%2 ... receptacle
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1569 posts
456 upvotes
I found it in store. Looked at it and didn't buy it. Looked cheaply made, didn't want to take the risk. Cool product tho.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)