Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dollarama

Voltax 200 Pocket Flashlight -- 200 Lumens - IP4 Rated - 40 meter range beam ($4)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2023 12:19 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1666 posts
2661 upvotes
I found the 3 AAA battery version and it's very bright! It's metal, but pretty light. Be nice if you could focus beam, but oh well, it's $4. Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2010
1677 posts
4920 upvotes
Montreal
The one @th3xeroeagle posted are the older LED models.
Current new ones are COB LED.
Different tech, and if I'm correct the old ones are DIP.
A random site describing the difference: https://www.sedna.lighting/types-of-led ... md-vs-cob/

@blackmenthol depends on your use and portability, haven't test the pen one personally.

The best flashlight from dollarama is still the zoomable voltax if you can still find them.

Attached are comparisons of the new cob model vs the zoomable voltax.
Two issues I've noticed:
-The cob model is a bit shorter, so if you want to buy 18650 rechargeable batteries it won't really work cus you can't screw the flashlight fully or it will pop out the power button. You can plug back the power button if it pops out.
-The lens in the end of the flashlight is inferior so the light ends up less focused and dispersed (1st image). Also lacks the zoom feature which i've found useful when you need more brightness in a smaller location (2nd and 3rd image).
Images
  • IMG_20210822_140545.jpg
  • IMG_20210822_140603.jpg
  • IMG_20210822_140711.jpg
  • IMG_20210822_140229.jpg
  • IMG_20210822_141822.jpg
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17018 posts
4806 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
frugalcanuck wrote: I found the 3 AAA battery version and it's very bright! It's metal, but pretty light. Be nice if you could focus beam, but oh well, it's $4. Thanks OP!
Got it. I think the thinner version, is also 200 lumens, but 2 AAs (probably shorter life) but does have focus beam
Jan 5, 2007
351 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver
Burnaby, BC - Metrotown only had the really cheap Voltax looking one. 14 individual LEDs, took 3 AAA, for $4
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17018 posts
4806 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
major153 wrote: Burnaby, BC - Metrotown only had the really cheap Voltax looking one. 14 individual LEDs, took 3 AAA, for $4
I think these are in short supply or high demand, I can't find any locally lately. Went back to get another one! Darn.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
1773 posts
754 upvotes
Montreal
Update for Montreal folks again.
Dollarama galleries des normandies has 10 like the one in op, aisle 4.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1621 posts
1192 upvotes
Calgary
lonematrix wrote: Has anybody seen in Calgary, AB ?
I picked up one at the Beacon hill location. The one closest to Bestbuy
Mar 7, 2011
254 posts
295 upvotes
Moronto
azn0Richard0 wrote: The one @th3xeroeagle posted are the older LED models.
A random site describing the difference: https://www.sedna.lighting/types-of-led ... md-vs-cob/

@blackmenthol depends on your use and portability, haven't test the pen one personally.

The best flashlight from dollarama is still the zoomable voltax if you can still find them.

Two issues I've noticed:
-The cob model is a bit shorter, so if you want to buy 18650 rechargeable batteries it won't really work cus you can't screw the flashlight fully or it will pop out the power button. You can plug back the power button if it pops out.
-The lens in the end of the flashlight is inferior so the light ends up less focused and dispersed (1st image). Also lacks the zoom feature which i've found useful when you need more brightness in a smaller location (2nd and 3rd image).

Something similar at Princess Auto.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/2-pk-le ... 0008939266
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16793 posts
7467 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of different flashlight options out there. Many are thick and bulky, so they are not suitable for EDC pocket carry.

The one in the OP is a penlight with a pocket clip. Thin and light, very good size for EDC. Had to go to 4 Dollaramas to find one of these.

Good deal for $4, comparable price to Aliexpress and possibly cheaper.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16793 posts
7467 upvotes
Toronto
blackmenthol wrote: Both is here for me, which one is better?
I would take the one in the OP anyday as it much better for pocket carry, is slim and has a shirt pocket clip.

If a flashlight is too bulky you will end up not carrying it on your person and are less likely to have it when you need it.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16793 posts
7467 upvotes
Toronto
azn0Richard0 wrote: The one @th3xeroeagle posted are the older LED models.

Two issues I've noticed:
I have the zoomable Voltax. It's good for what it is, but I never carry it as it's way too bulky. It needs to be in a bag or glove box.

The light in the OP is ideal, pocket penlight size.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23567 posts
5725 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote: I would take the one in the OP anyday as it much better for pocket carry, is slim and has a shirt pocket clip.

If a flashlight is too bulky you will end up not carrying it on your person and are less likely to have it when you need it.
Dang, seeing this thread makes me want one too…..but I’ve checked a couple of Dollaramas and can’t find

Is this the same one on eBay?

I can order from eBay and wait if it is:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/303813815618?ha ... SwPzVf2quT

Edit: Bought 2 off eBay to try out

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16793 posts
7467 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: Dang, seeing this thread makes me want one too…..but I’ve checked a couple of Dollaramas and can’t find

Is this the same one on eBay?

I can order from eBay and wait if it is:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/303813815618?ha ... SwPzVf2quT
Not the same, the power switch is different on each model. Ebay version claims '5000 lumens' which is ridiculous. Quality will likely be similar on each but hard to tell without having both in hand.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23567 posts
5725 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote: Not the same, the power switch is different on each model. Ebay version claims '5000 lumens' which is ridiculous. Quality will likely be similar on each but hard to tell without having both in hand.
I ordered 2 off eBay to check out.

We can do a virtual side by side comparison when I get it in 1 month

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
4296 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
DarkSaber wrote: Feels sturdy, got a button in the back for on/off and a single, large LED it seems? light is on the colder blue end of the spectrum IMHO. My packaging was a bit different than what was shown by another RFDler and it looks a little different too.

PXL_20210820_223947912.jpg

PXL_20210820_223928381.jpg

PXL_20210820_223907074.jpg
Could you measure the length of the inner tube minus spring & see if it could fit an 18650 cell? Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2010
1677 posts
4920 upvotes
Montreal
HKPolice wrote: Could you measure the length of the inner tube minus spring & see if it could fit an 18650 cell? Thanks
I've already tried it with a 18650. The tube is slightly short. You can screw it in and it's tight when you do so but possible.
If you screw it all the way down the force of the spring pops the bottom power button out of the tube.
So I wouldn't recommend using a 18650 on it, unless you somehow modify the tube to be slightly longer or the springs to be smaller or nearly non resistive.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
5129 posts
1595 upvotes
does it matter?
sorry OP to post here. I didn't want o create new thread as it might already exists. And didn't want to go thru the hoops of creating one. Sorry.
Just saw this LED Xtreme 3Ft LED strip light. USB powered with 24 key remote. 16 colours. I will get pic updated soon.
weedb0y wrote: Dollarama has these new Voltax 200 Lumen Pocket Flashlight (Pen Light) for $4.

Seems to be well built, metal, weatherproof (IP4) rating and runs on 2 AAA at 3V

- Adjustable Beam
- 2 Way LED
- Slide to Focus
- Pocket Clip

Aluminum Alloy construction (but not too heavy like my china import lights)
Max Output: 200 Lumens
Max Beam Distance: 40M

IMG_1195.jpg

Looks powerful. Since the people traffic increased in last few week I still avoiding dollarstore. so did not notice yesterday. but Thanks.
Last edited by callernamet on Aug 28th, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Mar 20, 2021
94 posts
245 upvotes
I like this flashlight because it is not bulky at all. Heavier then expected when comparing it to the old tech penlights made out of plastic with AG13 batteries that had to be thrown out because the batteries were not meant to be replaced.

I was unable to find the second light mode. I tried long press, quick press, halfway press, nothing worked. Unless mine is faulty, the only 2 modes that I have is on and off.

When I first turned it on I found that the head of the barrel was quite warm to the touch after a minute or two of being on, I will keep my eyes on it and report back if anything bad happens.

I would have preferred a recessed button to reduce accidentally switching it on when carrying it it my lunch bag. Overall it seems to be the most convenient flashlight that I would like to carry out of all the ones mentioned in this thread.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
5129 posts
1595 upvotes
does it matter?
azn0Richard0 wrote: I've already tried it with a 18650. The tube is slightly short. You can screw it in and it's tight when you do so but possible.
If you screw it all the way down the force of the spring pops the bottom power button out of the tube.
So I wouldn't recommend using a 18650 on it, unless you somehow modify the tube to be slightly longer or the springs to be smaller or nearly non resistive.
from where you got this 18650? I want for my door video ringer but they are expensive I guess. But I can try to fit those in this flashlight with some DIY tricks. any details?

OK found the old thread here.
dollarama-xtreme-3ft-multicolour-led-st ... 4-2433564/
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

langong