Expired Hot Deals

[Dollarama] Voltax camping flashlight $4

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2019 1:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3634 posts
1827 upvotes
Vancouver

[Dollarama] Voltax camping flashlight $4

Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
Similar to this https://www.amazon.ca/Etekcity-Adjustab ... 07F75SKKH/
Judging by the package, should be a regular item at all the stores.
Image
12 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13516 posts
4029 upvotes
RFD
Not quite similar to the link you posted on Amazon. This one has COB LEDs while the Amazon one has inferior old fashion LEDs not even SMDs. The dollar store one with the COB variant is better.

Do you know if this one takes Double A batteries or the stupid triple As?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 27, 2003
974 posts
412 upvotes
If it has even semi decent build quality, this is a great deal. Nice find OP!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 24, 2005
2203 posts
2157 upvotes
radeonboy wrote: Not quite similar to the link you posted on Amazon. This one has COB LEDs while the Amazon one has inferior old fashion LEDs not even SMDs. The dollar store one with the COB variant is better.
Do you know if this one takes Double A batteries or the stupid triple As?
If it is similar to this COB camping lantern on (US) Amazon (and they look identical, although the Amazon product does not mention "flame effect feature"), then it takes 3X AA batteries:
https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Lantern- ... B01KT54XYO
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 9, 2010
1272 posts
2386 upvotes
Montreal
Spotted these early this week and was just lazy on posting.
They are better quality than the regular ones sold as this one has a flame and regular setting.
The light can be pushed down to compact and close the light.
Pulling it up turns on the light and it interchanges between the light settings by you closing and opening the light back up.

Didn't need but bought for science. Here's some gifs to save you money if it's not what you expected.
Image
Image
Newbie
Nov 25, 2010
95 posts
152 upvotes
Laval
Can confirm, they take 3x AA
10 available at Yonge & Sheppard in Toronto
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 1, 2005
1553 posts
1232 upvotes
Canada's South Coast
Thanks OP.....spotted these at the Dollarama at Wellington/Commissioner in London ON today ….the flame effect is a bit cheesy in a close setting however, in a dark environment, it works OK... the regular bright mode is enough to light a small area .... although it's not as bright as I expected. I guess the choice of light ambience is the primary seller here Smiling Face With Sunglasses Wish the switch had a built-in on/off 18 hr off/6 hr on timer....that would have made this an awesome deal IMHO.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 23, 2004
3368 posts
1435 upvotes
Vancouver
azn0Richard0 wrote: Spotted these early this week and was just lazy on posting.
They are better quality than the regular ones sold as this one has a flame and regular setting.
The light can be pushed down to compact and close the light.
Pulling it up turns on the light and it interchanges between the light settings by you closing and opening the light back up.

Didn't need but bought for science. Here's some gifs to save you money if it's not what you expected.
Image
Image
This is very helpful, thank you! So to confirm there's only two settings -- yellow 'flame' and blue 'solid' light? Any regular solid yellow/white light?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 9, 2010
1272 posts
2386 upvotes
Montreal
Bishop8 wrote: This is very helpful, thank you! So to confirm there's only two settings -- yellow 'flame' and blue 'solid' light? Any regular solid yellow/white light?
Right those are the two settings.
I wouldn't say the 2nd one is a blue light, but it's high in the spectrum of cool/daylight white.
You might be looking for warm white, which this camping light doesn't output.
My gif makes it a bit more blue than in real life probably the effect of the camera capturing it and the converter that processed the video to a gif.
Image
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13516 posts
4029 upvotes
RFD
Yikes that is not what I was expecting. Probably good for younger kids who go camping because of the lighting effects. I wonder how they get the COB LED to illuminate like that.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5075 posts
2437 upvotes
A Place to Stand
Damn. Got suckered in by this thread, but I think I just wasted 4 bucks. The flame effect is only tolerable if you diffuse it. I have to figure something better out, right now I just threw a produce bag over it to make it even half tolerable. I thought the other setting was a proper COB style LED super bright setting. Nope, its just a static odd blue/white LED caca not too bright waste of plastic. Skip this one folks.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13516 posts
4029 upvotes
RFD
midget_man wrote: Damn. Got suckered in by this thread, but I think I just wasted 4 bucks. The flame effect is only tolerable if you diffuse it. I have to figure something better out, right now I just threw a produce bag over it to make it even half tolerable. I thought the other setting was a proper COB style LED super bright setting. Nope, its just a static odd blue/white LED caca not too bright waste of plastic. Skip this one folks.
Yep looks like this is a gimmick for the kids. Not useful for adult usage.

Top