Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dollarama

Voltax utility light $4 (900 Lumens! ?)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2021 2:14 pm
Jan 18, 2006
219 posts
221 upvotes
Deux-Montagnes

[Dollarama] Voltax utility light $4 (900 Lumens! ?)

Was looking for a small LED light for some close up photography, found these nice lights at Dollarama! Super bright and has the batteries... Saw spots for a minute in store lol... Has a stand, hook and a magnet for multiple ways of placement.

Looks like it's a rebrand of the I-zoom :

Images
  • 20190321_185453.jpg
  • 20190321_181309.jpg
Last edited by TomRFD on Mar 21st, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: edited title
62 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2751 posts
2992 upvotes
Thanks, OP.
The 900 lumens claim is unrealistic, but it does put out a very useful amount of light.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Thanks. I got the CAT portable work lights from Costco for the same purpose but those were only 500 Lumens and needed 4xAA but they claim to have a longer reach of 25m.

Be interested to see how bright they are in comparison in the real world, but these are probably more defused with the multiple leds, which could be good or bad.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2587 posts
703 upvotes
The 3 "AAA"s kill it for me and safety warning at 1:30 mark of video, so keep away from kids.
Last edited by ciao on Mar 21st, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 18, 2006
219 posts
221 upvotes
Deux-Montagnes
Got a lux meter at work, tempted to test it out...
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
900 lumens is a lie
3AAA batteries could only sustain it for a few minutes even assuming the voltage sag doesn't kill the output
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Jun 12, 2017
77 posts
146 upvotes
Belleville, ON
Please do, I'm interdasted.
Koodo $60/12gb
3gb w/ freeFido LG Gpad III ($50 BB Giftcard)
Sierra Aircard 763s
Oct 23, 2005
684 posts
257 upvotes
For OP purpose, i am more interested about the light quality if more than one is used. i.e. colour temperature consistency.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
I saw this last weekend but didn't pick it up. It's very bright..
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
dasiuyan wrote: For OP purpose, i am more interested about the light quality if more than one is used. i.e. colour temperature consistency.
Its a very cheap light, the CRI is going to suck and the chips are probably whatever was cheap that day from the supplier.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Jun 30, 2009
8 posts
4 upvotes
Waterloo
Just bought two at the store in St Jacobs. Definitely cheap and bright. Should be great in the vehicle as way to brighten things under the hood if stopped at the side of the road. Just a couple of units left in the cheap tools aisle.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3198 posts
1023 upvotes
Vancouver
cbrute wrote: Just bought two at the store in St Jacobs. Definitely cheap and bright. Should be great in the vehicle as way to brighten things under the hood if stopped at the side of the road. Just a couple of units left in the cheap tools aisle.
For your purpose, may be a good idea to remove the batteries. Just in case, it drains while it's off. No point of having flashlight with dead battery when you need it.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2013
1046 posts
1308 upvotes
Ontario
Might as well get one of these for my car.
aramhir wrote: <image>
[Unrelated] Ah OP I see you too buy "cool" stuff from Japan. I recognize that JP Post label anywhere.
Mar 24, 2019
5 posts
4 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Its a very cheap light, the CRI is going to suck and the chips are probably whatever was cheap that day from the supplier.
I agree, LED lights often have pretty bad CRI even if they are sold as photography lights. I've never seen a cheep LED panel with good quality light. However these aren't $250 panels so it could be fun to buy a couple to mess around with. Just don't be surprised when you can't get the colours right.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9474 posts
2650 upvotes
From a utility purpose, they'll do the job. As a light to make people look good in pictures - maybe not so much.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
OP mentioned he uses it for macro, these could be useful as Fill / Back light in a pinch with people and not Key for reasons you mentioned.
Frankie3s wrote: From a utility purpose, they'll do the job. As a light to make people look good in pictures - maybe not so much.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9474 posts
2650 upvotes
hdom wrote: OP mentioned he uses it for macro, these could be useful as Fill / Back light in a pinch with people and not Key for reasons you mentioned.
Possibly, however I doubt that's what the manufacturer had in mind and more or less designed this for utility use only. Which for that purpose, works rather well.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
It is exactly the utility and small size that makes it appealing to photographer as well since a designed for photography small light could run upward of $100 which is probably why OP mentioned this could be an alternative and is appreciated. I do agree that it would likely work very as intended, just it can also be very useful for another things, too.
Frankie3s wrote: Possibly, however I doubt that's what the manufacturer had in mind and more or less designed this for utility use only. Which for that purpose, works rather well.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2011
1005 posts
994 upvotes
St. Catharines
The Dollarama on Welland Ave in St Catharines ON had two about 1pm. They only had one after I left. They were beside the light bulbs.

As already stated, very bright. Will be interesting to try it out tonight.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some days I think that I am the only person who knows how to use Google.
Jan 18, 2006
219 posts
221 upvotes
Deux-Montagnes
JonnieKing wrote: I agree, LED lights often have pretty bad CRI even if they are sold as photography lights. I've never seen a cheep LED panel with good quality light. However these aren't $250 panels so it could be fun to buy a couple to mess around with. Just don't be surprised when you can't get the colours right.
Yeah they're ok I guess for photography, mostly taking pictures of small items... Got Luminar 2018 to tweak the photos...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)