439 upvotes

[Dollarama] Waverly Pruning Shears $4.00

Price:
$4
Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
Also found THESE.

Seems like a great deal....Amazon is OVERPRICED...
What dancing banana ?
16 replies
Nov 10, 2011
139 posts
75 upvotes
Niagara Region
This morning, I bought a pair of these at the Dollarama on Glenridge in St Catharines (plaza with Cat Caboose). They had several more in stock about 10am in 3 (or more) handle patterns. I have already used these briefly and they worked fine They cut some dead branches easily that I thought might be a bit thick for them; however, they were a bit "sticky"(?) in their movement. I think they are worth $4 to me, and I might pick up another pair (although I am rarely near this particular store). However, I would NOT pay the $61.87 mentioned at Amazon. Lee Valley has Felco pruners for $46 which I suspect are much better than these (although I have never owned any). I have a pair of Fiskars pruners that I've had for a couple of years and they are much better.

FYI, I was in the Fonthill Dollarama (Highway 20 near Food Basics) after buying these, and I did not see any of the Waverly pruners. They did have some others (should have taken a pic).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some days I think that I am the only person who knows how to use Google.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
1813 posts
828 upvotes
GTA
blexann wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 7:55 pm
That's hot.

$61.87 on Amazon.ca lol https://www.amazon.ca/Waverly-Pruning-S ... B00HTR1HC2
Not exactly a good comparison when everyone is a 3rd party seller. They can list any price they want and it's not surprising that sometimes they'll list toilet paper for $300. Sure doesn't make other toilet paper a bargain.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7463 posts
1879 upvotes
Britex wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 6:02 pm
Not exactly a good comparison when everyone is a 3rd party seller. They can list any price they want and it's not surprising that sometimes they'll list toilet paper for $300. Sure doesn't make other toilet paper a bargain.
Yea not many are going to be ordering it at that price. $4 still great price though
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2995 posts
1754 upvotes
Vancouver
Remember a lot of amazon 3rd party sellers actually buy these and then inflate the price to whatever they inflate it to. Often time it ends up even higher than bigger brand versions found at Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc. Basically amazon price is a pretty bad reference unless it’s actually sold by the manufacturer... otherwise it’s no different than eBay pricing.
Nov 10, 2011
139 posts
75 upvotes
Niagara Region
I was in the Dollarama on Thorold Road in Welland (Food Basics plaza) about 3pm. They had these Waverly pruners in stock, along with some cheaper ones (still didn't take a pic).
Nov 10, 2013
244 posts
87 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
cpfan wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 5:30 pm
...Lee Valley has Felco pruners for $46 which I suspect are much better than these (although I have never owned any). I have a pair of Fiskars pruners that I've had for a couple of years and they are much better.
LV also sells some no name pruners for $20 something... They're great, come with a spare blade and way better than Fiscars. Almost as good as Felco. I would only buy Felco for special needs - left hand, smaller/bigger size etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
2284 posts
2961 upvotes
Langley, BC
Pruning Shears??? Are you 6?

You know Dollarama sells machetes, right? or.. they should...

Garden like a man... sheesh.
Nov 10, 2011
139 posts
75 upvotes
Niagara Region
gobseck wrote:
Jun 27th, 2019 4:21 pm
LV also sells some no name pruners for $20 something... They're great, come with a spare blade and way better than Fiscars.
For those that might be interested, gobspeck is talking about product AB330 from Lee Valley. It's $29.50. We had one of these and it worked well. My wife used it quite a bit for making porch pots. I threw it out this spring because the blade was in bad shape. I totally forgot that there was a new blade in my Lee Valley bits&pieces box. Regardless, I preferred the Fiskars one that we own. Probably personal preference and what you are using it for.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page ... 2706,40718
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6733 posts
2503 upvotes
Calgary
I bought a pair because they're pink. Used them once on something thinner than a pencil, they were all right. A friend of mine told me the pair she bought couldn't cut anything while a second friend said hers broke when she tried to cut a branch the size of a finger. Luckily, my husband has some good shears that I can use. This pair will sit on the shelf to look pretty. :lol:
Apr 30, 2009
464 posts
225 upvotes
GTA
Have Felco. They’re expensive, but so nice to use. They are not $4, but they’ll outlast me, something previous pruners have not. Got them on sale many, many years ago. Need to sharpen the blade now after all these years of use; they’re getting a bit dull, but still cut ok.
Jun 2, 2005
83 posts
106 upvotes
Saint Catharines
cpfan wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 5:30 pm
This morning, I bought a pair of these at the Dollarama on Glenridge in St Catharines (plaza with Cat Caboose). They had several more in stock about 10am in 3 (or more) handle patterns. I have already used these briefly and they worked fine They cut some dead branches easily that I thought might be a bit thick for them; however, they were a bit "sticky"(?) in their movement. I think they are worth $4 to me, and I might pick up another pair (although I am rarely near this particular store). However, I would NOT pay the $61.87 mentioned at Amazon. Lee Valley has Felco pruners for $46 which I suspect are much better than these (although I have never owned any). I have a pair of Fiskars pruners that I've had for a couple of years and they are much better.

FYI, I was in the Fonthill Dollarama (Highway 20 near Food Basics) after buying these, and I did not see any of the Waverly pruners. They did have some others (should have taken a pic).
I'll check pen centre and Glendale tomorrow when I'm in the area. Look good for just keeping spares around.
Nov 10, 2011
139 posts
75 upvotes
Niagara Region
althetrainer wrote:
Jun 27th, 2019 4:51 pm
I bought a pair because they're pink. Used them once on something thinner than a pencil, they were all right. A friend of mine told me the pair she bought couldn't cut anything while a second friend said hers broke when she tried to cut a branch the size of a finger. Luckily, my husband has some good shears that I can use. This pair will sit on the shelf to look pretty. :lol:
I bought a second pair of these Waverly pruners this afternoon. Just spent some time using them. The only problem I had was the lock doesn't work perfectly (some of the others in the store looked like the lock might NOT work at all). They cut nicely including some stuff that was thicker than I expected (definitely bigger than a pencil).